Walters

The Town and its People past and present...

Walters

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Walters

John Walters, farmer, of Knockatana Castle, Caherconlish, E Co.Limerick (same area as Lloyd family home),
Walters and Humphreys knew each other from Limerick days,

1. Will Walters,
William, Willie,
farmer, of Cloghnadromin (between Boher and Caherconlish), Abington par, Co.Limerick,
mar Annie McGrath,
he was at Mick's funeral 1934,
had issue:
1. (think 3 children) Walters.
(According to [Ryan family tree], although there is some confusion here.)

2. Jack Walters,
said to be of Ballysimon, Kilmurry par (just E of Limerick city), Co.Limerick,
John, born 1877, Co.Limerick,
mar 1stly, 1902, to Margaret Lloyd [born 15 Apr 1874], no issue,
took over Lloyd's pub, 68 Upper Georges St, Dun Laoghaire, that was prob. owned by Margaret's father,
he is already listed as merchant, living 68 Upper Georges St, at mar 1902, possibly he ran the pub for John Lloyd before mar,
after mar, his name appears on pub, "John Walters" listed at 68 Upper Georges St in [Thoms] 1904 edn on,
he and his wife were at her uncle Dr.David's funeral 1903,
he must be "J.Walters" of Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire), listed as "cousin" of Dr.David at funeral 1903,
Margaret's widowed mother and unmarried sister lived with them, see census entry 1911, he is listed as "grocer and wine merchant",
Margaret died 4 Sept 1917, 68 Upper Georges St, age 43 yrs, of pneumonia [GROI],
he is described as "merchant", living 68 Upper Georges St, at mar 1923,

mar 2ndly, 1923, to her younger sister Mary Lloyd [born 30th Mar 1881], no issue,
he was at Mick's funeral 1934,
both at Nell's funeral 1939,
he is described as "merchant" at death,
he died 24th Mar 1940, 32 Clarinda Park East, Dun Laoghaire, age 63 yrs [GROI],
Walters pub, 68 Upper Georges St, Dun Laoghaire was sold to a nephew on Walters side 1940, who then lost it by c.1950,
Mary died 1 July 1957, St.Joseph's convent, Tivoli Rd, Dun Laoghaire, age 76 yrs [GROI].

3. Dr. Mortimer Walters,
Mort, born Knockatana Castle, Caherconlish, Co.Limerick,
qualified as doctor 1906,
mar Geraldine Hackett and had issue,
appointed 1912 as dispensary officer to Ballsbridge Dispensary, Co.Dublin,
working in Baggot St Hospital at time of 1916 Rising, attended to the wounded,
went in to Sighle Humphreys in jail 1923 to try and get her off hunger strike,
became Coroner for North Co.Dublin 1926,
was at Mick's funeral 1934,
lived 36 Elgin Rd, Ballsbridge, Co.Dublin,
died 25 Oct 1937,
see obituary in Irish Times, 26 Oct.

4. Dickie Walters,
dentist,
"Richard Walters" wit Jack Walters' mar 1923,
"Richard Walters" was at Mick's funeral 1934.

5. Dr. Chris Walters.

Dr. Mortimer Walters (white coat, on RHS) attended the wounded in 1916 Rising.
See full size. From the Daily Sketch, 6 May 1916.

* Walters pub, Dun Laoghaire still exists, still has old name:
Walters pub and restaurant (see archive), 68 Upr Georges St (nr Peoples Park), Dun Laoghaire.

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Humphrys/walters.html
Strum
Administrator

Re: Walters

Postby grammer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:21 pm

great info there Strum -interesting family what??????
grammer

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Just came across it and thought I'd post it.

I was there last night. THE BEST cover band I have EVER heard! :D
Can't remember their name though.
Yayyyy a 15 minute walk home to the Willow at 4am! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 am

yuppie --- :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
its all uphill now Strum :) :) :) :)

just as I cant find anywhere to post this -
a little birdie told me Smyths is closed again
wha about the boat??????? :| :| :|
grammer

Postby jordo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks Guys,
I have another photo Sinead of a very beautiful girl with the name 'Petra' Kenny written on the back, anyone any ideas.

Thanks for sorting out the who's who, I didn't recognise anybody in it, it was my cousin who named Peader and as I said I remember him from outside Walters.

Sputnik the photo may have been taken as early as 1935 ish and it is definitely Eden Villas in our front garden.
jordo

Postby skins » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Peadar did sell papers outside Easons alright, but I think he used to move on down the town in the late afternoon, selling in places like the Cosy and Walters, and I think he used to then spend some time outside Walters catching passing trade. So both of you are probably correct.

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Peader Kenny was from the Cross Avenue area and sold newspapers all over the town the last time I talked to him he was outside Weirs on Lr Georges st , I used to play cards with him in the Workman's Club where he was a member for years
I remember he had a brother Paul who went to Eblana around the same time as Denis,Skins, and myself I thought he lived in Domnick St
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby skins » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Harjoe,

Don't remember any Paul Kenny at C.B.S........maybe you're thinking of Paul KELLY?

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby spudseamus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 pm

ahh i do remember tha man with the black hands!! wow a memory trigger for sure :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Peader lived in Desmond Ave. John his brother worked in Crokes and became a postman and as far as I can remember a sister Mary who went to England.Their mother died young and Mr. Kenny married again and I think another 5 children were born. Paddy,Rosaleen,Brendan, Michael and the youngest girl whose name I can't remember. Peader had a tough life as a newspaperman,it's a 7 day week in all kinds of weather and that all takes its toll. He always took an interest in local happenings and would keep you up to date in what was going on.

Skins Paul Kelly left Ireland when he was 14 or so,he spent some time in Australia,perhaps you met up, I heard that he passed away a year or so ago.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby skins » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Denis,

No, never knew that about Paul Kelly. I came across a website belonging to an Andrew Ruane recently. Contacted it, and sure enough it turned out to be the same Andy we went to school with. He went to California with his brother when he was 16, and been there ever since. I told him about this site, and that he should find it interesting, but never heard from him after that.
In case I'm accused of going off-topic.........the Da and myself were regulars there (the Bar, not the poncey Lounge!).

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I had my first Pint in that Bar mid to late 70's. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Strum,
I started in Walters 1965, Tony Keegan was the barman, A real nice guy. Tom McGuirk owned then. Regulars were Christy Tate and Rusty Cairns, Glasthule chaps ans a bit older than us but great fun..I think both passed on by now, certainly poor Christy.

A good pub then and I used it everytime on my visits home until mid 1980s...Not been there for many years

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Still a popular Pub and Music Venue today Enviro, Restaurant upstairs aswell.
I distinctly remember that first pint. Smithwick's it was in an old smokey back room with a TV up in the corner.
I was 16 :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Only in Walters once or twice, it was a bit too far from Dominick Street to stagger home from. :lol:
Skins, didn't The Ruanes lived in the laneway on Marine Road across from the church. Joe, Andy's brother works in furniture restoration in Arnotts I use to see him around when I worked in the GPO.
Denis Cromie

Postby skins » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Denis,

I thought they lived over a chemist's shop (H.C.R.?) on the front of George's Street, but I suppose they would have had access from the laneway, as you say.

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Skins
Your are right about Paul Kelly it was later on that night I remember Peader brother John who was a postman and I think lived up in Mountwood est and I remember Brendan Kenny.
Paul Kelly lived in Domnick St down near where Eddie Ryan and Matt Rooney lived again they were on my route when swaping comics before getting up to that Cromie's house :D :D :D
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:51 pm

The Ruane family lived over HCR Chemist which was between Roman Cafe and Moynihans pub. When they moved from George's Streed they lived in Granitefield. Mrs. Ruane was a dressmaker, she made my wedding dress.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks, Sinead, I wasn't too far out, so. If you do a Google search you should be able to find Andy's website. It's got some photos of him, but of course he wouldn't be recognisable to me after all these years.

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Harjoe wrote:Skins
Your are right about Paul Kelly it was later on that night I remember Peader brother John who was a postman and I think lived up in Mountwood est and I remember Brendan Kenny.
Paul Kelly lived in Domnick St down near where Eddie Ryan and Matt Rooney lived again they were on my route when swaping comics before getting up to that Cromie's house :D :D :D

I always knew that the best swops were gone before you came to me. ;) ;)
Denis Cromie

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:40 pm

skins wrote:Denis,

I thought they lived over a chemist's shop (H.C.R.?) on the front of George's Street, but I suppose they would have had access from the laneway, as you say.

Skins

I was only ever allowed to use the back entrance. :lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby MickR » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:01 am

I worked in Walters mid 70s, the bar then was men only then, with the ladies contained in the lounge or back room. The back room was a stark and dingy throw back to the 40s and 50s, dirty carpet and horrific wallpaper. A really busy pup most nights and myself and a few mates were the lounge boys getting a whopping £1.50 a night plus tips. I remember one of the barmen had a very distinctive closing call. "Now lads now lads now lads Please" shouted at the top of his voice 30 or more times to clear the bar ( might have been called Paddy). Cant remember who the owner was but I think the customers called him Skippy. The customers were a great mix of people, all wanting to know who you were so they could tell you your family history. Great days
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:48 am

MickR wrote:I worked in Walters mid 70s, the bar then was men only then, with the ladies contained in the lounge or back room. The back room was a stark and dingy throw back to the 40s and 50s, dirty carpet and horrific wallpaper. A really busy pup most nights and myself and a few mates were the lounge boys getting a whopping £1.50 a night plus tips. I remember one of the barmen had a very distinctive closing call. "Now lads now lads now lads Please" shouted at the top of his voice 30 or more times to clear the bar ( might have been called Paddy). Cant remember who the owner was but I think the customers called him Skippy. The customers were a great mix of people, all wanting to know who you were so they could tell you your family history. Great days

Cool, we're back on topic...:mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 am

Good to hear from you Mickr,I'm one of those who stray now and again, I thought I was back in the pub. :lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie

Postby Holla » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:58 am

Its like time travel i can hear paddy shouting time now lads and the other barman i remember was john a short guy from a cavan died about eight or nine years ago a young man the pub was owned by two men owen duffy and Tom boyle or boylan owen always worked the bar i was a regular enough visitor in the eighties till about 2000 i had an uncle was a regular there till he died in 2000 i would pop in to see him had some good times there
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE