Dairies in Dun Laoghaire

The Town and its People past and present...

Dairies in Dun Laoghaire

Postby Thomastown » Fri May 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
An old electric Milk Float delivering somewhere in Dun Laoghaire area.(Where)?
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Re: Dairies in Dun Laoghaire

Postby Strum » Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Thomastown wrote:An old electric Milk Float delivering somewhere in Dun Laoghaire area.(Where)?

Great photos you put up tonight thomastown.

I guess that's the Metals off Eden Road on the stretch between the Bridge and Sandycove/Glasthule station?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:14 pm

great photo thomastown
yeh agree with Strum -
Magenta place (well think thats the name of the place) left at the bridge down Eden road walking down the metals towards the railway station :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Thomastown » Sun May 09, 2010 10:42 am

Bang on Grammer & Strum. Magenta Place it is. Had hoped to milk this one,but you lads are on the ball.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Thomastown wrote:Bang on Grammer & Strum. Magenta Place it is. Had hoped to milk this one,but you lads are on the ball.

Haha milk it. :D :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Thomastown » Tue May 18, 2010 10:02 pm

T.E.K. (Suttons) Horse Drawn Milk Float.1960s .Anyone want to guess where this photo was taken.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Tue May 18, 2010 10:48 pm

better get in before Harjoe

great photos Thomastown as usual -you have some classics

anyway is it TEKS old football ground????????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Snowhite » Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Horse Show at the RDS ??? (Years ago) ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby pauldegrae » Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 am

It's probably in the archives here somewhere, but what was the story with the "TEK" name anyway: Tel El Khebyr, wasn't it, or something like that? That's not local, I'm fairly sure! Great photo, in any case.
pauldegrae

Postby Strum » Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Yep R.D.S. I reckon. Enviro know loads about the TEK Dairies...more posts about it here somewhere else I remember.

BTW, did Enviro not make it over last weekend?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Chiropodist » Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 pm

The name of the dairy was Tel El Kebir based in Mountown. We got our milk from them but in those days,the milk was carried in churns on the back of a two wheeled horse drawn cart.
Chiro
Chiropodist

Postby Thomastown » Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 pm

The Photo was taken at the Spring Show in the RDS. Thats Arthur Ebbs and I think Eamonn Walsh.
Both worked in T.E.K in Monkstown. There were 2 more Dairies in Mounttown. Dublin Dairies beside the Mart and Lucan Dairies next door,both were depots. The barn is still in the Lucan Dairies yard which was the stables for the horses and you can still see it to this day.In the Dublin Dairies yard you can still see the fridges.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby *stargazer* » Thu May 20, 2010 8:59 am

Have a relative called Keegan who was fined for watering the milk back in the early 1900's:shock: :shock: :shock: Have the details in a book, and when I get time will put it on...have to trawl through the book again...I think it was the dairy in Mountown.
Last edited by *stargazer* on Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
*stargazer*

Postby pauldegrae » Thu May 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks to Chiropodist for the correct spelling of Tel el Kebir. I just did what I should have done in the first place,and googled those words. Here's what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tel_el-Kebir. The gist:
The Battle of Tel el-Kebir or el-Tal el-Kebir was between the Egyptian army led by Ahmed Urabi and the British military fought near Tel-el-Kebir. After discontented Egyptian officers under Urabi rebelled in 1882 the United Kingdom reacted to protect its financial and expansionist interests in the country, and in particular the Suez Canal.

The connection with a dairy in Dun Laoghaire still escapes me, I have to say.
The weird and wonderful Scottish poet (using the word very loosely) William McGonagall wrote a poem about it, which you can find here: http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/poems/pgkebir.htm.
I'll stop now...
pauldegrae

Postby Thomastown » Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm

pauldegrae wrote:Thanks to Chiropodist for the correct spelling of Tel el Kebir. I just did what I should have done in the first place,and googled those words. Here's what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tel_el-Kebir. The gist:
The Battle of Tel el-Kebir or el-Tal el-Kebir was between the Egyptian army led by Ahmed Urabi and the British military fought near Tel-el-Kebir. After discontented Egyptian officers under Urabi rebelled in 1882 the United Kingdom reacted to protect its financial and expansionist interests in the country, and in particular the Suez Canal.

The connection with a dairy in Dun Laoghaire still escapes me, I have to say.
The weird and wonderful Scottish poet (using the word very loosely) William McGonagall wrote a poem about it, which you can find here: http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/poems/pgkebir.htm.
I'll stop now...

Hi Pauldegrae
The connection is Thomas Sutton who fought at the Battle of Tel-EI-Kebir returned to ireland and started a Dairy and named it T.E.K. which is Tel-El-Kebir.The dairy was situated at the roundabout at Abbey Road and Stradbrook Road where the shop is. There was over 100 people employed there running the Dairy and delivering the milk.
Watch out for a few photos on this site.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Old photo of Dublin Dairies Depot in Mounttown.
Taken in 1966-67
Milk was brought out from Crumlin in milk bottles and delivered as far out as Wicklow.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Thomastown,
Are you sure about the date. I lived by MOUNTTOWN until 1967. I was sure that Dubilin Dairies went much earlier, They were behind what is now McCormicks Embibing Emporium and almost next to that was Lucan Dairies who used Horses and Chariot type carts..I worked from about 1959 to 1966 weekends/Hols delivering Merville milk with Liam Roberts all over Monkstown, DunLaoghaireSandycove, Killiney Noggin etc.
You may well be correct sir as Time dims the Matter upstairs !!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Thomastown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Enviro

Yes time plays tricks on the old memory but I know Dublin Dairies merged with TEK (Suttons) and became Premier Dairies and that was 1967.
If you covered milk rounds in those areas I can assure you our paths crossed many times.

Lucan Dairies Mounttown closed about 8 years earlier . All the routes were moved to TEK. I knew the men and the horses by name in Lucan Dairies.
John Flanagan and his horse Bob delivered to Sallynoggin .Larry Mooney and his horse Kitty delivered around the farm and as far as Killiney.
The barn where the horses were stabled still stands to this day behind Mc Cormacks.
Dublin Dairies was next door and behind the Mart.I think the fridges are still there.
In Merville Dairies I knew MattThompson ,he delivered in Bray.Hope this jogs the memory.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby farmboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Cant say I remember the dairies in Mounttown but I well remember TEK at the end of Abbey road. There was a funfair/family day in aid of the little hospital, I think it was St Gabriels off Johnstown road around 1967 or 68 and we scouts were involved. My job for the day was to pick up a milk float (and horse :) ) at TEK and take it to the hospital grounds. There, for a 6d fee I would carry people around a circuit of the hospital grounds, far as I remember there were bench seats fitted to the cart. I know there wasnt as much fast traffic back then as there is now but I shiver when I think of myself at about 13 or 14 years of age flying down Pottery road with Bob the horse probably in more control than me!!! :o Thats not to mention the risk of the horse being startled and bolting among the huge crowd of people at the fete. Thankfully that didnt happen and the day was a great success with a nice wad of dosh being made by us and several other attractions there.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:28 pm

They are great pics Thomastown. We had an electric float delivering to our estate back in the day and one morning it went on fire and rolled to a halt at the end of our cul de sac. That was at about 6 30 or 7 in the morning and the incident even made the rte news at 8 o clock! How innocent those days must have been to have such a minor event reported, there wasnt even anybody injured.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Hot milk for the cornflakes :lol:
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Thomastown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 pm

farmboy wrote:They are great pics Thomastown. We had an electric float delivering to our estate back in the day and one morning it went on fire and rolled to a halt at the end of our cul de sac. That was at about 6 30 or 7 in the morning and the incident even made the rte news at 8 o clock! How innocent those days must have been to have such a minor event reported, there wasnt even anybody injured.

I remember it well.It was about 5 am and the float burst into flames in Highthorn Park,the only casualty was a lovely sheepskin jacket.
I assume thisis the same incident.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 pm

farmboy wrote:Cant say I remember the dairies in Mounttown but I well remember TEK at the end of Abbey road. There was a funfair/family day in aid of the little hospital, I think it was St Gabriels off Johnstown road around 1967 or 68 and we scouts were involved. My job for the day was to pick up a milk float (and horse :) ) at TEK and take it to the hospital grounds. There, for a 6d fee I would carry people around a circuit of the hospital grounds, far as I remember there were bench seats fitted to the cart. I know there wasnt as much fast traffic back then as there is now but I shiver when I think of myself at about 13 or 14 years of age flying down Pottery road with Bob the horse probably in more control than me!!! :o Thats not to mention the risk of the horse being startled and bolting among the huge crowd of people at the fete. Thankfully that didnt happen and the day was a great success with a nice wad of dosh being made by us and several other attractions there.

Give yourself a pat on the back Farmboy as you are one of the last horsemen.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby farmboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Was it that early? the old memory dimming again but I was just guessing the time really. Had to be the same incident, far as I know it never happened there before or since and I lived near the end of the cul de sac for over 24 years. It woke us up anyway and brought a bit of excitement to the place :) Do you know what year it happened?
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Thomastown wrote:
farmboy wrote:Cant say I remember the dairies in Mounttown but I well remember TEK at the end of Abbey road. There was a funfair/family day in aid of the little hospital, I think it was St Gabriels off Johnstown road around 1967 or 68 and we scouts were involved. My job for the day was to pick up a milk float (and horse :) ) at TEK and take it to the hospital grounds. There, for a 6d fee I would carry people around a circuit of the hospital grounds, far as I remember there were bench seats fitted to the cart. I know there wasnt as much fast traffic back then as there is now but I shiver when I think of myself at about 13 or 14 years of age flying down Pottery road with Bob the horse probably in more control than me!!! :o Thats not to mention the risk of the horse being startled and bolting among the huge crowd of people at the fete. Thankfully that didnt happen and the day was a great success with a nice wad of dosh being made by us and several other attractions there.

Give yourself a pat on the back Farmboy as you are one of the last horsemen.TT

I always loved horses TT, but it astounds me to think how brave(or stupid maybe :roll: ) I was in those days. I know I,d be very nervous if I had to do it today. Probably an age thing, like not having fear of climbing ladders onto roofs back then where now I,d want to be well rewarded for the same task, thats if I even had the nerve to go up on a roof! :|
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE