Swastika Laundry

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Swastika Laundry

Postby Sinead » Sun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

One of these vans used to call to our house to collect the laundry, I can see the driver in my mind but just cannot remember his name. You had to have your number on every item you gave out - our number was C1299.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Thomastown » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Sinead wrote:One of these vans used to call to our house to collect the laundry, I can see the driver in my mind but just cannot remember his name. You had to have your number on every item you gave out - our number was C1299.
Slan
Sinead

Well done Sinead. We used to bring our laundry to Imco in Dun Laoghaire. The Eiderdown was an FCA overcoat .My mother used to say dont pull the sleeves off that eiderdown.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Thomastown wrote:My mother used to say dont pull the sleeves off that eiderdown.

Ahahahaha! :D :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby gorey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Chiropodist wrote:I worked as a messenger boy for the Swastika Laundry which also incorporated Bells the dry cleaners. This shop is not like the one I worked at because the window is not wide enough to start with though the shop did in fact face the old courthouse. MissBrowell and Miss Kavanagh were the manageress and assistant , Miss Browell looked after the Bells material and miss Kavanagh the Swastika laundry washing. We had a horse drawn van call to pick up and deliver the finished items. It was based at Ballsbridge of course.

Hi Chiropodist
Just re-reading the posts and I also worked in Swastika in Ballsbridge around l965. I worked in the general office
My Aunt Lillie worked in Bells in D/L as I said but my Auntie Annie Noctor worked in the "landry" in Ballsbridge before she got married.

Actually, I think virtually every one of my dads sisters worked there are some time or other.
gorey

Re:

Postby gorey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Strum wrote:I remember the tins of broken biscuits alright, with glass lids on top.
That was a sweet shop next door to McCullaghs.
For the life of me I can't remember the name. Had a massive Easter egg in the window every year.

It was called "The Punnet"
gorey

Postby Sinead » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:10 pm

The sweet shop next to McCullaghs was Cullen's. They would cover the window goods with clear yellow stuff. Your mouth would water just standing at the windows.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby Holla » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I was thinking that was the name , if i remember cullens was painted black on the exterior with what i thought was ten foot high counters as a kid and beautiful displays of sweets :P ,was the punet not a fruit and veg shop.
Holla

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Haha is there anything you DON'T know Sinead? :D
Sorry Gorey but yes I remember it as Cullens, but I vaguely remember a Shop named the Punnet also. :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Strum, having been born and reared in Dun Laoghaire, in a time of great freedom for kids, I remember a fair bit of the town. The Punnet is a green grocery in Glasthule. Many years ago there was a shop in Dun Laoghaire almost opposite Sussex Street, I think it might have been called The Punnet.
Cullen's shop may well have been part of Lynch & O'Briens at one time.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby grammer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 am

:D :D :D :D
we should start a new thread -ask Sinead --- :D :D
your a mine of info Sinead -keep up the good work -
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby gorey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:10 am

Apologies - the Punnet was in Glasthule
Cullen was correct, but I have a feeling it had another name as well, ie Cullens were the owners but it was known as "the ...."
Must ask one of me aunties
gorey

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Would it have been called "The Gem" at some stage or is that my imagination?
Thanks for the info Sinead. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:23 pm

The Gem was a small sweet shop opp walters pub near mc Goverens fruit and veg near to cullens you had a small shop called the cigar box is that the name your thinking of :?:
Holla

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Aha Holla that's where it was. My favoirite Shop growing up was beside it. Greys I think, the Model shop. Cheers. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Gang,

We had the Swastika deliver and collect from us.. I remember the driver with great fondness, A little foreign man who christian name began with 'A' and he had a tight cropped moustache , Hair combed gently forward.....Don't know whatever happened to him !!!!!!.

My Ma loved his very guttral Accent, "Grossen danke Frau O'Connor" as he drove off into the early evening sun !!!!!

ENVIRO500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

Gott in Himmel! enviro
I wonder was it ????
ahhhh no it could'nt have been ???????
I wonder was it him??????????

was it Anton Humpendinker?????himself
I heard he walked with a bit of a lisp and pasted his hair down with castor oil .
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm

On second thoughts enviro -
I think it was Adolph Von Furstenburgh himself! :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

The Cigar Box was next door to the Ulster Bank on the corner of Marine Road and was next to McNamara,s Chemist following that was Bolands Bakery with Liptons and Pay& Take and Roman Cafe along the same side as Downeys Pub
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 pm

The Cigar Box (owned by Marmions) was also on the block with Lynch & O'Briens, Barney Maguires Shoe Shop, Cullens, McCulloughs, Findlaters etc.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby Holla » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Sinead wrote:Strum, having been born and reared in Dun Laoghaire, in a time of great freedom for kids, I remember a fair bit of the town. The Punnet is a green grocery in Glasthule. Many years ago there was a shop in Dun Laoghaire almost opposite Sussex Street, I think it might have been called The Punnet.
Cullen's shop may well have been part of Lynch & O'Briens at one time.

Slan
Sinead

was this fruit and veg shop called harvest or something harvest and if its the place iam thinking of it had a barber at the rear t :?:
Holla

Postby Thomastown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dont know if the Swastika shop sign over the door is still there.
If it is they should put it in a museum.
TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Question for Keeper

Hi Keeper

I was on the Seafront one morning when I saw a German Plane flying over ,I think it was a world War 2 Junkers it had all the Luftwaffe markings and I think a Swastika on the tail. By the time I got my camera it was only a dot in the Sky. I found out later that RTE had made a series about German Spies in Ireland and the name of the Series was "Caught in a free State"

Do you know anything about the Series or where I could source it?

TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I had a good look yesterday TT. I used to be a sign-writer and I reckon yes it probably is still there under the newer sign.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Hello Thomastown !! That series was probably an outside production, RTE don't make many, if any, in house dramas or series anymore, they are all mostly outsourced to independent production companies, that said you should be able to source the series, try rte.ie and look up their online shop, I took early retirement from RTE over 2 years ago, but if you have no success I will certainly make contact with whoever was the commissioning editor for the series for you.
keeper

Postby Thomastown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

keeper wrote:Hello Thomastown !! That series was probably an outside production, RTE don't make many, if any, in house dramas or series anymore, they are all mostly outsourced to independent production companies, that said you should be able to source the series, try rte.ie and look up their online shop, I took early retirement from RTE over 2 years ago, but if you have no success I will certainly make contact with whoever was the commissioning editor for the series for you.

Thanks for that Keeper, got a loan of the video "Caught in a free state" will copy it to DVD.
Thanks again.

TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE