Meet Ye At the Pav.

The Town and its People past and present...

Meet Ye At the Pav.

Postby jordo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 pm

I came across this photo taken prior to the erection of the first of the buildings to occupy the site at the junction of the Royal Marine Road and the Queen’s Road which we all affectionately came to know as the ‘Pav’

The first of the structures, and the most impressive was built in 1903 but the ideas of such an entertainment venue were laid down some 30 years previously in 1870. Then like today ideas were shelved and it wasn’t until December 1902 that the committee of the newly formed Pavilion Gardens Company met in the Royal Marine Hotel and decided to resurrect the venture. By February of 1903 plans were laid before Kingstown Urban District Council, passed and work began immediately on the structure.
The most amazing thing about the structure for me anyway, even though I knew it was made of timber, steel and glass, was that it opened its doors to the paying public in June of that same year and what an impressive building it proved to be.

The building had a roof top garden. At each of the four main corners were ‘belvederes’ a castle type structure offering uninterrupted views from the mountains to the sea. The main building consisted of a concert room, smoking rooms and reading rooms. Outside the gardens consisted of flower beds, waterfall, shaded spaces for deck chairs and a band stand. A large lawned area was also a feature and was to serve as a bowling green and for lawn tennis and badminton.

Nothing has changed much in nearly 100 years because the very next day, less than 24hours after opening a letter to the Times no less complained about subscribers having to pay to gain access to some of the advertised performances and by the 30th of June the good aul Corpo stuck their little knife in as well because they objected to the gates and they had to be repositioned. One year after the opening a crowd of 4000 people attended a Viennese evening which was followed by a fire works display.

The next biggy was a visit by the Atlantic Fleet to Kingstown and that was in 1906. The Pav, or to give it its full title ‘the Pavilion and Winter Gardens was to host a Ball to honour the officers of the Fleet. The Town Hall was also to play a part in the celebrations and for ease of passage between the two venues a covered in footbridge was erected across the Marine Road

John McCormack sang there in 1908 and by 1911 the subscribers had resolved their differences with management as it was now very fashionable to be mentioned in the newspapers as having attended a function there.

Gawd, there was some effort in laying out the seats for the concerts and taking them in for the dances.

Disaster struck on the 15th November 1915 when in the space of 4 hours the building was razed to the ground. When the fire was first noticed by a Mrs Page of Corrig Avenue at 1 PM a large crowd began to gather and a company of the Royal Irish Rifles were brought in to keep order. The new building lacked many of the original features, gone was the roof top garden and what I see as a three story building was reduced to two. When the work was completed I cannot find out but the next bit of information I did find concerns permission being granted to allow the Pavilion to give cinema performances in 1920 so the hayday at that stage had long passed The cinema could hold 850 people and the house was full for the first showing of a talkie in 1929.

INTERVAL (to be continued)
jordo

Re: Meet Ye At the Pav.

Postby Snowhite » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 am

Fantastic Jordo, dont think I've ever seen the first photo before,or the one of the bridge but I knew the bridge had been built ....funny that they built a bridge for "ease of passage" feck sake :roll: they only had to cross the bloomin road :) :D

Looking forward to the next installment, I'm off to get me icepop & popcorn ;) Brilliant work Jordo.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Excellent piece, very informative and great photos. Nice one Jordo. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Great work Jordo some of my best memories were from the Pav from playing cowboys in the bushes to the putting green at the side to the back seats of the cinama,I remember going straight from school to see a flim and I watched it three times before Sam put me out at 9 oclock Scoop Johnston came in at 6 30 and I still sat there watching the gangster film can't remember the name but Humphery Bogart was in it I can still see in my mind parts of the film and when an old Bogart one come on the telly I keep alook out for that one but have'nt found it yet .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Brilliant as always Jordo, to have ice cream in the Pav when I was small was a great treat. What a pity we ever lost such an exciting venue.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Star » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Brings back old memories when we went to the 4pennies from school.. we were lucky to have the fourpence so no ice cream :(
Star

Postby farmboy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Great information and pics, you keep coming up with the goods or even goodies! 8-)
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Star wrote:...we were lucky to have the fourpence so no ice cream :(

Aww not even an Orange Ice Pop? They were my favourite. :D

Welcome to the Site Star. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi Snowy, I hope you are back in your seat. It was you who I first heard mention the bridge across the Marine Road and I was delighted to find the photo.

Two more photos taken from the top of the building, the first looking back towards St Michaels

This one gives an idea of the very spacious veranda on the first floor.

I suppose it is easy to understand why things went quite for the Pav, at the time of the fire the Great War was entering its second year, we had the 1916 Rebellion followed closely by the War of independence and then the Civil War so entertainment I would imagine was the last thing on peoples minds during those troubled times.

The greatest war film ever made was the claim made for the showing of The Big Parade starring John Gilbert and Renee Adoree in May 1927. Such was the interest in this movie patrons were reminded that the free list would be suspended at 4:30 each day so they (the subscribers) must have won their battle back in ‘03

The first talkie to be screened was The Desert Song in 1929.
Cinema killed the live shows as it became more and more popular and in 1935 it was announced that a new cinema was to be erected on the Site. In 1939 the building was completely renovated with concrete replacing most of the timber structure.
In 1940 on the 10th November guess what happened? the new building was destroyed by fire.
The film that was showing that night was David Copperfield.

Of all the films that I went to see there the only one that I can remember was Darby O’Gill and the Little People. I always went to the pictures with an older brother who would pay in but when my time came for going on my own the cheapest I can remember is 8d. The ‘Delphi was 9d and the Astoria was the only one I can remember being 4d and there you got what you paid for.

Does anyone remember the ‘live’ shows that used to be held in the Pav just before the main feature??? I can remember Billy Panama being there and that would have been in the early to mid 50’s. Well there was a reason for that, our Government introduced an entertainment tax on all cinemas. The Pav avoided paying this tax by continuing to provide live entertainment. Another piece of legislation brought in by the Eye Strain Committee the cinema had to comply with was not allowing under 14’s to sit in the first three rows. Maybe that was why the back rows were such an attraction for Harjoe.
The last film to be shown was No Sex Please we’re British on the night of 29th June 1974. The newspaper ad that night read “Patrons please note that this cinema will remain closed as and from the end of tonight’s performance”

After serving the population of the town and further afield for 71 years the end of an era was announced in an insignificant little ad, I wonder how many noticed it or kept it as a souvenir.

Dun Laoghaire Corpo then took an interest in the building by becoming sole owners and different performances were held by the Dubliners and DeDanann to name two until ironically the venue was closed down permanently in 1984 under the Fire Act of 1981.

I am sure Strum posted a photo of the Pav as most of us would remember it but I can’t find it at the moment.

Welcome to the Site Star, hope you find the time to join in.
jordo

Postby Sputnik » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:47 am

Going off slightly on a tangent here.
Jordo, your second photo shows a dredger in the middle of the harbour. I'm wondering if it is the Sisyphus. This dredger was built in 1908 and worked continually up to mid-1970's. Amazingly, questions were asked in the Dail in 1937 about replacing it.
I remember this dredger, and the Saxifrage and the Fag an Bealach (known to us kids as the F***ing B*ll*cks) being moored at the Old Coal Harbour and I think Johnny Shortall was the watchman on them for years. The triple expansion steam engine from the Sisyphus is now housed in the National Maritime Museum in the Mariners.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Photo courtesy of Waterford County Museum.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Great stuff Jordo and Sputnuk. The first movie I sav in the Pav was The Longest Day. My Dad brought me in the mid 60's so I was still quite young.
What an epic movie that was for a young fella. :D
And yep the best was playing out the movies afterwards on the grounds of the Pav. Great fun! :D

That photo is in the old D/l/Kingstown photos somewhere Jordo. It's the only one I've ever seen when it was the concrete building.

Sputnik, "Fag an Bealach (known to us kids as the F***ing B*ll*cks)" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jordo, "the Eye Strain Committee" Is that for real? :lol: :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:00 pm

great photos jordo -
the one of the bridge of ease across from "the Pav" is a great find -
well done pal
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Jordo It ake exception to that remark about the back seats :D :D :D :D :D it was a bit older a than 14 year old I would try the back seats .
I can recall a couson of mine who was a couple of years older than me used to get me to queue up on Sunday afternoon for tickets for the Sunday night film for her and her friend and bought me a tickets also because the only way to get in on Sunday nights was to have bought a ticket earlier there was even a black market in cinama tickets for Sunday nights both in Dun Laoghaire and in Dublin, of cource that was before I discovered girls and the Parocial Hall,Top Hat, Orchrid Rooms , hop in the Noggin, Workmans Club etc,etc
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Another thing has just come to me about the Pavilion,the putting green where they had competitions on Sunday Mornings for money ,unofficial of course and the Pitch & Toss and card schools in the bushes afterwards up towards the petrol station just behind the wall that ran up Marine Road so no one could see over the wall, of course that was early in the morning because everyone had to go the 11 30 Mass across the road and then down the Gut for a game of football.
Later on as we got older hanging around the putting green on Sunday afternoons with the gang listening to Buddy Holly on the transister radio and hopeing to meet a girl who would walk down the pier with you and then maybe dance with her in the Parocial Hall that night and maybe just maybe walk her home to Sallynoggin or the Farm and you might get a kiss for your trouble but you always remembered to bring your bicycle for a quick getaway in case her brothers or father were around
Last edited by Harjoe on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey Guys and Girls,

Is old Pa Fleming chief Usher there and the Bailey sisters inside operating...Well I remember them...They were all there years
Sputik great to see Sisyphus again aftet all those years, I took a picture of a CIE Leyland on the Kiiliney in 1964 and the dredger is behind, sadly I never ton a picture proper, as my only interest was the buses...Great job.
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Jacqui » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 am

Brilliant photos and information there Jordo...nice one :) :) :)
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:48 pm

I found some good ones of the Concrete Structure Jordo but I'm waiting for permission to use them.
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Post away Strum, you don't need to ask my permission :)

(Love your sig :D)
jordo

Postby Strum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:50 pm

jordo wrote:Post away Strum, you don't need to ask my permission :)

(Love your sig :D)

:lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby brandy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Enviro500 wrote:Hey Guys and Girls,

Is old Pa Fleming chief Usher there and the Bailey sisters inside operating...Well I remember them...They were all there years
Sputik great to see Sisyphus again aftet all those years, I took a picture of a CIE Leyland on the Kiiliney in 1964 and the dredger is behind, sadly I never ton a picture proper, as my only interest was the buses...Great job.
Enviro500

A couple of names there from the past Enviro, Pat Fleming, and Sadie Bailey, my sister Joan worked with them for years in the Pav.
brandy

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:32 pm

BRANDY,

That was not by any chance Joan Dowdall from Monkstown Farm.. I think Adolf Fleming was from the Noggin and a big brat. Mr Hearn up at ."The Delphia" was much nicer....and a "nicer brat"...

I spent a fortune at the Pav..and NEVER 'Bunked' in once

Envieo500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby brandy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 am

Hi Enviro, no sorry it was not Joan Dowdall, and i agree old Fleming was a bit of a tirant,dont think he liked kids much :twisted:
brandy

Postby Strum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Coutesy of Majorgalloway on Flykr. (c)
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Any luck with the photos yet Strum or what's the story?
jordo

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE