Connollys Shoe Shop

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Connollys Shoe Shop

Postby jordo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 am

Paper wont refuse ink Misti, an unofficial strike in this present climate supported by the Union and its top officials!!! Yeah right :roll: I must see if I have any of the leaflets giving the other side of the story as I stood with them on three seperate occasions.
jordo

Postby Jacqui » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 pm

This Morning T.V 3 "The Morning Show " went out to Dunlaoghaire with Martin King to chat with the lad's about their situation. Connollys was closed but when asked for an explanation their reply was "No comment". I for one will not be crossing any other branch of Connolly's doors till the lad's get what is rightfully owed to them.
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:41 am

Just came across this post. I was down there 2 weeks ago and stood with the Connolly workers. How they are being treated is an absolute disgrace. One of the lads who I know well has worked there for 38 years, in fact he told me that between 3 of them, they have 108 years service and the thanks they gets for this service is their earned money has been withheld. Shame on the owner.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby jordo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Gawd it's over two months since I was out there, didn't realise it was still going on :shock:
jordo

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Good one Grammer. I'm so glad they're digging their heels (no pun) in and fair play to all the people who continue to support them.
What a basket than Connolly Son is. :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Well done Grammer. I agree completely with Strum.That Connolly prat belongs in the Victorian era. I wonder what his father or the other partners would have thought of him. I was born and reared in Dun Laoghaire and I cannot remember a strike under the old regime. It use to be a source of decent employment.
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 pm

The TV 3--show -including interview with connolly shoe workers

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=the ... ideo=23964
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

That was a good interview and everything points to a complete rejection of standard industrial practice by Connolly's. Lets hope the courts skin them and the workers get their entitlements.
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 pm

yeh keep your fingers crossed for them DC
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jacqui » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 am

Nice one Grammer for finding that interview with T.V 3.....as I made a right hash of it :roll: :roll:

Fingers crossed for them.
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:45 pm

The strike has'nt gone away -its in its 8th month now!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Well well now and I was thinking a while back I bet that fkr will open under a new name for legal reasons to cover his back.
I certainly won't be going near it. :|

Maybe the lads can beat the famous Downey's Pub strike that lasted 14 years... I think? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:34 am

I do hope that Dun Laoghaire people boycott that abominable creature's shop.
Denis Cromie

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:02 pm

I am saddened that Connollys Shoes closed..I grew up from a baby almost with Connollys....I always remember Tom Whelan's Outfitters too.
Is Stephanie McManus Dads shop still there Jewellery and Pawn brokers...Stephanie was one of the gang

Enviro500
Last edited by Enviro500 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:34 pm

yeh connollys shoes looked after everyone from the greater D/L area-------

they even sold shoes for the footless :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby spudseamus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:35 pm

grammer wrote:yeh connollys shoes looked after everyone from the greater D/L area-------

they even sold shoes for the footless :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ya wouldn't have a leg to stand on Grammer :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Down in Dun Laoghaire to day and spoke to one of the strikers whom I know very well. He has 38 years service and is recovering from a heart attack. He told me that the creep Connolly changed the name of the shop to Shuvalue and then issued the strikers with a solicitor's letter warning them if they did not desist from picketing they would be charged and brought before the High Court. Their Union advised them that unless they were issued with a High Court injunction they should continuing with their picket. The High Court has already found in their favour in regard to their right to picket but the creep thought that by changing the name of the shop it would change the situation but legal advice states that as there is no material change in ownership of the shop their right to picket is still valid. So the Law can at times be on the side of the workers. My friend told me that he would picket till a decent settlement was made or till hell freezes over,Dun Laoghaire wasn't far from freezing today. It's hard to believe that anyone could dismiss 108 years of loyal service(the total of the 3 employees) to a shop without some recognition of that loyalty. Scrooge still rules OK, but then look what happened to Scrooge.
Denis Cromie

Postby Holla » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

I was in Dun laoghaire today i was talking to the guy outside connollys on picket duty he told me its sixteen months now since all this started :o he also told me one of the lads who worked in the mens shop has opened up a shoe shop in the shopping center so if you need new shoes he could do with a bit of support
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:19 pm

I was talking to one of the lads on picket duty a couple of weeks ago and he was saying the same. I must go in a buy something. Terrible shame how they are being treated. :(
Denis Cromie

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Gang,

This Matthew Connolly is a disgrace to the local business folk in Dun Laoghaire, A full boycott is the only way to bring him down. I am surprised that employment legislation in the Republic appears vastly different to that of ours over here.

I suppose us exPats have a bit of a gripe regards employment as we were the gang that were told, "Come back an a couple years and see what we have got!" AND THAT AFTER SPENDING FIVE YEARS as an apprentice. Things have changed now I trust !
Connolly's were a proud business for many years, My Garandmam, Mam, Dad, Family and neighbours kitted out at the shop, also Corrs and Tom Whelan..I can even remember the Provident cheques as currency !!!

I am going home in just over a week and I fell compelled to visit this Shoe value and make a comment... I will then go to Hicks and order all my meats for myself and friends for my return to Mother England..

Connolly, hold your head down in SHAME.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Kite » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Is this dispute still live?
Kite

Postby Holla » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:15 pm

"Kite"Is this dispute still live

If memory serves me correctly i saw one of the guys on picket duty christmas week.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

The Strike is still going on alright,didn't get a chance to talk to the lad I know on the picket. He was busy talking to 2 other people so I left them to it. Sad to see how slow the Law is when ordinary working people are being denied their rights.
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Yep the strike is still on !!!!!!!
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE