Bug Rock and the Baths

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Bug Rock and the Baths

Postby grammer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 am

yep Gulliver good find
its been posted on the site here before it was based on a German design.
it must have looked like a space age idea at the time.
the remains of the baths in Merrion, I believe, can still be seen when the tide goes out far enough.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:55 pm

I can't find the photo I had of the new proposal. I was in a development plan for the Carlisle Pier but that may have all been scrapped now.
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:56 pm

"My avatar is nice but will never equal a picture of families on the sand at high tide in Sandycove Harbour."

You sadist, Bugrock...........they're not waving, they're DROWNING!

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby bugrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 am

Skins, that did happen once. One of the boys I went to school with at Eblana lost his inner tube. He did a lot of waving, untill I went out and got him.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby skins » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Fair play to ya, Bugrock.

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Navanman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Yes Bugrock - well done

Some years ago I was in the SHALLOW end of a pool and saw a girl around 25 years of age falling and splashing in the water. Now I could stand up and the water was to less than my waist. It took me a few seconds to realise she was not messing and nobody was taking any notice of her. My small daughter (about 10 years of age) was beside her and she grabbed onto my daughter gasping for air and pulling herself to the surface. She was afraid of the water and had panicked so much she actually thought she was drowning - even though the water was probably 3 ft. deep and if she had of relaxed she could have simply stood up. All happened in less than 30 secs. Quite scary to see how easy it can happen.

Really do take my hat off to you Bugrock.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 am

The episode I mentioned in Sandycove Harbour was exactly the same. I remember it like it was yesterday. My friend, I don't know if he is on this site or even still around,(Hi Scotchy) having splashed about for a while was Saved, I thought, by a girl. She actually swam out to him - and retrieved the inner tube. That's when I stepped in.
bugrock

Postby skins » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm

The discussion about Bugrock brought to mind another rock known as "The Armchair", but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Anyone care to comment?

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Navanman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Don't know about the armchair but all the talk about rocks remind sme of "pet rocks"

They were all the go about 20 - 30 years ago.

You couild buy a rock as your ideal pet

Did not dirty the house
Did not have to come back to feed it if you were out
Did not bark
If you told it to sit somewhere it did not move
You could easily bring it with you on holidays if you wish
Would fit in your pocket or handbag
etc.

There were selling for about £5 but there was no ongoing cost.
Navanman

Postby bugrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:59 pm

The Armchair was a rock standing alone from the big rock(the rocks with the stingo pool) formation next to the steps from the Baths. It was shaped like an armchair. At certain tides it was a thrill to swim around it or get on it. The sandy bottom allowed reasonable footing about half tide. I used to catch plaice from it.
bugrock

Postby Jemser » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 am

Grammer, I agree with you that the "Armchair" rock is up near the top of the stepped climb from the carpark in Killiney Hill up to the Obelisk. You go in off the path through the gorse bushes and it is in there. We used to sit on it as kids, never heard of a rock in Bugrock area referred to as the armchair.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby bugrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 am

Jemser, if you go down the walk from Teddy's to the steps, look down towards Sandycove. It's the rock about 3 feet from the big one with the pool. You may hve to walk on the rock at the steps to see it properly.
bugrock

Postby Sinead » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Bugrock, you are right about the armchair, it was great fun.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby bugrock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 am

Problem today is, no kids being adventurous anymore. Faces in Ipods and buried in hats and hoodies. No wonder all our little memories are fading away. Like Killiney Hill and Bugrock add Armchairs. Glad someone remembers. ;) ;)
bugrock

Postby Sputnik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 am

Jemser wrote:Grammer, I agree with you that the "Armchair" rock is up near the top of the stepped climb from the carpark in Killiney Hill up to the Obelisk. You go in off the path through the gorse bushes and it is in there. We used to sit on it as kids, never heard of a rock in Bugrock area referred to as the armchair.

Jemser, I think you are describing the Druids Chair on Killiney Hill.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 am

more stuff from ask about Ireland on the Baths..I love the photos...don't get hooked on this site..it takes days to look at everything!!

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning- ... /index.xml
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Great site Rocker. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:32 am

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, applied on or about 9th October to the Minister of the Environment, Community and Local Government for consent under the Foreshore Act, 1933, to undertake refurbishment of Dún Laoghaire Baths and associated works.
A copy of the application, and the relevant maps, plans and drawings, are available for inspection, free of charge, at Dún Laoghaire Garda Station, 34/35 Corrig Avenue, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin.
The documentation is available on the Department’s website
http://www.environ.ie/en/Foreshore/Appl ... minations/
Any person who wishes to make an objection to, or a representation in respect of the grant of the licence sought should do so in writing, giving reasons, within 21 working days of publication of this Notice (quoting ref: FS005832), to the Foreshore Unit, Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, Co Wexford or foreshore@environ.ie. The closing date for submissions is close of business on 7th November 2013.
All objections and representations received will be forwarded to the applicant for comment prior to any decision being made in the matter. Material upon which the Minister shall determine this application may be published on the Department’s website.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jwdalk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:37 pm

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 pm

The thing that strikes me about all of that, is the total lack of respect. The the vandalism and graffiti are the obvious candidates, enacted by valueless youths who are happy to highlight their ignorance on the walls. However that is an easy blame in this case, what about the decision makers who allowed this to happen .... their actions show a lack of respect to what was a great facility / building and to the public that used it, a fact made clear by the lack of security (thus accommodating the vadnalism and graffiti).

Finally, as we have local elections coming up ... lets not ignore the fact we the people are the ones who ultimately are responsible :oops: your vote will decide if we are having more of the same or if we are serious about change.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 am

I'm serious about change...but, honestly don't see anyone on the horizon who is going to change anything for the best. I've just had to turn off the telly because i couldn't take any more of Alan Shatter. Yesterday they were all voting themselves a big holiday at our expense for St patrick's Day and my friend is still Penniless with all allowances cut by social welfare because he is either ill or disabled...they can't make up their mind ...they might when they find the correspondence which they have lost more than once. The place is in a state of chassers.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 pm

jwdalk wrote:This makes for sad viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gP8bOZS ... e=youtu.be

Many a good day I spent down there. It was a great place to learn to swim.You had the small pool where you could learn safely and the large one when you had learned. The Baths were a focus for summer entertainment but like a lot of Municipally run amenities they were neglected and allowed to run down. Blackrock Baths suffered the same fate.The area from the Baths to the East Pier has been also criminally neglected over the years as we all know. BangHead
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Mixer2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Love the shot of the waves
Mixer2

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:47 am

Rocker wrote:Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, applied on or about 9th October to the Minister of the Environment, Community and Local Government for consent under the Foreshore Act, 1933, to undertake refurbishment of Dún Laoghaire Baths and associated works.
A copy of the application, and the relevant maps, plans and drawings, are available for inspection, free of charge, at Dún Laoghaire Garda Station, 34/35 Corrig Avenue, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin.
The documentation is available on the Department’s website
http://www.environ.ie/en/Foreshore/Appl ... minations/
Any person who wishes to make an objection to, or a representation in respect of the grant of the licence sought should do so in writing, giving reasons, within 21 working days of publication of this Notice (quoting ref: FS005832), to the Foreshore Unit, Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, Co Wexford or foreshore@environ.ie. The closing date for submissions is close of business on 7th November 2013.
All objections and representations received will be forwarded to the applicant for comment prior to any decision being made in the matter. Material upon which the Minister shall determine this application may be published on the Department’s website.

Just read in the Dún Laoghaire Gazette that the Baths revamp has got the go ahead. I think above is the last plans submitted.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:49 am

dun-laoghaire-baths-advertisement.jpg
dun-laoghaire-baths-advertisement.jpg (86.03 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

I love this old ad found on the ask about Ireland site.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE