Bug Rock and the Baths

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Bug Rock and the Baths

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am

Who thinks about cholesterol at that time of night. Sure isn't that when we have had the best batter burgers and battered sausages. Time was I knew every take away between Dublin and the Rock , even got off the DART at Sandymount cause there was a place there that did battered sausages and a joint opposite the American Embassy!! and my doctor calmly asks me how come I have the body of a 90 year old! Now to get back on topic must go for a walk near the Bug Rock and the Baths to turn back the years!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Harjoe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Those photos of the baths bring back so many memories ,I used to go every day and those baths were so popular with visitors I would put my cloths beside English people and begin conversations with them about football and find out about their favorite teams and ask them to send programme to me ( some neck) ,I can remember one couple from Wolverhampton who broght me to the horse show in the R D S the following day I was only ten or eleven (Imagine that happening today) the couple used to stay in a guest house on Mellifont Avenue and visited every year but they brought me to the R D S and back and we kept in touch for many years .
Another group of people were from Cardiff and again we became friends for a long time in fact I still have some of the programmes they sent me another guy from Manchester sent me programmes for many many years he lived around the corner from Eddie Colman in Salford one of the players who died in the Munich Air Crash and he would tell me all about the Irish guy who was playing for United Liam Whelan who also died in the same crash.
The baths hold so many memories once when I worked on Albert road in Denhu Ltd when we worked overtime until about eight in the summertime a gang of us would go down to Bug Rock and if the tide was out you could walk across on the rocks to the baths which closed at seven o clock one day the tide was not fully out so we decieded to swim across half way I got tired and tried to stand up but went under one of the guys who was smaller than me came over and lifted me up I was down a hole in the rocks thinking I was drowning they never let me forget it oh how I hate the baths :D :D :D :D :D
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
good one Harjoe. :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah good one Harjoe,we all have great memories of the baths. I can remember a woman giving me some biscuits, she told me to eat them up so that they'll put some meat on me bones. Charles Atlas I was not. :!:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Holla » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 am

Wish I had a camera with me today down around Bug rock the waves were magic splashing up over the promenade its a long time since I saw them so high every second car seemed to stop for the people to have look or to take a photo
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 pm

We may have passed each other Holla. I was down the pier, then over to Scotsmans bay/bugrock etc. Amazing!
Photos to follow when I get time. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Strum wrote:We may have passed each other Holla. I was down the pier, then over to Scotsmans bay/bugrock etc. Amazing!
Photos to follow when I get time. :D

Looking forward to that :)
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Yeah good one Harjoe,we all have great memories of the baths. I can remember a woman giving me some biscuits, she told me to eat them up so that they'll put some meat on me bones. Charles Atlas I was not. :!:

Was this the woman you later married, Denis? You always were a cheap little slut!

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby skins » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I've still to come across anyone who remembers the old man who used to fashion heads of well-known people, such as De Valera, Collins, etc., from turnips or swedes, and display them on the wall running from the front entrance of the Baths down to Bug Rock. He had a very long beard and was dressed like a tramp. He wasn't from the town.....I believe he used to travel out from the City on the tram/bus. He used to stand directly across the road from Teddy's. Ring any bells with anyone?

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am

skins wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote:Yeah good one Harjoe,we all have great memories of the baths. I can remember a woman giving me some biscuits, she told me to eat them up so that they'll put some meat on me bones. Charles Atlas I was not. :!:

Was this the woman you later married, Denis? You always were a cheap little slut!

Skins

I represent that remark Skins.(at least they weren't Marietta,they were Custard Creams) and the girl that I married is still Crackers about me. :lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby Strum » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 pm

This is a lovely piece of Marble still at the entrance to the Baths. Hope it will be preserved. :D

Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Looks really good Strum,hope it is preserved.The photo on the front page is terrific,reminds me of the many times,as a kid,I tried to run between the waves, at that very spot, without getting wet. I generally never succeeded, but when I think of it, I was lucky not to have been washed in.Happy Days :D
Denis Cromie

Postby Strum » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 pm

I nearly swallowed my tongue and choked when I was in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co site a few minutes ago. In the news for 30 August they have a report on the bad condition of Blackrock Baths. It has come as a shock to the Council! but for the last twenty years I have watched the Baths falling apart. Whenever I made inquiries I was told the area had been leased to Treasury Holdings.I always understood that the Council had the responsibility to upkeep the area, but now reading the Council site it looks like they are going to take down the structure.
Here is a little history of the Baths. Abandoned
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby bugrock » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:47 pm

As you all see, my avatar is Bugrock. It was an ordinary very special place in my youth. I probably swam there with some of you on this site, but my biggest memory is seeing me Ma in a bathing suit at the big rock we called the whale.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Hate to disagree with you Bugrock,but that Avatar is not Bug Rock in Dun Laoghaire as I know it. :) Where did all that blue sea and golden sand come from :?: Not to mention the greenery in the background, I think this must be the Aussie version of Bug Rock, with a bit of artistic licence. :D :mrgreen:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 pm

That was a pic you sent me from your place to make an Avatar from Bugrock. If you would like a real one of Bugrock, I'll photo the place and then make a new Avatar?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh Bugrock

Now you are painting pictures. My mother in a bathing suit!!She was a great swimmer but. togs must have been expensive so she knit herself a togs!! and every evening she took us to Blackrock or Seapoint for a swim. She took off in that extroardinary suit like a mermaid and we were so embarassed as it sort of stretche d when it was wet. She was a skinny beanpole, but, stretched knitted togs do nothing for anyone particularily when they were on your eccentric mother and your friends were standing open mouthed. ?They got used to it cause we went every day and every night to the sea (no telly you see). I'd forgotten that picture till you mentioned your mother !!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Jemser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks Strum that explains the colourful Avatar of Bugrock, I knew there was artistic licence involved somewhere. :D
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:11 am

Jemser wrote:Thanks Strum that explains the colourful Avatar of Bugrock, I knew there was artistic licence involved somewhere. :D

I wish that had been the Bugrock I played at growing up. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:24 am

Sorry folks and thanks Strum for the offer of a new avatar, but I should have said Bugrock was my profile name. My avatar is nice but will never equal a picture of families on the sand at high tide in Sandycove Harbour.
Please feel free to change my avatar for the one you suggested.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Gulliver » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's a design for a swimming baths in Dun Laoghaire

It's an old design

Really old

Dates from 1888

It was done by the son of the owner of the Salthill hotel

More about it here

http://archiseek.com/2009/1888-floating-swimming-baths-kingstown-dublin/#.UHxigsXA-rZ
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

What if it Sank? :lol:

This is in the Harbour Topic from before. No worries though, good to bring it up because I've seen plans for a new one in the same place.
I think I have a screenshot...um hum hum...
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Strum wrote:I've seen plans for a new one in the same place.

God forbid they'll try this again. I think its ridiculous to invest in swimming facilities in a location where those facilities are already there. (Shades of cycling on the Metals here) and which, like the railway, has only half a hinterland.

Long ago, In another life, I had a minor involvement in a campaign to prevent the Corpo from building a pool for its citizens - guess where? right on the border with Dublin County & right by the sea at Booterstown (on that site opposite the Hotel). As if there wasn't enough swimming opportunities (for Dubliners) there already. We argued that it should be placed on an inland site that had a full hinterland that contained Dun Laoghaire people. To be fair to the Corpo of the day, they accepted our point and so was born the BluePool in Dunedin.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE