Georges Street

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Georges Street

Postby grammer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:05 pm

great that you put some photos up Misti
yeh georges St. they ARE digging up the cobblestones and resurfacing the road --
the business people in that area have been complaining since they were laid -that there is a lack of traffic and potential customers are noot coming into the georges st. part of the town -from ST.Michaels church to St Michaels hospital --

forgotting to mention that there are no decent shops along that stretch of Georges St.
come to think of it there are no decent shops down the other end either :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby johndle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Well you Know the Corpo, " Always need a hole to look into " :lol: :lol:
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby jordo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for the photos Misti, Spud will be delighted they are re-surfacing the street :D
jordo

Postby Snowhite » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 am

Didn't know that was going on ?????? I dont think the cobbles stopped people shopping I think it's more the price to bloomin park your car :shock:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby spudseamus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:43 am

jordo wrote:Thanks for the photos Misti, Spud will be delighted they are re-surfacing the street :D

ahh now der ya go! they left it long enough so as i can send them a bill for my consultancy fees !! :twisted:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:19 pm

As there is no topic for St Michael's Hospital I am putting this nearby in Georges Street. I had forgotten this tale till this afternoon when a friend reminded me.

Many years ago we were in Spain in a town named Rosas and on our first dy there we went for a ramble to get to see the place. We met a lovely Spanish lady in a shop and as we were speaking English she came and asked us some questions...we said we were irish and she told us she worked next door in the doctor's surgery. Very pleasant.

That night we went to a restaurant and strolled back to the hotel ...we had to go by a piece of waste ground but thought nothing of it. Wham !! the next we were jumped by two lads who grabbed my friend's bag and set about whacking her.....I was a great help...I ran. They got the bag, money passports you name it....and she was very badly grazed and shaken. The next morning she was worse and I though about the doctor in the town. We went in and met the most divine man. Now, here is the thing ...when he heard we were irish he said he had trained in St. Michael's Hospital and had loved every minute of it. He longed to be back in Dún aoghaire. He moved heaven and earth to get us home ..my friend was traumatised. He contacted the Embassy about our passports...wrote letters for our doctors, got us taxi to the airport and would not take a penny...he was so sad that the drug problem which was rampant in the town had affected some people with Dún Laoghaire connections.I am sure he is long retired now but, we still remember his kindness....and all because he loved Dún Laoghaire.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE