Dun Laoghaire/ Kingstown Photo's

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Dun Laoghaire/ Kingstown Photo's

Postby dingbat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Zirco wrote:
Toss wrote:
if you could change one thing in Dun Laoghaire, what would it be ?
This question applies to all ....

As well as no parking fees.....
How about........
More pedestrianisation.....and.....
McDonald's Ice Cream Parlour magically re-appears on Patrick Street where it once was, enticing young and old in to taste it's delightful products. (With apologies to the current owners of its successor).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Remove that weird block that sits between the cinema, Argos, Broomfields and Dunphy's.

Get rid of the old shopping centre.

Hang flower baskets the entire length of Georges Street.
dingbat
Stellar Member

Postby jabra » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes I agree get rid of Dunlaoghaire shopping centre never anyone in it anyway
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Hey Dingbat, I like the way you are thinking. Some good suggestions there. That Bloomfields development was place behind those shops that were there already and now they look like the sore thumb. My lovely old Dominican Convent was there.
Get rid of the shopping centre goes without saying. I don't know anyone who likes it let alone uses it. It is spooky now with so few shops open.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am

grammer wrote:An update on some old photos
I'm sure most of them are already posted :lol: but

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Grammer

by any chance would you have these photos still and could you put up again???tall order.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rocker I did save a load of old photos when they were posted first-Just finding them is the problem :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will search for them tonight.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Don't go to too much trouble grammer. It was just when I googled Little Egypt it brought me to dunlaoghaire county and where you posted those photos, so I though you might have a nice photo of it.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby MickR » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 pm

Dun Laoghaire? How did such a great town end up so depressing. The town is full of vacant shops and premises, the shopping centre is dead on its feet now for many years. The ferry is gone for good, and little on no buzz in any of the pubs. There is a real need for a collective website detailing events by the day to get something moving. I went to a great gig in the Eagle House last night 9.30 to 11.30. It was not advertised anywhere including their own facebook and website, Same with the Noliefest last week in the Noggin Inn great gig very little advertising unless your connected or in the know.I have searched the web for some sort of guide detailing things to do in Dun Laoghaire and find its seriously lacking in detail and variety. Seems a shame we cant make more of the good things that are happening and let people know so peoples efforts get better support.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Rocker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm

I think Community spirit is the main catalyst to any event and then people who are willing to put their effort into organising and promoting events.

Time was the various churches were the centre of dissemination of information but, now with so few attending any church or chapel that pipeline is severed. Glasthule is vibrant the two main pubs have good networks and good management and that parish centre is used by all denominations so events get discussed. Locals also call around to each other's houses and advise them of events.

Your age and gendere also influences what you get to hear about. When you are younger with children you mix with like minded individuals, go to playgrounds, football matches and hear everything there is for youngsters to do...you also hear of any diversion for adults :lol:
As you get older the scope is more limited and usually the woman is at the shops getting the gossip but elderly lads can get isolated and fall off the social radar.Unless you have a good gang the pub can be a lonely chatless place too.

Poor old Dún Laoghaire, it is sad.
The catholic church building is a big "white elephant" which could be used to get a bit of community spirit going. Years ago I was in the States and during the week the community could use the church buildings on various days those with toys, clothes, bric a brac could set up a sale in the church grounds and it suited everyone. People got cheap goods and an opportunity to chat.

The Council and business places have expended a loada money setting up chambers of commerce. tourist offices and business networks but most joes are unaware of these and what they say they do !

The Lexicon is a good meeting place and in Summer the pier is the spot to meet.
But, getting information of events out there........thats another thing..
I spend a lot of time in Austria and they have very basic communication skills in each town.....at the entrance to the town there is a big two sided information board with a shelter over it and glass fronted. Anything you want to sell or advertise is posted there and all the venues post there for each week. Everything from when the swimming pool is open to when the band are playing is listed. Now, each town has a semi official info place and they look after this info board but as it benefits the entire community it is treasured. The minute you arrive in the village you seek out the board and know what is happening........

Well I'm raving on but, I know how you feel MickR.....
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby bugrock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:21 am

Brilliant, Rocker! A great post with great insight. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Previous

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE