Royal Terrace

The Town and its People past and present...

Royal Terrace

Postby pauldegrae » Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi gang,
I wandered in here by accident, and have found more unexpected memories than you could shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time. Credentials: I was born in Royal Terrace West in 1953, moved away in the 70s, have rarely been back since, but still dream of the place. Suffered through CBS Eblana Avenue; survived. Saw my first movie ("Samson and Delilah") in the old Pavilion, taken there by Paul Singer and family. Served the last mass in the old St Michael's just before it burned down. Got into music. Bought my first record in Murray's Record Shop and still have it; did my first gig there too, followed by more in the Foxrock Folk Club. And so on, and so on. Looking forward to exploring here.

( | 0 }====:::
pauldegrae

Re: hello hello

Postby johndle » Thu May 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Welcome Welcome Welcome Paul
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Sinead » Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Dear Pauldegrae

Werlcome to the site, I remember Paul Singer, his wife and children. Jerome Shanahan and his son lived across the road from me in Mulgrave Street. Did you know the Rogers family in Royal Terrace?

You will have fun a get a great welcome on this site.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby pauldegrae » Thu May 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Sinead wrote:Did you know the Rogers family in Royal Terrace?

Ringing faint bells with me, Sinead, but can't quite conjure up names or faces: it was all a while ago! I lived in Mulgrave Street myself for a while after we downsized out of Royal Terrace in 1971: no. 36, uphill from you, I'd say. I spoke to Mrs Singer (Irma) on the phone a few years ago; she is/was living in Canada, and kept in touch with my parents and an older sister over the years.
Paul.
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Paul, I grew up on Mulgrave Terrace and played most my youth in Royal Tce, the Monkstown Hockey Club it was then.
Oh happy days being chased out of that field. :D

Very clever use of the keyboard keys to make your signature, the Guitar. Nice one. :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Thu May 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Pauldegrae:

No 36 sounds like the old Catchpole house would that be about right? Second last before Annamount and Mulgrave Terrace?
The Rogers children were Terry, Siobhain, John, Johanne I think all the others were born after Royal Terrace.
Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby pauldegrae » Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Catchpole house is right, fair play to you. When I was small and going to school in Eblana Avenue, we used to hurry past that house, because unspecified "terrible things" were supposed to have happened there: himself chasing herself with a hatchet, was it? There was a hatchet involved somehow, I'm nearly certain. Then it was empty for a number of years before being renovated by... what was the name of that builder? Imagine my surprise on being told that we were moving out of Royal Terrace and into *that house* in 1971; at least I was old enough then to not believe in ghosts, or not so much.
pauldegrae

Postby pauldegrae » Thu May 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Strum wrote:Hi Paul, I grew up on Mulgrave Terrace and played most my youth in Royal Tce, the Monkstown Hockey Club it was then.
Oh happy days being chased out of that field. :D

Yes indeed. On a visit back there a couple of years ago, I was surprised to find the old hockey pitch planted with trees. I was also delighted to find again the place where a muscular older child had bent the railings apart to allow us small fry to sneak in: it was still the same, though alas I wouldn't fit through now. I took a photo which I'll submit here when I figure how to do that. We used to have "Olympics" there back in the day; three times around the square was a mile, or so we believed, and there'd be jumping over ropes tied to lamp-posts, and so on. God, I'm turning into the old codger in the Brennan's bread ad...
pauldegrae

Postby jordo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 pm

pauldegrae wrote: We used to have "Olympics" there back in the day; three times around the square was a mile, or so we believed, and there'd be jumping over ropes tied to lamp-posts, and so on. God, I'm turning into the old codger in the Brennan's bread ad...

Hi Paul and welcome. Keep those stories coming, we thrive on them here :)
jordo

Postby brandy » Thu May 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Paul welcome to the site, looking foreward to more stories. :D :D
brandy

Postby grammer » Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Paul welcome to the site --hope you enjoy
as jordo said we need new blood here Image

only messing you are very welcome -look forward to your memories and stories - :D
gaaaawd was'nt Murrays record shop so important in our lives -- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby pauldegrae » Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 am

grammer wrote:gaaaawd was'nt Murrays record shop so important in our lives -- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wasn't it, though? Both the shop itself and the basement coffee bar. It's largely in hindsight that you can appreciate the importance of having a well-stocked music shop with interested well-informed people behind the counter; as I said, I still have the first record I bought there ("The Leadbelly Box", a 2-LP set of the great blues guitarist and singer), and there's probably a good few more in the old vinyl vaults here that also came from Murray's. That shop was an education for many of us.

The coffee bar was such a cool place too. Where else would we have learned about putting aspirin in your Coca-Cola? Seems so innocent now... There was a crew of good musicians who used to play there from time to time; the only name I can recall now is Johnny Norris. At a *much* lower standard, I played there myself a few times. My very first gig was there: a spotty 13- or 14-year-old playing a 12-string guitar nearly as big as himself and trying to sing like an old blues man... jeez, it must have been hilarious. But how generous of the owners to let youngsters like me try out their stuff.

Sudden chilling thought: if someone comes up with a recording of any of my gigs, I'm out of here...
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Fri May 14, 2010 12:03 pm

pauldegrae wrote:
grammer wrote:
Sudden chilling thought: if someone comes up with a recording of any of my gigs, I'm out of here...

Ah go on Paul, tellus... :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Steamboy » Sat May 15, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Paul,

I used to live in 23 Royal Tce West in the basement. We played together. You had heaps of airplanes, second world war models. We had good time together. Used to have the rosary in your first floor lounge room. We used to play with a fell down further by the name of Brian Little. Do you remember him? No 23 was across the road where the Singers used to live. We played with them too be fore Paul got arrested. He was fiddlin in stamps from memory. Send me a PM and I'll tell you who I am if you have forgotten.

By the way I was there last in 2007 and saw the place for the first time in many years. The sheep are gone, the hockey pitch is a park and the little cottages are closed. Do you remember me falling out of the tree there?

BCNU
Steamboy
Stellar Member

Postby Strum » Sat May 15, 2010 11:56 am

There's another post here somewhere telling the story of the Stamp saga.
Strum
Administrator

Postby pauldegrae » Sat May 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Steamboy wrote:I used to live in 23 Royal Tce West in the basement. We played together. You had heaps of airplanes, second world war models. We had good time together. Used to have the rosary in your first floor lounge room. We used to play with a fell down further by the name of Brian Little. Do you remember him? No 23 was across the road where the Singers used to live. We played with them too be fore Paul got arrested. He was fiddlin in stamps from memory. Send me a PM and I'll tell you who I am if you have forgotten.

By the way I was there last in 2007 and saw the place for the first time in many years. The sheep are gone, the hockey pitch is a park and the little cottages are closed. Do you remember me falling out of the tree there?

On the rare occasions when I happened to be in Dun Laoghaire in recent decades, I felt like Oisín revisiting his native place after all those years in Tír na nÓg (or in my case, Kerry: same difference). So it's startling to have one of the ancient warriors --forgive the metaphor--rise up and speak. No. 23, no. 23... your name will come to me. I don't look back on those years with any great fondness, but I'm glad to know we had some good times, anyway.

I remember the rosary every evening in our house: all kneeling down in the living room, leaning our elbows on the seats of the chairs. One of the chairs had a cushion with images of Bols Advokaat on it; to this day, if I see a bottle of Bols, I have flashbacks. I particularly remember nearly cracking up one time when I looked around to see one of my sisters with the beads draped through her fingers and a heaven-gazing pious expression on her face--obviously posed to look like one of the popular "holy pictures" of the time.

Falling out of the tree: remind me of that episode?
pauldegrae

Postby Steamboy » Sun May 16, 2010 5:22 am

Paul, I checked my pictures and we were in 23 basement. I too don't recall too many good times back then, it was somewhat oppressive. I was adventurous. You may not recall but we explored all around the place and Little got us into trouble from time to time. One day we wandered into The Cottage Home where they had a big chestnut tree and I foolishly climbed it and fell off one of the branches and hurt my back. I only discover last year that I did some permanent damage but it's ok. Someone rang the gardai and told on me and they knocked on the door at home and me ma said I was away or something and I never heard any more. I reckon they knocked on the wrong front door; maybe it should have been the Cottage Home. I am glad you recall the rosary. For me it was a case of escaping your house before being caught. Got me a few times just the same. Funny our paths never crossed when I moved further way. Not very far. Anyway I wasted some time in Murray's record shop too and drank lots of Fanta and Coke. They had great gear then. The latest in stereo equipment, stuff to die for.

Happy daze.
Steamboy
Stellar Member

Postby pauldegrae » Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago of the spot in the railings of Royal Terrace where someone's kind older brother had bent the railings apart so that we little tykes could get in without having to risk life and limb climbing over the spikes:

I wish I were a poet and could convey how seeing this evokes all sorts of ideas about how actions, words, music, etc., can resonate long afterwards... tho' I realize that in practical terms, it would be surprising if someone had gone to the trouble of bending the bars straight again!
Paul.
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Sun May 16, 2010 1:37 pm

pauldegrae wrote: where someone's kind older brother had bent the railings apart so that we little tykes could get in without having to risk life and limb climbing over the spikes:

We were constantly being chased out of that Field and had loads of escape gaps in the Railings, but once, I think it was Tony Gaskin, tried to go over the top and slipped. :shock:
He was impaled on the Railings and had to stay like that till the ambulance got there. 4 Spikes in the Stomach...nasty... :o
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue May 18, 2010 12:56 am

by the way gang i was talking to joeydunlop he says hello to everyone -
he's forgotten his password and is gonna try and get back tomorrow
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Bicycle Bill » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 am

Oh ...you have the memories flooding back...I worked in the coffee shop in Murrays 1969-1970. I remember Bob Geldof playing the blues,, Lloyd Quinton RIP. him with the beautiful sisters..We had some gerat times. Jimmy Murray sells records in Georges Street Market in city..

bb :P
Bicycle Bill

Re: Royal Terrace

Postby murphs » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi All
I lived in the Basement Flat of 19 Royal Terrace West beside Paul in No 20.
I cant put a face on the guy in No 23, but I do remember Brian little who lived further up the Terrace and he did seem to bring trouble along with him.
Another guy who I remember was Robert Frane who lived I think in No 24.
He had an older brother John and a number of sisters, Joe been one as well as Hilary, a Fasion Model who went on to marry Galen Weston and made a life in Canada.
She was later Head of Brown Thomas in Dublin and ofton appears in Lists as Ireland's Richest Woman.
Brian Little had a sister named Barbara.
Another name from that time was Con O Connor who lived on the East Terrace.
I remember hin sliping on a Ice Slide we made and smashing his front teeth.Painfull
murphs

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 pm

murphs wrote: Robert Frane

Alive and well living in Monkstown. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby murphs » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for the update Strum, a lot of water under the Bridge since I mixed it with those boys.
murphs

Postby jaytee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi ye Murphs, I got excited when I Saw the resurection of ROYAL TCE. (Well it is 'Friday night'& Im at home scry scry )
I dont recognise any names so far but keep posting I went to Dominican & grew up on the town .
jaytee

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE