Royal Terrace

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Royal Terrace

Postby Sinead » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Jaytee:

I think you Mam would be aghast at your phrase ' I grew up on the town'. That phrase
has another meaning.

Murphs, I remember a lot of the names you give. I haven't thought of the O'Connors
in years, you are reviving more memories. Con's sister Gertie was in school with my
sister. I had cousins, by the name of Rogers who lived in Royal Terrace many years
ago, I think it was next door to the Freynes.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby murphs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes Sinead I do remember the Rogers family.
They were'nt in RT for long.
I think they were in the bookie business, son's Terry and I think John a sister with long red hair.
I heard years later that she married George Hamilton the sports commentator with BBC Radio 5 and now RTE
murphs

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am

murphs wrote:I think they were in the bookie business, son's Terry and I think John a sister with long red hair.

Spot on. The other brother is Brian, lives in Clarinda Park at the moment.
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 pm

I remember a guy named Charlie Fleming who lived on the Terrace. He had a plumbing business; was a big Dubs supporter, and drank in the Hibernia. Wasn't there a couple who ran a guest house on the West side? Think the name might have been Holden. Always thought the husband was a dead ringer for John Wayne. One of the teachers in the Seco used to stay there........Geary, also known as Chink.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Reading the heading Royal Terrace reminded me of one of my mother's stories.
In 1933 her mother remarried and it caused a little consternation in the house!! My 17 year old mother and her two younger sisters and one older brother moved into a flat in Royal Terrace. Just two of them were working so money was tight. They had two rooms and loved every minute of it.My Uncle worked as a gardener in some big house in Dundrum so set off on his bike every morning about 5 a.m. One wet dreary day he found a parcel on the road and stopped put it in the carrier and went on to work. He got home about 7p.m and opened the parcel It was full of bank notes.(Probably not a huge amount but when you were earning a shilling a day working from dawn to dusk it was life changing) They split it four ways and had food and clothes for a year. She always said Royal Terrace was the luckiest sojourn of her life.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

People think Royal Tce was a posh place to grow up, but in reality most of the people I knew who lived there were all familes living in 2 bed flats and a few of them were re-housed to Fitzgerald PK in Mountown or Tivoli Tce in D/L in the mid 70's.
Great memories though. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Rocker, reminds me of a story, I worked with a guy many years ago and he was coming to work one morning and foiund a brown paper bag. When he opened it there was a gun, a balaclava and £14,000, this was when we were earning about three grand a year. Unfortunately his father was a bank manager and he told him what he had found. Of course the Dad told him to turn it in and it was proceeds from a Post Office or Bank robbery, I can't remember which. Had I found it first..... well I'd probably still have the gun. :lol:
Sorry for going off topic....back to Royal Terrace.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Ah hell off topic or not haha. I was going up Grafton street in the late 70's with a mate and he pointed at a roll of green something at the edge of the pavement and said, look doesn't your mother collect those green shield stamps.
I picked it up and it was a roll of 43 pounds. It was a fair bit of money then. Woohoo! :D
Did we hand it in? :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I see the coco are doing a bit of work on the old hockey pitch at Royal terrace putting a path around the perimeter of the park and a few trees have gone for the chop,I always thought this park was privately owned and maintained by the residents,ya learn something new everyday
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby ColetteMcCarron » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 am

pauldegrae hello - I also lived in Royal Terrace West - no 21 from 1956 for a few years but was only a baby - but you may have known my brother Kevin Doran - born 1953!
Colette
ColetteMcCarron
Stellar Member

Previous

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE