Dalkey Tram

The Town and its People past and present...

Dalkey Tram

Postby Thomastown » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Tram No 181 outside its terminus in Dalkey 1948
If you notice the white Bumper it tells you it was during or after the War as they were painted white during the blackout,also see the Tram Poles that Grammer spoke of running from Dalkey to Nelson's Pillar.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 pm

great photo there Thomastown----
grammer

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 am

Thomastown,

You are probably aware that the shot is outside the Dalkey 'Shed' as the depots were termed and indeed that very building and the tracks, from the gate are still in place..even more fantastic is the fact that the Gates are also there complete with the "D.U.T.C." Logo scroll.. I must get Strum to post the shot
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 pm

The last Dalkey tram ran in July 1949, having had their lives extended as a result of World War II...most lines went by 1940 however the routes 7, Dun Laoghaire, 8 Dalkey, 14 Dartry and 15 Terenure lasted the course
and were delayed because of the post war production of new buses. Many U.K operators lost buses in the Blitz and later by the VI and V II Doodlebugs right up to 1944.
Ireland had to take its place in the queue. Finally in March 1948 the first completely finished buses were delivered via Larne and some delivered to the North Wall and believe it or not the bodies were fitted here at dockside, to the Leyland chassis.

Between 1948 and 49 one hundred and fifty buses were delivered. This was in addition to what was already being built 'in house' at Spa Rd in Inchicore. I hope to supply some more pictures on this article soon.

Apart from this the separately owned Great Northern Railway tramway on the Hill of Howth carried on until 1959, by then owned by C.I.E WHO PROMPTLY CLOSED THE SYSTEM under the management of Todd Andrews!!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Posting on behalf of Enviro.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Dalkey Tramyard.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

The last Tram, back to Blackrock Depot, heavily vandalised by souvenir hunters. 1949.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Strum,

SOUND BUACHAILL.... some to follow soon

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey, some bugger has had the gates away !!!!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Here's an old one I found. Looks like bottom of Dawson St / Nassau St.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:37 pm

NOTICE THE POLICEMANS HELMET, FROM THE OLD D.M.P DAYS..
I can actually remember Jazzer Kelly on point duty on Marine Rd as a small boy with a hat like that.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Look at yer man pulling out on the Bicycle! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:10 pm

The Dalkey tram brings back sad memories to my family not that I could remember but on the day I was born my three year old brother was standing out side our house on Lower Georges St waiting for my sister to get her coat to bring him to Howgegos for sweets when he deceided to run accross the road in front of the Dalkey driven by a Mr Doran and was dragged from our house to York Road they had to lift the floorboards of the tram to get him out.
By sheer coincidence in the 1970s I use to drive girls to work in Bradmola in Blackrock and one of the older woman on the bus who was from the Farm said in conversation one day that she was on her bike coming down York Road and when she turned the corner she saw a tram stopped and they were lifting a small child from the tram she nearly fainted when I said that was my brother.
small world.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Harjoe,

Very sad indeed, very sad. My great aunty Polly Byrne who spent most of her life looking after the old and then the Our Lady of Victories churches in Sallynoggin. She was run over by a tram as a young girl and it resulted in a serious leg injury which gage her a severe limp, unable to bend it..She lived to a ripe old age and some of you may remember up to the 1980s, she lived all her life inb 7 Longford Viilas next to my Nan's house. My great uncle Billy Bright was a tram conductor out of Blackrock shed..
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Thomastown » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Enviro500 wrote:Harjoe,

Very sad indeed, very sad. My great aunty Polly Byrne who spent most of her life looking after the old and then the Our Lady of Victories churches in Sallynoggin. She was run over by a tram as a young girl and it resulted in a serious leg injury which gage her a severe limp, unable to bend it..She lived to a ripe old age and some of you may remember up to the 1980s, she lived all her life inb 7 Longford Viilas next to my Nan's house. My great uncle Billy Bright was a tram conductor out of Blackrock shed..

Who would have thought such sadness could be attached ti the trams.But on a lighter note here is a happier story.

Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Very tragic that Harjoe. :-|

Aha! The Sandycove bomb again. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm

sad story that Harjoe -
remember the story from years ago -but no name.

yes enviro-polly was a great lady -as you said she looked after both churches in sallynoggin -and she was also a great neighbour ----

nice piece of info there Thomastown -
now we'll have list of names totaling hundreds who were on the Dalkey tram :D :D :D
grammer

Postby farmboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Great pictures of the trams lads. :cool:
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am

Harjoe wrote:The Dalkey tram brings back sad memories to my family not that I could remember but on the day I was born my three year old brother was standing out side our house on Lower Georges St waiting for my sister to get her coat to bring him to Howgegos for sweets when he deceided to run accross the road in front of the Dalkey driven by a Mr Doran and was dragged from our house to York Road they had to lift the floorboards of the tram to get him out.
By sheer coincidence in the 1970s I use to drive girls to work in Bradmola in Blackrock and one of the older woman on the bus who was from the Farm said in conversation one day that she was on her bike coming down York Road and when she turned the corner she saw a tram stopped and they were lifting a small child from the tram she nearly fainted when I said that was my brother.
small world.

OMG that is so sad Harjoe what a thing to happen, :-(
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby spudseamus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:18 am

Sad indeed :-(
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Dalkey Tram

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Harjoe
There was another accident on Lower Geroges St. once. A teenager named Reid who lived beside St Michaels hospital opposite where Dunphys pub is. He fell beside a tram and his leg was run over at above the ankle. My brother in law who had witnessed the accident picked up the severed foot from the gutter. The lad Reid was rushed in to St Michaels for treatment .
Chiropodist

Dalkey Tram

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm

When I left D/L in the 1940s those old open deck trams had been replaced with the modern all chrome and glass types. It was onl in Dublin you saw the old types and only the No 7 Dublin to D/L now and then.
Chiropodist

Re: Dalkey Tram

Postby Thomastown » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Chiropodist wrote:When I left D/L in the 1940s those old open deck trams had been replaced with the modern all chrome and glass types. It was onl in Dublin you saw the old types and only the No 7 Dublin to D/L now and then.

Not sure but I think the No7 Terminus was down Marine Road.Was there a No 6 tram?
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Dalkey Tram

Postby Chiropodist » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Thomastown
The D/l terninus of he No 7 tram was at the bottom of Marine Road oposite the Town Hall. We used to play on the tracks there rolling tennis balls along the tracks.There was also a small cabbies shelter built in to the wall of the Pavilion. All the No 7 trams were old fashioned open deckers
Chiropodist

Postby Strum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:30 pm

There's another one.

Strum
Administrator

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE