St. Colmcilles Hospital

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: St. Colmcilles Hospital

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Navanman. that sounds like a horrible experience and so different to how my own late mother was treated in St Michaels earlier this year. My brother spent a full year in St Vincents 5 years ago and during that time was in several different wards. I have to say a couple of them were disgusting and I dont think I would have been able to cope had I been a patient there. Our health system is creaking at the seams financially and sadly we are catching up with the likes of America with their two tier system. The private hospitals are like 4 star hotels and most public ones are dilapadated and under staffed. I know this first hand as I am in them almost every working day. In the Bon Secour in Glasnevin for example, you will see cleaners busily hoovering, polishing floors and general cleaning all day long. The same for all the private hospitals I visit all over the country. Private health insurance costs a fortune now but if you dont have it you,re subject to long delays and mediocre accommodation.

Years ago, I did shift work and occasionally would be asked to do a double shift ie 16 hours. I would be exhausted by the end of this so I can only imagine how tired our junior doctors must be after their horrificly long shifts that the HSE has been expecting them to do for modest pay. If they treat these people who are after all doctors so shoddily, I would doubt if they treat staff with lesser jobs any better. So, it seems it all boils down to money and if they turned Loughlinstown hospital into a private one tomorrow, it would be up there with the Beacon and Mater private and the rest of them in no time.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Sorry you have had such a bad experience with the hospital NM
it really must have driven you up the walls.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 am

I wouldn't single out Loughlinstown but there is a general air of slip shod about the cleaning in all hospitals. They have the facade of caring with the hand sprays etc at the door and the notices about washing your hands but, people working in the hospital drag around in their outdoor shoes and uniforms that are worn in on the bus! The other day i was bringing a friend home from a private hospital and this girl came out of the hospital in the blue scrubs and the clogs which I think they wear in the theatre and she walked down the road to the car park and drove off. If they were serious about infection control all staff should change in the hospital and the uniforms and shoes go to be disinfected.

I was in a private room in another large hospital a few years ago and I had to clean everything myself all surfaces were really suspect. Every day a cleaner came in and gave a "lick" no such thing as intensive cleaning. Remember years ago the nuns in St Michaels would be scrubbing and washing everything with carbolic soap. No one seems to be in charge ..From now on it will be the Winter Bug...and signs about no visitors while crowds of people pile through the doors and again no one in charge to stop them and say "No visitors means No visitors". Sick people with flimsy cloths and open wounds piling around the doors smoking!! again once you go into hospital it should be No smoking full stop!! Rant over!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 am

It's the same up here Rocker ! Hygiene here is when you call out to someone called Jean! BangHead
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:38 am

That's a dreadful experience Navanman and it would seem to me that the hospital is not fit for purpose. I remember when my son broke his arm and a person who worked in a hospital told us to ask the ambulancemen to take him to St. Michael's rather than Loughlinstown.I know if any of my family needed emergency treatment I'd be happy to go the extra distance to St. Vincent's or St. Michael's.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Micheál » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 pm

BREAKING

Loughlinstown A & E Department to close end of Nov 2013
From then on it will operate a "Medical Assessment and local Injury Unit" during daytime hours only.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 am

Good job I did that First Aid course ;)

Lets hope they know what they are doing!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 am

I am always the first to moan about anything but, recently I have been in contact with the cardiac dept at Loughlinstown and have to say I was treated in the most considerate, kind and caring way by the gentle lady making appointments. It really makes such a difference to someone who is ringing a hospital not knowing the ropes or procedures.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Hope all is well with you Rocker

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sinead » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Rocker:

Have to say any dealings I have had with the hospital have been great.
The appointments staff are always in good humour and appear to know
everyone coming into the hospital and keep an eye on the more elderly
ones.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby grammer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 am

Was there a big turnout on Saturday -to protest at the closure of the A&E at the end of the month.I wonder???????
'cos those of us living in the catchment area all got circulars from the HSE (in the post) detailing what the future is for the A&E.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am

I hear there was a very reasonable crowd but...they are xxing against the wind with that one...the authorities have made up their minds and in a few years when they find out St. Vincent's can't cope they will do a U turn but, ...it's only money...live with it...get over it...that is the unwritten answer to the general public..

I'v being going to Loughlinstown for tests and one major thing I'd say the powers that be haven't factored into the equasion is TRAFFIC VOLUME...from Loughlinstown to Merrion....I wouldn't like to be clinging for life in an ambulance tackling that volume from Wicklow......at least for the gang coming from my way to Loughlinstown it is against the main flow of rush hour traffic and really quick.Another thing no one is talking about is crowded ambulances with no where to put patients when they finally get to St Vincents. Anecdotal chat in my local is of ambulance staff having to continue treating the patients in the ambulance while trollies or beds are sourced in the A&E. I think we are going backwards...Lord help us.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:28 am

Rocker wrote:I am always the first to moan about anything but, recently I have been in contact with the cardiac dept at Loughlinstown and have to say I was treated in the most considerate, kind and caring way by the gentle lady making appointments. It really makes such a difference to someone who is ringing a hospital not knowing the ropes or procedures.

Well here I go again singing the praises of the ECG department. Back this week for the usual round of preventive tests and that kind lady makes it all so simple.... a very stress free pleasant experience that in other hospitals is a nightmare. She renews my faith in the health service.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Good for you Rocker.
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Can't find the thread for St Michael's Hospital...but here is one to note. If you need/want to get any scans, x rays done quickly and privately ...give St Michaels a call. I have found them to be so civilised, attentive, quick and cheaper than all the others . I have managed to get scans done within a few days and saved months of needless worry. They also have a great store of files...my x rays from over 40 years ago and this makes charting the progress of bone density loss etc very easy.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Rocker, you are right, St. Michael's is great and have little or no
waiting for a range of things. See, the nuns kept everything hence
the records are fantastic.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Sinead wrote:Rocker, you are right, St. Michael's is great and have little or no
waiting for a range of things. See, the nuns kept everything hence
the records are fantastic.

Sinéad

Hmmm . . . their sisters in the Refuge weren't as meticulous in keeping records.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Michéal, I have no knowledge nor did I have dealings with St. Patrick's, apart
from talking to the women through the railings. I have knowledge of the
Hospital.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Well the place to go for a chat with the real Dunlaoghaireites is the out patients in the hospital. I had the best hour long chat there yesterday. The number of people who happened by! This was only beaten by a visit to Lidl in Pottery Road today where I met an old Blackrock lady. God, if we hadn't the tea to get we would be still there chatting. She reminded me of so many people I had forgotten. Does the heart good.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:20 am

Rocker wrote: if we hadn't the tea to get we would be still there chatting.

Haha love it Rocker. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am

The times they are achanging. There was a time when people went to pubs for a chat now it's a hospital waiting room. dontknow
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 am

You can get the same chat on the bus! Coming from Dublin the other day I
met a very nice woman who chatted with me until we got to Sallynoggin.
The journey just flew in. Ships that pass in the night...

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:The times they are achanging. There was a time when people went to pubs for a chat now it's a hospital waiting room. dontknow

It could be said its an age thing ... but no, its a hospital thing !

Once you attend the Hospital these days, its never just in and out .... you are now in the system and need to see A - B - C etc. The appointments go on and on as the list of your medicines and doctors grow. Welcome to our modern health care system, where you are the perfect patsy .... a one person job creation scheme :roll:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Previous

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE