Sleights Bike Shop

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Sleights Bike Shop

Postby spudseamus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 am

what was the name of the bike shop down in Blackrock just a little ways up Temple Hill ?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby joey dunlop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi bilcar
I worked in sleights bike shop.As far i can remember he was in the dunlaoghaire cycle club.
I worked on the motorcycles mostly honda 50,s and mopeds and van deliverys.
Dunlaoghaire Cycle Club held a cycle race in stepaside and bill was involved in the running
of the event.I had norton 650 cc motorcycle then when i worked for him .
cheers joey dunlop.
joey dunlop

Postby joey dunlop » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 pm

johndle wrote:Did Sleights sell Motorbikes ?
I think the Bro got his Honda 50 there
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Yes they sold hondas and mopeds,also bianchi 125cc motorcycles ,I bought my first motorcycle from him a bianchi 125cc,
Raleigh imported them from italy.I worked for bill repairing motorcycles and driving his morris 1000 van.Dick philips and johnny McMullin bought bianchi,s as well,All three of us went around together including Noel Whitney who had a 350 norton twin ,sadly Noel was killed in a private plane crash last year in powerscourt.I had several motorcycles after the bianchi,
Matchless 350,500 Triumph TT100,Norton ss 650cc which i later converted for roadracing.
Noel Whitney got me into roadracing, He raced a Triton 500cc for about a year,I stayed at roadracing for nine years.
Bikes i raced were a Seeley Norton 650cc,Seeley Weslake 750cc and a 250 TZ Yamaha.
i entered for the 1977 ulster grand prix on a 250 Yamaha loaned to me by Eamon McHenry my own 250 having packed up,
It was not as fast as my own bike and the chain snapped at over 100mph which hit me in the ass i thought i had been shot by some one which would have been possible in those days.
cheers JOEY DUNLOP
joey dunlop

Postby johndle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

You still Biking Joe ? My first Job was delivering Telegrams on
a Bultaco 150 2 stoke We had to do the mix ourselves and soon
found out less oil in the mix the faster they went :) there was a few
sieze ups but just let them cool down and off they went again . The
brother Alfie got his Honda 50 off Bill and the other brother Joe had
BSA Bamtan 175 which I use to sneak out on around the Noggin while
He went off courting . Oh to have them days back ;) ;) ;)
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 pm

johndle wrote:BSA Bamtan 175

There wern't many of them around was there? I wonder, small world and all that if you could have been a previous owner of mine?
Beautiful Red Tank and a Cream Paintjob all over, front Mudguard with the then, illegal Reg Plate sticking up vertically, lovely Air Filter exposed...
...loved that Bike.
Bought it for 200 quid in 1982 of a bunch of shyster Bikers in Mount Merrion. I think one of them was called Joey haha.
I remember thay were sniggering at me when I took it for a spin, obvious it had a few "problems", but little did they know that Dan Diamond
had a workshop just around the corner from me and he loved the bike, and made it drive like a Dream. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 am

ahh joey what names there !! man o man! memories!! did a bit of the oval rasin meself lol! ahh not for long though -- my first was a Yam 90 quickly followed by a 3ta ex Garda bike ,loved that one , and then a yds5e which i used to race a bit and the one i never had but wanted was a 500 speed twin!! ahhh for god's sake where has the years gone . :)
spudseamus

Postby johndle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 am

Nah Strum My brother bought his new He then got wise to
my sneaking out on it and would never leave much petrol
in it at the Weekends :( :( :(
johndle

Postby joey dunlop » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:11 pm

spudseamus wrote:ahh joey what names there !! man o man! memories!! did a bit of the oval rasin meself lol! ahh not for long though -- my first was a Yam 90 quickly followed by a 3ta ex Garda bike ,loved that one , and then a yds5e which i used to race a bit and the one i never had but wanted was a 500 speed twin!! ahhh for god's sake where has the years gone . :)

Hi spudseamus
I was riding my 500 Triumph TT100 down sallynoggin rd when it tru a conrod out of the crankcase so i sold it to Noel Whitney .he rebuilt the engine and put in a Norton frame .
I bought a Norton 650ss which had chrome tank ,mudguareds and clip on handlebars i clocked 118 mph on the kilmacanogue
road .
Those were the days.
One night i was on the back of Noel whitney,s 350 norton going from glasthule to northtumbler ave where he had a workshop. with johnny McMullin on a moped so i grabbed a hold of johnnys shoulder and pulled him along ,we were flying along dun laoghaire when a cop jumped out ,I let go of johnny and he lost his balance and knocked the cop over we cleared off.
To which johnny said to the cop,Did you see that guard they knocked me off my bike,
I still burst out laughing every time i think of it ha ha ha ha ha .
cheers JOEY DUNLOP
joey dunlop

Postby joey dunlop » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:28 pm

johndle wrote:You still Biking Joe ? My first Job was delivering Telegrams on
a Bultaco 150 2 stoke We had to do the mix ourselves and soon
found out less oil in the mix the faster they went :) there was a few
sieze ups but just let them cool down and off they went again . The
brother Alfie got his Honda 50 off Bill and the other brother Joe had
BSA Bamtan 175 which I use to sneak out on around the Noggin while
He went off courting . Oh to have them days back ;) ;) ;)

hI JOHNDLE
My biking days are over but i am a mcui steward working on the grid of most roadraces in the south of ireland,
im on the committe of kells roadracing club,
cheers joey
joey dunlop

Postby spudseamus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:57 am

Did you see that guard they knocked me off my bike,
I still burst out laughing every time i think of it ha ha ha ha ha . :D :D :D :o :o :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D

oooooooooofffffuuuuuuuHA! HA! ohhhh stop me side hurts!!!!
spudseamus

Postby *stargazer* » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 pm

My youngest bro bought a bike there for a few bob a week...three weeks later, it was stolen and he never saw it again...the poor kid had to go down every Saturday to pay the money for months, with nothing to show for it....I remember I cried for him, he was broken hearted.
*stargazer*

Postby joey dunlop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Strum wrote:
johndle wrote:BSA Bamtan 175

There wern't many of them around was there? I wonder, small world and all that if you could have been a previous owner of mine?
Beautiful Red Tank and a Cream Paintjob all over, front Mudguard with the then, illegal Reg Plate sticking up vertically, lovely Air Filter exposed...
...loved that Bike.
Bought it for 200 quid in 1982 of a bunch of shyster Bikers in Mount Merrion. I think one of them was called Joey haha.
I remember thay were sniggering at me when I took it for a spin, obvious it had a few "problems", but little did they know that Dan Diamond
had a workshop just around the corner from me and he loved the bike, and made it drive like a Dream. :D

wELL JOHNDLE
I never sold bikes in mount merrion but i did have a motorcycle shop in dalkey .
we sold hondas,jawa cz and yamahas but there was not much money around those days so i took up a job as sales rep for
Harry Lindsay in ship street dublin he was the importer for bultaco motorcycles and parts for honda and yamaha motorcycles,also NGK spark plugs from japan.
I covered the east coast from dublin to dungarvan and naas to limerick.
Harry Lindsay also imported superser heaters and cookers from spain.
Harry also sold spanish motorcycles to the irish army,a 500cc single cyl four stroke,
CHEERS JOEY DUNLOP
joey dunlop

Postby johndle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Joey I think you misread that Post
Its Strum You should be talking to
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
PS Was often up with Harry Lindsay
But never got to ride one of them Super Sers
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johndle

Postby joey dunlop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Misti wrote:Hi Joey!

All these posts have brought back special memories to me.

In the 80's I shared a house with racing bikers.Some of them road racers but spent most of my time down in Mondello. Used to arrive home to find bits off bikes all over the kitchen. And would cook din dins for all in the middle of the workshop. There was a perfectly good garage but of course the kitchen table was much better!

Do any off these names mean anything to you? Ron Sherry, Tim O'Kennedy (fearless) and Bart... his real name was John but cant for the life of me remember his surname.
Came across this web site today...Her pics are really good.http://www.fionasroadracing.com/
Have a look.

Hi Misty
I remember Ron Sherry and John [bart] Byrne who was sponsered by my friend Eamon Mchenry on a 250 yamaha yes i know
fiona she goes to all the roadraces taking photos.
Look up ARMSTRONG PHOTOS .COM
You will get all the news about irish roadracing.
Also Kells roadracing on UTUBE
cheers joey dunlop
joey dunlop

Postby joey dunlop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm

johndle wrote:Joey I think you misread that Post
Its Strum You should be talking to
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
PS Was often up with Harry Lindsay
But never got to ride one of them Super Sers
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Id say they were to hot to handle he, he.
joey dunlop

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 pm

joey dunlop wrote:Id say they were to hot to handle he, he.

Haha that's Gas! :roll: :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 am

Gas men de lot of ye!!! :D
spudseamus

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
I think I got my first bike from Sleights too
it was a three wheeler and I was about 3/4 at the time
actually that was my first and last bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi Joey
Your mention of Harry Lindsay brought back many memories to me as I bought my first scooter from him my brother in law worked as a machanic for him and he also worked in Mount Merrion Motors he got the scooter for me a Heinkel Tourist blue & cream.
My mate Mick Maguire from Eden Villas had a B S A 250 and we used to drive to Wicklow and surrounding areas on Sundays that Heinkel was used to go to dances all over the place and many stories of the Arcadia and Bar B in Bray, Enniskerry Ballroom Palm Beach, etc etc.
The scooter had no windscreen and I never wore a helmet ( Fool) but I often would cry with the cold of my hands after been out on it even though I had big leather gloves.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby joey dunlop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Harjoe wrote:Hi Joey
Your mention of Harry Lindsay brought back many memories to me as I bought my first scooter from him my brother in law worked as a machanic for him and he also worked in Mount Merrion Motors he got the scooter for me a Heinkel Tourist blue & cream.
My mate Mick Maguire from Eden Villas had a B S A 250 and we used to drive to Wicklow and surrounding areas on Sundays that Heinkel was used to go to dances all over the place and many stories of the Arcadia and Bar B in Bray, Enniskerry Ballroom Palm Beach, etc etc.
The scooter had no windscreen and I never wore a helmet ( Fool) but I often would cry with the cold of my hands after been out on it even though I had big leather gloves.

Hi HARJOE
We did the same we would all meet up and head off down to roundwood .
Some of the guys that come to mind were Noel Whitney 500 triton,Ivor Kershaw 500 Norton of ballybrack dry cleaners
Derek Mcguire 500 Norton of D.M.G MOTORCYCLES Nth Strand, Tommy Vella 650 BSA [guitar player]Dun Laoghaire,Johnny Mcmullins
235cc Moto Guzzi of Glasthule there was a Dennis Bruan from ringsend on a 650 BSA and a guy from sandymount called
Fred on a Norton 600cc i cant remember his surname we did not care about speed limits in those days every car driver
got out of our way when they saw us,I used to love those outings pity we cant turn t
he clock back.Where have the years gone.
CHEERS JOEY
joey dunlop

Postby Harjoe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Joey
The memories that scooter brings back are so great like myself and Brendan Bell from Glasthule going to Dalymount Park when Bohemians turned on their floodlights in 1962 and they were playing Arsenal and a Dun Loaghaire man Tommy Kinsella R I P made his debut for Arsenal he had worked with us in Albert Road before signing for the gunners he was an ex St Joseph's Boys who moved to Druncondra and then to Arsenal come back to play in Northern Ireland with Colraine and then Shamrock Rovers one of the best players to come from the area.
The other one that sticks in my mind was at a dance in Laurel Park in Bray when another mate Matt Kavanagh from Eden Villas asked for a lift home he had only a suit on him and half way home the heavens opened so I slowed down in the rain trying to shelter as much as we could but coming to where the Graduate pub is now Matt said watch out for the COW and sure enough there was a cow walking along the road which I did not see Matt never got on my scooter again but when we reached Eden Villas and we got off it was like we had taken a shower and held all the water in our laps no wonder I bought a car.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Great stories Harjoe. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Great stories Harjoe. :D

I concur. :D
Strum