The Record Shop on Marine Road

The Town and its People past and present...

The Record Shop on Marine Road

Postby pauldegrae » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

There's probably something about this shop somewhere in the archives, but I'd need the name to find it. What am I talking about? you ask; crossly, even. Well, there used to be a fine record shop on Marine Road in pre-shopping centre days (1960s), about half-way down, by the bus stop. I'd forgotten about it until the other day, when a friend of mine emailed this comment:
Any mention of the lovely Sylvia of the music shop on Marine Road? Remember the pageboy haircut and how we used to stand in the shop listening to Tom Jones and Jim Reeves just because she was there? Or was that just me?

And back it all came. The lovely Sylvia is probably now the toast of the over-65s party scene, but good luck to her, and thanks for the memories. Ring a bell with anyone else?
pauldegrae

Re: the record shop on Marine Road

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:56 pm

There's mention of it here in the D/L topics somewhere. Try the search function.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I think the shop was Murray's Record Shop

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby pauldegrae » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:42 pm

That was the other one, Sinead, down George's Street near Walter's and The Bamboo: a better selection of music, to be sure, but Jimmy Murray was not as good-lookin' as yer wan in Marine Road. From somewhere in the unfrequented parts of my brain, the name "Fanning's" comes floating up; but I could be wrong.
pauldegrae

Postby jordo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Tom Jones and Jim Reeves!!! Gawd, she must have been REALLY good looking :)
Last edited by jordo on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jordo

Postby johndle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

She must have been showing her Belly Button :P :P
Wonder did play Sylvias Mother but the boys didnt take the hint :lol: :lol: :lol:
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby grammer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:30 am

The record shop on marine road was of course Fannings
and if anyone wants to check back through theD/L postings there are mentions of it
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Alex x » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Grammer,

was it not Fennings?

can't remember for sure but think I went to school with someone whose father owned it. Was there another record shop between Tierneys and the cafe on the corner(junction Patrick St) ?

I could be wrong about both.
Alex x

Postby grammer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:54 am

correct Alex well I think you are :D :D :D
glad to see someone bothers to read the posts :D :D :D :D :D
Hahahahahaaa sorry my mistake --

Alex I know the guy possibly you are talking about -is it Rob a really nice guy ???????
next time I see him I'll ask -crawl crawl are you fennings or fanninga??????? ;) ;) ;) ;)
maybe enviro will come to the recue first! :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Alex/ Grammer,

I bet your lovely sister Alex knows the name, I cannot rememer as I left in 1967 and indeed prior to that I tended to use Miurrays for records as it was near WALTERS... Oddly enough I bought records there but never used the coffee bar at all. I think the younger set went there like my Bro Sonni and the Strong girls B Geldof etc..

A bit cheesy for me then, but hey, that was the tine !!!!!!

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:40 pm

The Strongs. Were they from Monkstown Enviro?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Strum,
Indeed, Rachel and Sarah I knew and they lived in the Big house in what was called "Mackers" on Mounttown.. The site was built asd Fitzgerald Pk.. but in the 1960s there was four sisters and a brother and lived in this huge house. The Dad. whom I knew was a lovely guy and he was a Psychotherapist ( I think spellig is right)...The two girls aove like myself ended up in England and we all hung out for a time in South Kensington..SADLY I understand one of them died but not sure which...Really nice girls and went to school at either Kingstown Gramar or Glengara Pk ?

Hope that clears up and hopefully you may be able to tell me where the Strong family are now !!!
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Sylvia from the record shop on Marine Road certainly rang my bell too and i think she rang every schoolkids bell for miles around!! What a dreamboat. :twisted:
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Yes unfortunately Enviro Rachel died a few years back. A beautiful woman who became a close friend in the late 70's up until she died. R.I.P. Rachel. :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 pm

STRUM,

Thats a small world eh' we all parted the ways by 1969 and I lost touch then...Regan Heaphy kept in touch with Chris Quinton in Alberta and thats where I heard it .

I am indeed sad to hear. Was she married, family etc ?

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 am

Enviro500 wrote:I am indeed sad to hear. Was she married, family etc ? Enviro

No never married and no Kids. She was an Artist, writer... and long time relationship with Graham Knuttle. Long story, I'll PM you.

Here is a self-portrait sadly... :| £25,000 it sold for.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Jacqui » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Strum, Rachael was a friend but we lost touch over the year's, this is sad news she was a lovely person. R.I.P
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Strum, You know, it has just sunk in and Rachel was a brilliant girl and I am really saddened..I have memories of the late 1950s when we were quite young. Her Da would stop in his little Ford 100e, black of course at the Mart and it raining he would pile up to eight of us in this small car and tip us out at Eblana...He always had a smile and sometimes we would go into this old house with lots of antiques and it was a time warp. I only have vague memories of her Brother and a sister a lot older than us. Sarah was near Rachel's age..What happened to her then..A P.M. would be appreciated.I think the house was called Mounttown House ? cloudy memory Strum !!!

Such a sweet person

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Enviro. Yeah Rachel was a truly beautiful Lady. I didn't know any of the rest of her family personally.
I used to see her Brother (Dave I think) (a Gynecologist) playing Keyboards in a Band in the Purty Kitchen, can't remember his name or the Band?
Cloudy memories myself mate. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jacqui » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi Strum & Enviro, was it Rachel's brother that used a skateboard to get around ??? My memory of back then is pretty hazy! ;) :)
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby pauldegrae » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:50 am

Strum wrote:She was an Artist, writer... and long time relationship with Graham Knuttle. Long story, I'll PM you.
Here is a self-portrait sadly... :| £25,000 it sold for.

Definitely a *self*-portrait? Just wondering, because it's very like Knuttel's own stuff. I didn't know either of them personally, so am happy to be put right.
pauldegrae

Postby pauldegrae » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 am

farmboy wrote:Sylvia from the record shop on Marine Road certainly rang my bell too and i think she rang every schoolkids bell for miles around!! What a dreamboat. :twisted:

Glad to know somebody else remembers her, so it's not just my imagination. As I recall, it was mainly a classical music shop, and the gent in charge (presumably Mr Fanning or Fenning) was disapproving of us gurriers crowding in to drool at the lovely Sylvia. Can't blame him, I suppose: we must have lowered the tone something shocking.
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:15 pm

pauldegrae wrote:Definitely a *self*-portrait? Just wondering, because it's very like Knuttel's own stuff. I didn't know either of them personally, so am happy to be put right.

It's her own work alright Paul, probably influenced by Graham, all those blocks of colours and sharp lines. There is more of her work (similar stuff)
on google Images.

http://www.google.ie/images?q=rachel+st ... =0&ndsp=18
Strum
Administrator

Postby pauldegrae » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for that, Strum: some very interesting stuff there (leaving aside the stuff which is presumably to do with other Rachel Strongs): very powerful images, and great use of colour and space. A talent nipped in the bud, apparently; and one I'd not have known about otherwise, so thanks again.
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:17 pm

;) :D
Strum
Administrator

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE