Moran park

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Moran park

Postby Gulliver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 pm

grammer wrote: hustle and cheat

Don't know the meaning of those words - had to look them up in the dictionary

The freedictionary.com defines hustle as "To move or act energetically and rapidly: We hustled to get dinner ready on time" It also has other definitions, but I'm certain that's the one you meant as appropriate to bowling, isn't it, Grammer? ;) ;) ;)

We often wear windcheaters, when we play in foul weather - that's how the word cheat might come to be used in the same sentence with bowling :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 pm

We often wear windcheaters, when we play in foul weather - that's how the word cheat might come to be used in the same sentence with bowling

:D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am

This bowling joke just fell into my e mails couldn't resist putting it here,

Evidence has been found that William Tell and his family were avid

bowlers. Unfortunately, all the Swiss League records were destroyed

in a fire, ...

so we'll never know for whom the Tells bowled.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 pm

This is sad. The irony of it. Ye with me? :|

Strum
Administrator

Postby Toby » Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 pm

I`m with you Strum and it is sad, you cant blame the downturn for that mess its been like it for years. :(
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Mariner » Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm

they are about to fill it in and build a library
Mariner

Postby Rocker » Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Was down that way this afternoon and couldn't believe that the workmen were digging up the paving stones which were only recently laid. No joined up thinking and definitely no joined up paving stones. They were digging down so far I was aftraid they might ndermine the railway embankment/wall.There was no sign of an Engineer around. Lets hope they all know what they are doing.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri May 04, 2012 1:28 am

Was just looking at some old maps of DunLaoghaire and that water in the Moran Park is listed as reservoir. Does anyone know what feeds it ? is there a river ? It looked stagnant today.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,724591,728609,7,7
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 am

Rocker
If you look back at older maps you will find that this area was an extremely rocky area in times past, right down to the Peoples Park and beyond. Much of the rock was used in the construction of the piers. Then a reservoir was excavated out of the rock in order to be able to hold a reserve of fresh water for supply to ships. I do not know if it has any source except from rainwater. If it had any significant inflow of water, then it would also require an outflow, or else it would overflow.
I have looked at John DeCourcy Ireland's book on the harbour, and there is no mention of it. Nowadays, it comes under the jurisdiction of DLRCOCO rather than the Harbour Co
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I know there is an outlet pipe to the sea from the Pond. One of the Boy's who drowned wasn't found for about a Month as far as I can remember. His body was found in that pipe. Anybody remember the full story?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Fri May 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I'd forgotten about that sad story Strum..
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sun May 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Bowling Green is gone!

Strum
Administrator

Postby budgie » Sun May 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Strum wrote:I know there is an outlet pipe to the sea from the Pond. One of the Boy's who drowned wasn't found for about a Month as far as I can remember. His body was found in that pipe. Anybody remember the full story?

Hi Strum.
Don't remember the full story but i think one the boys was a Doyle from Convent road.
budgie

Postby keeper » Sun May 20, 2012 8:02 pm

About that outlet pipe, is or was it true that the water levels varied in the pond as the tide came in and went out in the harbour :?:
I heard that poor boy's body was found caught in the pipe just at the lifeboat station, don't know if that's true or not.
I often wondered how the water stayed in the pond if there was a pipe to the sea, I was told there was a valve on the pipe again near the Lifeboat House which could be open if required, but, for what reason would they open it :?: drain the pond :?: surely someone knows, I for one would love to know the story. Pity about the bowling green, all things change :cry:
keeper

Postby Holla » Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Sad to see the bowling green gone,if they build on all the land what will it be called then "The Moarn park building" :roll:
Holla

Postby Rocker » Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 am

Naw, I'd say just the Library :!: or the Civic Centre or the Civic, Library, Diaspora, Centre, CLDC for short ;) but I like your suggestion Moran park Building has a ring to it. :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Mon May 21, 2012 12:27 am

Yeh big deal about the bowling green -
the populace of the town never enjoyed the benifits of it -unless it was to walk past and look in.
keeper » Sun May 20, 2012 7:02 pm

About that outlet pipe, is or was it true that the water levels varied in the pond as the tide came in and went out in the harbour
I heard that poor boy's body was found caught in the pipe just at the lifeboat station, don't know if that's true or not.
I often wondered how the water stayed in the pond if there was a pipe to the sea, I was told there was a valve on the pipe again near the Lifeboat House which could be open if required, but, for what reason would they open it drain the pond surely someone knows, I for one would love to know the story

Interesting one keeper --
the pond was originally a water tank for the boats/ships in the harbour as far as I can remember reading on the site here-
I think it was in one of jordo's posts on Kingstown.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby farmboy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:31 am

Lest we forget....

Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Mon May 21, 2012 1:00 am

Amen to that farmboy.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 am

Folks,

Just as well I can't find the DunLaoghaire Gazette of May 17 that I was reading the other day. It gave the amount that Dun Laoghaire had spent building the new bowling centre in Eglington. You would have to be sitting down it was a gianormous amount and they had to get some special company to travel over to do the lawn as it had to be just so. Because the Council wanted vacant possession of the Park for the new development they expended that huge amount. Scary amount of money and have to say I never met anyone who had ever been in the bowling club - I always got the impression that they didn't want the ordinary janie macks in their club. Don't get me going about the state of the non existant baths ( off topic).
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Mon May 21, 2012 1:37 pm

My team of bowlers is due to play against Dun Laoghaire on 27th Aug - will be an opportunity to try out the new facilities. We normally play on grass, and so the local team will have an advantage over us with their artificial surface.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Now your talking Rocker :D
tell it like it is.
Scary amount of money and have to say I never met anyone who had ever been in the bowling club - I always got the impression that they didn't want the ordinary janie macks in their club.
Rocker
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Ah Gulliver :shock: that's not being positive, yiz are beaten already :cry: what if Chelsea adopted that attitude on Saturday, they were playing at the home of their opponents :? ya just gotta believe that your team is good enough to win, regardless :!:
Rocker, Bray and Dun Laoghaire Golf Clubs got huge incentives to move home, albeit for developers, agree with you that in these times it's obscene for Public money to be spent on such ventures, but you also can't blame the bowls club for accepting the offer. Then, on the other hand you have the likes of us moaning that nothing is ever done to enhance the Town or improve facilities etc. etc. So, may be it's a no win for the Council.
keeper

Postby Gulliver » Wed May 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Moran Park today

This was the bowling green :( :( :( :( :( :(

Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Sad to see onther landmark gone Gulliver. :cry: :cry: :cry:
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE