St. Colmcilles Hospital

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: St. Colmcilles Hospital

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Galligan scry scry scry scry scry scry scry scry
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Snowhite » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Navanman wrote:Snowy you would not believe it I was only thinking about you less than 30 secs. ago. Had not heard from you.

Yes Galligan was his name.

NM

Glad somebody was thinking of me ;) thank's NM, I've been here just lurking in the shadows for awhile. hellllo
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Jemser » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Welcome back Snowy, I was kinda lurkng recently myself......but Galligan YIKES.... flushed me out. I can still feel his foot on my chest as he yanked my teeth out. brushteeth brushteeth brushteeth
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Navanman wrote:My mother used mention Dr. Bartley Sheehan but I know nothing about the man. There was also a Dr. Moloney in Dun Laoghaire. I think he was a nice man but I only vaguely remember him. And a dentist almost facing McDonalds. Cannot remember his name.

NM

My wife worked with Bartley Sheehan in the practice in Glasthule. He died about 15 years ago. As kids, we had his father as our family doctor and we dreaded the sight of him coming to our house. He used give us lollipops which my mother secretly passed to him to give to us but it didnt make any difference. I suppose we were afraid of him and his serious manner didnt help. I think I,ve had a phobia of doctors since then! :?
I could be wrong, but there was a doctor killed when he crashed his car into a lamp post near Dalkey and I think it might have been him but I,m not certain if it was him or some other doctor.

My father was great friends with Dr Moloney, a big jolly man with a raucous laugh. He lived down Silchester Park way. He had 4 sons and sadly buried 2 of them many years before he passed away himself. His son of about 7 years strangled himself in an accident on a swing in their back garden. An older lad died some years before that after suffering limb amputation. ironically, another doctor lost his toddler son a few doors from the swing accident about 5 years ago. He crawled through a gap in the fence to the garden next door and into a shallow pond and unfortunately drowned.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby jaytee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I remember that Farmboy he was only 2 . Light of heaven to him.
jaytee

Postby Toss » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Jemser wrote:Welcome back Snowy, I was kinda lurkng recently myself......but Galligan YIKES.... flushed me out. I can still feel his foot on my chest as he yanked my teeth out. brushteeth brushteeth brushteeth

Yes I also had the pleasure of Herr Galligan applying his jackboot to my chest, whilst he was also fond of using his hands or should I say fists ..... I hope he died roaring :evil: I was terrified of dentists for most of my life after that butcher got his hands on me.

Now I attend Dr Jack Grennan on Patrick Street and cannot speak highly enough of him. No frill or graces, just a great service and the price is always right ;)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sputnik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I was born in Loughlinstown Hospital, so it can't have been too bad. I remember getting my first passport and place of birth was listed as Killiney (there's posh for you).
My father used tell me that when he visited he would take me out to watch the Sputnik sattelite passing over, hence my user-name.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby bugrock » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:10 am

So, Sputnik, yer only a kid yet! :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby spudseamus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:04 am

Ahh Galigan ! Yes indeed I will never forget him ! But I must say he saved a Christmas for me . Christmas week 1968 I had a toothache and went in to see him ,well it turned out it was one of the big ones on the bottom right at the back and I had an abscess on it!!! So what to do ! " you will need to have antibiotics first and then I will be able to take it out BUT if you do that I won't have time before Christmas Day ! So the other option is that I take it out without pain relief because the nova canine will not work with the abscess there !"
I was 16 and bullet proof and as well this assistant was a beautiful looker! So I says " ok take it out now" he raised his not inconspicuous eyebrows and said" are you sure? It will hurt ya know ! " go ahead says I ,anything to be rid of the pain !
So now the die was cast ! Fear flooded my whole being and the beautiful assistant looked as if her eyes were tearing up! Jazess no back in' out now ! My second thought was to Run! but my arms were at that moment being restrained with leather straps !!!!!!! Well he didn't use his boot on the chest but rather his knee and MOTHER OF GOD the pain as he clamped the pincers on the tooth! I can still hear the cracking as he twisted left and right and then the unmighty tug as he yanked it out !!!!!! So it was all over and the restraints were taken off and the auld " wash with this and spit it out in the bowl" and he was gone leaving me there in the chair BUT the pain was gone , the assistant ,did I mention she was gorgeous !, came over to me with the biggest pair of doe eyes I had ever seen and put the wadding in the humongous hole where the tooth had been and told me to clamp down on it! Ah then leaned over and whispered in my ear " that was the bravest thing I've ever seen " she then kissed me on the cheek !!!!! What pain ? What dentist ? Where was I ? Was this real? In my mind I had the coolest response prepared in a flash but unfouratnaly as yiz all know when your mouth is full of wadding nothing can sound cool when it actually dribbles out your mouth ! She patted my arm and walked away and our paths never crossed again.
So yes bitter sweet memory of Mr. Galigan hellllo
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 am

spudseamus wrote:the assistant ,did I mention she was gorgeous !, came over to me with the biggest pair of doe eyes I had ever seen

Great story Spud, I 'm so glad you said doe eyes :lol: :lol: :lol:

He probably hated you as he couldn't get his sadomasochistic kicks outta ya :roll:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 am

Sputnik wrote:I was born in Loughlinstown Hospital, so it can't have been too bad. I remember getting my first passport and place of birth was listed as Killiney (there's posh for you).
My father used tell me that when he visited he would take me out to watch the Sputnik sattelite passing over, hence my user-name.

This is surely worthy of a Blue Plaque. :D

Nowadays, a newborn baby and Mum would be away home before a satellite had even traversed the sky.
Last edited by Micheál on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 am

spudseamus wrote: . . . and then the unmighty tug . . . the biggest pair of doe eyes . . . kissed me on the cheek

I suffer this all the time. Every time my beloved extracts my wallet. Oh the pain of it.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 am

spudseamus wrote:
So yes bitter sweet memory of Mr. Galigan hellllo

Spud,

What a great story. I am squirming in my seat and can feel the pain and the elation ;)

Never met Galligan we had an absolute dote of a dentist in Blackrock. Mr Brady lived opposite the church and my mother cleaned their house so I think we were seen for free. Still have a full set of teeth thanks to him.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Navanman wrote:My mother used mention Dr. Bartley Sheehan but I know nothing about the man. There was also a Dr. Moloney in Dun Laoghaire. I think he was a nice man but I only vaguely remember him. And a dentist almost facing McDonalds. Cannot remember his name.

NM

Dr. Bartley Sheehan had his practise in Glasthule,lovely man and great doctor who died in his early 60's. I think that he was, at one stage, the State Pathologist or some other high medical post in government
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby farmboy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes Denis, you,re close enough there, he was the County Coroner. To be honest, I didnt know the difference but apparently the Coroner holds court at inquests and decides if an autopsy is required . The State Pathologist carries out the autopsy. When Dr Sheehan died , Dr Geragthy took over the mantle of County Coroner but I believe he has since retired so dont know who is currently in the hot seat.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:51 pm

That's the one FB,the story of me life, always nearly right,all me horses are beaten by short heads. :roll:
Denis Cromie

Postby farmboy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

haha Denis, at least you were lucky in love! :lol:
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Absolutely,what else could I say she has a gun to me head
Denis Cromie

Postby skins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 pm

farmboy wrote:Yes Denis, you,re close enough there, he was the County Coroner. To be honest, I didnt know the difference but apparently the Coroner holds court at inquests and decides if an autopsy is required . The State Pathologist carries out the autopsy. When Dr Sheehan died , Dr Geragthy took over the mantle of County Coroner but I believe he has since retired so dont know who is currently in the hot seat.

It's Dr. Brian Farrell, (just in case Denis's missus needs him in a hurry).
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Dr. Sheehan was assistant Master in St. Columcille's when my first two children
were born, he was Master when the third was born. He was Master in Holles Street.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby grammer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:20 am

Unfortunately for most of us St. Colmcilles kinda holds sad memories of a family member who has past on through our lifetime,
be it an aunt,uncle,grandfather or grandmother.
Like all hospitals you only use it when you or someone in the family is or has been sick and will be there for a short time.
I wont knock it.
The A&E, like St. Michaels in Dun Laoghaire is only as good as those who use it-if that makes sense.
I have seen through the years assxxles kicking the main doors for no other reason than they were as high as kites BangHead BangHead BangHead
when you are there in the A&E with some one who is really sick and some xrick is brought in cos they got xxsed and lay on the road and called an ambulance -
makes you wonder why they dont have cages out the back for these xxking eeejittts
It is an old but good hospital.
Long may it thrive.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:51 am

too true Grammer, my own father and grandfather died there many years ago. I think everyone would agree that the staff are great people and do their best with the limited facilities afforded them. How the nurses and assistants do their job is beyond me, a true vocation.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Sorry lads I have to disagree. My late mother was in there for some months. Her room was not cleaned in days on one occasion. Dirty bandages were left lying around on her window and eating tray. They did not give her food at teatime on several occasions. There was empty bottles left lying on the floor for nearly a week. Her black rubbish bin wa sso overflowing the staff was leaving the rubbish on the floor beside the bin. There were dirty needles left on the window sill. A nurse left her scissors on her window sill for 24 hours. Her ward was filthy (my sister cleaned it herself with Dettol wipes and they were filthy). Her ward was full of dust. The toilet never seemed to have toilet paper. Some staff were lovely but other seem to have a could not care less attitude. They certainly were not impressed when I complained about the bins and they was no apology. They left my mother on a comode on another occasion and it was only when my sister called in to visit her that she found her sitting in a pool of urine in the middle of the ward.

Through my work I had occasion to visit them re. infection control and was told the cleaning staff are in charge of infection control and not the hospital. The manager would not even meet up with me.

I think the place is a disgrace.

NM
Navanman

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE