Swastika Laundry

The Town and its People past and present...

Swastika Laundry

Postby Thomastown » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:58 pm

As far as I remember this shop was facing the old courthouse.
Anyone remember the Swastika Laundry Vans?
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 pm

That is an amazing photo Thomastown. The Swastika Laundry was mentioned here before and a photo was posted of one of their vans as far as I can remember. I think it was Enviros handy work, hopefully he will see your post.
I know Snowy scanned some pages from a street directory some time ago but I can't recall the Swastika being mentioned and I am unable to find the post at the moment. Opposite the Court, gawd, can't picture it at all. Moore & Stokers at the lane and Lees on the other corner with the Monument Creamery in between is all that comes to mind.
jordo

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Seen on film set about Nazi agents in Ireland.

Possibly a Johnston Mooney & OBrien preserved van repainted for the film

For Cable T.V
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby jordo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Nice one Enviro. Was it you who posted that the laundry was up near Lees?
jordo

Postby Harjoe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Yes the laundry was between Lees and MAYs shop on the corner of Corrig Avenue
Imco cleaners was the 2nd shop after Clarinda Park on Upper Geprges street.
I thought the Vans were much bigger than the one in that photo
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Jordo,
Not the shop picture though I remember the place well...
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Guys just had a look at photo of Swastika shop and your right it was facing the old court house just to the right of the lane beside Lees where a great friend of mine Paddy Clarke drove the van and next door to the Monument Creamies where they used to sell butter by the pound and dig a lump out of a huge mound of butter and bash it with paddles until it was the right shape .
I can remember standing outside the shop one saturday evening and watching Paul Singer being arested in the great Shanahans Stamp Auction Fraud.
That night the B B C News had footage of the arrest and at the time there was only one T V channel B B C and what a thrill to see my town on B B C News trying to think of what year must have been 1958 or 59 because I was playing for Pearse Rovers u 16 at the time and Murty Quinn later of the Miami Showband was working in Shanahans at the time and he was playing for Pearse under 18 I recall him tell us about the great party they had in Shanahans which was on the corner of Corrig Avenue
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:25 pm

great photo -- :cool: :cool:
Thomastown-----

-------Harjoe -shanahans stamps is another story in itself
who remembers ??????
grammer

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Harjoe wrote:Yes the laundry was between Lees and MAYs shop on the corner of Corrig Avenue

Patrick Street surely? Sorry I'm confused here. Was Mc Donalds the location of LEES?

And May's shop was on the corner of Patrick ST. Had a Mozaic pillar, still there.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Harjoe, That's amazing I saw that too, Paul Singer (Austrian guy) and porr old man Shanahan being led ut of court into a proper Black Maria, the only such actual description of a vehicle. in all my sixty years. It was an American van as I remember, a Dodge, I eleven at the time.

The Swastika vans were by and larghe small Electric Smiths and Morrison vans and a few larger Diesel trucks were used for bulk runs.. Boands (dare I mention it), J.M & O'Brien had almost identical vans.

Incidently a neighbour of ours last a good deal of money in the Shanahan scam also.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Dunnes is where Lees was and there was 2 Mays one on the corner of Patrick's Street and the other was near Corric Avenue facing Dentist Galligans.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:42 pm

Aha Denis...the Mays shop threw me me altogether. Ta! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:31 pm

A photo of Dr Paul Singer. Were the auction rooms just to the right of the Adelphi between the two shops. And did Lees not have two shops a second one at the corner of Northumberland Avenue?

jordo

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:40 pm

Jordo,

Check your P.M.

ENVIRO
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 am

grammer

Re: Swastika Laundry

Postby spudseamus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 am

Thomastown wrote:Image

As far as I remember this shop was facing the old courthouse.
Anyone remember the Swastika Laundry Vans?

is this Swastika correct or is the one on the van? i always thought the Nazi one was the angled one ?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:26 pm

I see what you mean Spud. Never noticed the angled as opposed to straight.

You mentioned Galligan the Dentist there Denis. Man he was some butcher! :-|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:58 pm

He was nice enough Strum but I think he was more of an extractor than a repairer. Today young peoples teeth are more healthier due to better diet and perhaps fluoride.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm

DC wrote
He was nice enough Strum but I think he was more of an extractor than a repairer. Today young peoples teeth are more healthier due to better diet and perhaps fluoride.

you are right there DC-
al ltho'-its trendy to knock flouride

anyone remember going to the dentist in the clinic in patrick's st. when we in school-
we were like lambs to the slaughter :shock: :shock: :shock:
grammer

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah he was a nice enough man BUT Extractor is right! :shock:
That's true though, Dentists will do anything now to save teeth instead of pulling them out.

I'm not off topic here...remember Mengele! :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm

I worked as a messenger boy for the Swastika Laundry which also incorporated Bells the dry cleaners. This shop is not like the one I worked at because the window is not wide enough to start with though the shop did in fact face the old courthouse. MissBrowell and Miss Kavanagh were the manageress and assistant , Miss Browell looked after the Bells material and miss Kavanagh the Swastika laundry washing. We had a horse drawn van call to pick up and deliver the finished items. It was based at Ballsbridge of course.
Chiropodist

Spudseamus

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:13 pm

That photo is not a photo of the Swastika Laundry shop that I worked at. Ours had a large window which was cleaned by a window cleaning firm and it stood between Lees drapery shop on the corner of Northumberland Ave and Hamilton Longs chemists on the corner of Corrig Ave. I am talking about the years of about 1937 now so perhaps things had changed a bit from the then. I had changed from there to working for the Dartry Dye Works at Stoneview,next door to the Imco shop on the corner of Clarinda Park.
Chiropodist

Postby jordo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Chiro,
That's great info, imagine you having worked there :shock:

What year was that?

Did you see we got a name for that poor lady form the Buildings that used to wave the Union Jack, she was a Mrs Wheeler. Still trying to link her with someone who died in either of the Wars though.
jordo

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm

We had no motor vans operating in the DunLaoghaire area during my time working for the Swastika Laundry.There were two of us employed using bikes to collect and deliver the clothing and cleaning a lad named Jacky Murray and Myself. We both lived at Eden Villas.
Chiropodist

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE