St. Colmcilles Hospital

The Town and its People past and present...

St. Colmcilles Hospital

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Wheres all the local rent a protest crowd -??????
wheres pretty boy
must be still protesting on the 46A :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
never heard a word about this
did you ????????
=======================
http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=19303
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Re: St. Colmcilles Hospital

Postby Sinead » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Grammer, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
How in the name of God are people from the South to get to St. Vincents? How many will die between St. Colmcille's and St. Vincent's. How stupid are the HSE Planners, for many years St. Colmcille's has been on a Health Board 'HIT LIST' remember when Barry Desmond was Minister for Health - he was going to shut down St. Colmcille's. Will A & E. in St. Vincent's be extended and staff increased to take over from St. Colmcille's.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jordo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Sinead wrote:Grammer, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Will A & E. in St. Vincent's be extended and staff increased to take over from St. Colmcille's.

Slan
Sinead

No Sinéad, the idea is to SAVE money.

As they say "You don't always get what you want but you always get what you vote for"
jordo

Postby Sinead » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Where is rent a mouth RBB? Has he forgotten his constituents.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 pm

:D :D :D
rent a mouth is fighting the 46A annd 46X battle
but lets not get into personalities here -those that fought the good fight and convinced the proles that .............
its a long way for us to Vincents -what about the people who will have to travel from further afield ????????
I hear Vincents A&E is crap -no experience of it myself -TG -but it's according to what I hear -iffy
so where do we go from here -
=========================================
Just as a matter of interest -as a lot of us dont use our real names on the site -so it wont be a giveaway if you dont /did'nt take part -or show your political leanings to all!
not that anyone is really interested anyway :D :D :D :D
If pretty BB was (and IM sure he will try) organise a protest march -how many on the site here would take part-??????

this is just as a matter of conversation -----
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby farmboy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:36 am

If you read the moan of the month topic you,ll see that I had firsthand experience of the A and E in Vincents just a few days ago. My 86 year old mother spent 60 hours on a trolley there from Tuesday morning at 6 AM till 6 PM on Thursday evening. A nurse told us it was the worst she,d ever seen it.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby jordo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:49 am

Here's wishing your mam a speedy recovery Farmboy, I didn't realise she had been admitted.
jordo

Postby Sinead » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:14 pm

If there is a protest over this closure I will be there, any chance you can get the ball rolling Grammer?

Sorry about your Mam Farmboy, NO ONE should have experiences such as this. During the past week I had experience of A & E in St. Michael's and I have to say it was very positive. Arrived there with the patient at about 11.00.a.m., we had a letter from the GP - within 10 minutes he was on a bed and vitals had been taken. Blood was drawn within the first hour, oxygen was administered, hourly the vitals were tested. The duty doctor came to the patient at least 4 times between 11.00. and 4.00.p.m. they had an emergency so things were a bit delayed (according to themselves) by 4.30. the patient had been admitted and I was on my way home. In a very small area in A & E there were 3 beds all occupied, the walking wounded were dealt with in another room, when that was full they used a small table in our room to deal with patients. It was crowded, busy, but in general there was a happy, friendly atmosphere. An experience which belies most of what I have heard over the past few years. In the middle of all this the Clinics were going ahead and there were builders at work. At no stage were patients being held in the corridor.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:20 pm

That's dreadful about your Mother Farmboy. I wish her a speedy recovery.
I have found St Michaels to be very efficient over the years and St Vincents out patients also.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Thomastown » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Came across this photo taken in the 1950s.

Has it changed much since?

TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Thomastown:

This photo is of the old Maternity Hospital in Loughlinstown. I was in it three times
as a result all my children were born in Killiney.

In looks the place hasn't changed, the Maternity Hospital is long gone, I don't know
what services are in this building these days.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm

I,d go as far as to say the hospital front has hardly changer at all Thomastown. I didnt know Loughlinstown hospital was a maternity hospital Sinead. Was it before Holles street and the Coombe became the most common maternity hospitals? I know at one time loughlinstown was a workhouse. One of my earliest recollections is of seeing my grandad through a glass door from his hospital bed there in 1960. I think we were told he had yellow jaundice but if that were the case it seems hard to believe he died from it. Maybe it was more serious, something like liver failure. Probably be impossible to find out at this stage. Having said that, people died then from what we now consider to be rather minor ailments.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:00 pm

farmboy wrote: Probably be impossible to find out at this stage. Having said that, people died then from what we now consider to be rather minor ailments.

Farmboy,

No, it is relatively easy. If you know his death date you can go to the G.R.O which is now in Werberg Street and get a copy of his death cert for €4 and the cause of death is listed.You have to do a little homework before you go by going to the Mormon's site www.familysearch.org...finding the death record and getting two important details...the Volumn number and the page number of the record...this makes getting the cert a sinch.

Because I knew so little about out family when I started doing the family research I got all the death certs and compiled the ailments. It is amazing they were very accurate even in the late 1800's. I now know when the cardiac problems were introduced into the family!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for the info Rocker. 8-)
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm

The hospital has not changed much. Sinead you are a brave girl to have your children there. They used say if you are in an accident tell the ambulance driver to continue on to St. Michaels or Vincents. My mother was in there for a while and I had a real issue with hygiene in her ward and indeed the hospital in general.

NM
Navanman

Postby Harjoe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 pm

The hospital was a T B hospital in the late 1940s into the 50s I was in ther as an 7 year old form 1950 to 1953 along with many people fro Dun laoghaire names I can remeber Ned Mooney from Blackrock, Frank Hammond from Deans Grange , Jim Plunket Timmy Lacey, .
The funny thing was that I was told I had T B in my knee and after getting out in 1953 when my father signed me out because they were sending me to Cappagh( because the hospital was becoming a general hospital) a year later after having a walking caliper removed from my right leg I played football ever since ,so much for T B three years wasted in bed.
One thing that came from my time in Loughlinstown was that I met a man who would have a great influance on my life, Father Frank McCabe who came to the hospital to visit some of his parisheners along with Paddy Connelly the barbour from Glasthule this was long before he founded St Joseph's Boys F C.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Harjo,

Very interesting. I dont suppose you have any pics of Fr McCabe?. I think he was once a President of Cuala before Tom Holden.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 pm

St Coluncilles Maternity Unit closed in mid 80s

They still ocasionally facilitate the birth of 'real' Killiney babes - in the A&E

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 am

Harjoe, great to mention those men. Their faces remain in my mind now as if it were yesterday.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Navanman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 am

Harjoe
I did not know it was a TB Hospital and I definately did not know you could get TB in your knee (pardon my ignorance). Just think how different things might have been if you did go to Cappagh. I don't remember any of the names you mention there.

NM
Navanman

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 am

Ned Mooney was someone I knew...did he work in the Bradmola. The extended Mooney family were the backbone of Blackrock..various members ran the Fife and Drum Band and performed in the park on Sundays in the Summer. A cousin Sean was a wonderful singer and sang during all processions etc...powerful voice. Anything positive that was done in the town a Mooney was behind it ...No they wern't related to me :D but, I just saw the kindness with which they helped everyone.

I'm off topic...Heres a little story and farmboy relating about his grandfather jolted my memory. My Granny lived on the Stradbrook Road and from all reports was a formidable strong woman. One day in 1944 she took the 45 bus to Loughlinstown was admitted and died that night. Whenever I asked my mother what she died of...she just said..I think she was tired. Wasn't it a gas country that poor people didn't query anything....they never asked for an explanation nor a death cert nor an inquest.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Loughlins town had a bad reputation,they use to say," you can go in but you might never come out". We had our first 2 children there and they were delivered by Dr. Bartley Sheehan however, for our third he insisted that HID should go the Holles St.and that was 1972.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Navanman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 pm

My mother used mention Dr. Bartley Sheehan but I know nothing about the man. There was also a Dr. Moloney in Dun Laoghaire. I think he was a nice man but I only vaguely remember him. And a dentist almost facing McDonalds. Cannot remember his name.

NM
Navanman

Postby Snowhite » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Galligan ........
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Navanman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Snowy you would not believe it I was only thinking about you less than 30 secs. ago. Had not heard from you.

Yes Galligan was his name.

NM
Navanman

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE