Moran park

The Town and its People past and present...

Moran park

Postby budgie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I passed by Moran park in the car today and it doesn't look the same,from the road anyway.what used to be the bowling green and the putting green seems to have disappeared.Is this another part of our old town snuffed out forever.???.can someone clarify.??? :( :(
budgie

Re: Moran park

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Budgie,

I read somewhere that they are preparing the park fopr the new Library even though I dont think the plans have been clarified! Strum posted some photos in Harbour down the years of the tree cutting . Will be interesting to see what transpires
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:47 pm

About the bowling club..... A note on their website reads "Since our foundation we were based in Moran Park in Dun Laoghaire town centre but as the club has expanded so too has our requirements and 2012 is an exciting year as we relocate to our new home in Eglinton Park (the old Dun Laoghaire Golf Club site). We expect to be in our new location by late March and as you can see from the photo above work is ongoing. "

As a bowler myself, who regularly plays against Dun Laoghaire, I hope that they are ready soon, as the leagues start 21st April. The new surface will be artificial, which is much harder to play on, and as a result, the games are longer, and the home team has a great advantage.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 am

Gulliver. Just thought now, Are you the Gent I met one day down there a couple of years ago and told you about the site?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am

Strum wrote:Gulliver. Just thought now, Are you the Gent I met one day down there a couple of years ago and told you about the site?

Don't recall.... but my recall ain't what it used to be .... and I haven't a clue what you look like, Strum.
Is there ever an occasion when contributors to this site get together over a pint??? even a coffee?

For purposes of bowling I am based at Railway Union in Sandymount, and have been known to captain a team against Dun Laoghaire at Moran Park
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Snowhite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

A few Photo's from Moran's Park last week.

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Well the slime seems to have been cleared somewhat. A disgrace to have left it for so long considering there is a family of Ducks in it.
Nice photos Snowy. Love the Magpie posing for you haha. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Here's a couple from a Month ago.

Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Great photos -snowy and Strum
is'nt it a blxxxdy disgrace that a lovely park like Moran is gonna be cfk'd for a library that will never be built -
and all the money that was spent through the years laying the bowling green
it was really something to see at its peak --
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Snowhite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Strum wrote:Well the slime seems to have been cleared somewhat. A disgrace to have left it for so long considering there is a family of Ducks in it.
Nice photos Snowy. Love the Magpie posing for you haha. :D

The Magpie was just about to set down on the grass, was hoping I'd got him with his wings open. :( Would somekind of fountain type thing in the pond help with Slime ? was it from the overgrown trees ? now they are gone it may help.
Snowhite

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Snowhite wrote:was it from the overgrown trees ? now they are gone it may help.

Possibly.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

And if they could stop the feckers throwing their empty beer cans in the water would help aswell. ;)
Snowhite

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Snowhite wrote:And if they could stop the feckers throwing their empty beer cans in the water would help aswell. ;)

They are all gone Snowy because the Cops were patrolling the Park. They're all down the back of the Pier now.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Not them all Strum, there were a couple down there when we were there and they were having a good aul drunken row between them, makes you feel very uneasy and also seen a few down in Scotsman Bay ???? Thought it was illegal to drink alcohol on the streets now.............where are the Gardai.
Snowhite

Postby farmboy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Well, Snowy,s pics are a nbig improvement on last July when I took these, didnt seem to do the ducks any harm though, maybe they get nourishment from the slime! :)

Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Snowhite wrote:Thought it was illegal to drink alcohol on the streets now.............where are the Gardai.

What's new Snowy. It IS illegal to have ANY open container of alcohol in ANY public place. They had chased them out of the park with patrolling but maybe with all the cutbacks the manpower is not enough.

Great shots Farmboy. Cool close-ups. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Great pics folks. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Great shots folks as usual,

The park is looking a little sorry at the moment. But I have to admit I spent years moaning about various things and waiting for "them" to fix it. Now, as I age I don't care what people think and have the auld shovel and brush in the back of the car and if something is annoying me I try to sweep it or clean it myself. I got a graffetti kit from the council and try to get graffetti off the post boxes and ESB stations near my house. It pays off, sometimes other people stop to give a hand and in two years noone has put any new graffetti on the things I cleaned. I have to say that DunLaoghaire Rathdown Parks Dept is second to none all the public places have the most glorious displays of flowers at the moment.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Well done on the Graffiti, Rocker. It's good to see such public spirit.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am

Toss warned me a few weeks ago to chill out and not get depressed reading papers and watching the news!

Well I didn't listen. i got the Southside paper in the door and I am seething.
The article "Tree felling causes alarm" advises that on 5 March council workers cut down dozens of mature trees at Moran Park. Cllr Victor Boyhan (Ind) advised he was alarmed by the move. Cllr Jane Dillon Byrne (Lab) was shocked and surprised that the trees had been felled, she was not in favour of what the Council has done with the trees.
Well if the Cllrs are against it why did they let it go ahead - we the mere mortals are depending on them to voice for us at Council meetings !

The article advises that in 2009 councillors approved in principle the ambitious and costly - 36.6 million Euros plans for the new library, subject to availability of funding. And it is now confirmed that this will be funded from the council's own capital reserves, development levies and a grant from the Dept of the Environment, Community and Local Government.
Surely this money is needed for more basic items when Minister Phil Hogan says the council staff will be calling cap in hand to householders in the next week for the one hundred Euro household charge !! Who is running the Mad house?

In advance of the capital budget meeting last week Cllr Boyhan said he believed that it was "persumptive" of the council to start cutting down the trees before councillors had approved the capital budget!! I think so too!!

The article also says that in a recent statement the council said it had awarded the contract for the development to John Sisk and Sons construction company - how could they have done this if the budget etc has not been approved??

The article goes on to say the development will not just be a library but Cllr Dillon Byrne hoped there would also be a gallery and an exhibition area, music and community rooms - If the contract has been awarded surely Sisk know what thye are to build or will they just add on as they go?? Am I dopey but is there not already the Council Exhibition area on Marine Rd, Pavillion Theatre, Boylan Centre, various halls connected to Glasthule, Foxrock, Kill o Grange, Blackrock catholic churches, Knox Hall, Scouts Halls, Schools with halls V.E.C facilities, College of Art facilities,which could be openend to the public if they want ot play music??

Who lets me read the papers. Can anyone see the logic in spending a further 36.6 million Euros when we are on our knees?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Well said and written Rocker.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Rocker:

Well said! I haven't seen Southside for some time. Why is a new library being built in an area which no longer has a population. The existing
Carnegie Library can surely service the needs of the area. Where will the parking be for this 'new library and exhibition space'? I agree that no contract could be put to tender unless the Council had fully approved the budget and the design. When did DLRCC put the project for tender?
The plot thickens

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33 pm

You can see the approval of the capital expenditure for DLRCoCo on the link below - this includes the €36.6 for Moran Park described as follows:-
"Included in the Programme is the construction of the new Library/Arts/Culture/Community complex at Moran Park at an estimated cost of €36.6m. The Part 8 scheme for this project was approved by the Council in November 2009. The tender process has now been completed with the award of the tender to John Sisk and Sons and vacant possession of the site secured. The proposed development will consist of the following facilities:
1. a major public library, which will include a dedicated children’s library, teen space, local history & reference sections and space for Council archives
2. arts/cultural facilities including a multipurpose hall, a gallery, arts workshops & training areas and facilities for artists in residence,
3. community meeting rooms,
4. a café,
5. a major public plaza and
6. office accommodation for the Council’s Library HQ and Arts Office functions.
‘This is by far the most significant public infrastructure development in Dún Laoghaire for over 100 years”, said Councillor Bailey, adding that ‘it would make a major contribution to the regeneration of the town and to the county’.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latest ... 82,en.html

This should be read in conjunction with the Masterplan of the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Commissioners. Page 48 of that plan foresees the development of a Diaspora Centre on or near the Carlisle pier. The combination of these two developments, together with the Maritime museum and the Genealogical Archive, all within a couple of hundred metres will create a powerful cultural/heritage hub which will be a major attraction.

Is it a justifiable expenditure in the present economic times??? I don't know
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 am

great post gang
do we need a new super library-confrence centre-music gallery -
I think the answer is a big No-No -No
Even if half the households pay the €100 charge there will still not be enough money for a white elephant project like this -
I think the local councllors are bullsxxting us
is it not true that the co. manager now over rides all financial decisions in the county????
if so he will act on Gov. instructions -the co. councillors are only edge trimmings to make it look like democracy in action.
The Pavilion Centre -is it paying its way -or still costing a fortune in subs?????
Work has started on the new swimming pool in the leisure centre in Loughlinstown
or has it????????????
the Carlile pier is now an extension of the yatch club-is that its future????
whats the story on the Maritime Museum ????

there are a lot of projects out there that are pie in the sky
I have to say -Dun Laghaire is going to be a part of the history of bygone days
there are/were so many plans for the Boro
they will need an office block just to store them in.
:mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
by the way
I had all intentions of paying me hundred quid until that gobsxxxite Hogan (the minister in charge of)opened his mouth on the radio last week and issued veiled threats left right and centre-
all this week your going to hear a lot of propaganda of the hundreds of 1000s of people all Qing up to pay the charge - :mrgreen:
I hope the are not using the voting computers to store info on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 am

Thank you for posting that info Gulliver,

I will sit down and read it properly later. Sorry I went off on a rant yesterday, but, they are going on non stop on the radio about the household charge and austerity and they I read that article in the Southside about the 36.6 million which seemed to be just left over change in the coffers to the Council.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE