CINEMAS IN DUN LAOGHAIRE

The Town and its People past and present...

Postby Strum » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Where could it have been situated?
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Dont know about Dalkey, I,ll ask the mother. She was telling me the other day that herself and the dad used go to the Astoria in Glasthule and often seen Jack Doyle the boxer and his beautiful wife Movita there. They lived somewhere on the way into Dalkey village.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 am

Boxcar,

Dunlaoghaire Borough Historical Society publish an Annual Magazie and over the years they have extensively covered all the cinemas, With picture, early days up to the 1980s, staff pictures, Pavilion Fire in 1915, and much other....Readers Bookshop in Dun Laoghaire , opposite Hicks Butchers is a supplier and back issues are available. The Annual is published about April/May...I hope that helps you in your endeavours

ENVIRO 500

oh, and welcome to the site.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:09 am

thanks enviro :D :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 am

Good one Enviro. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Cinemas in DunLaoghaire

Postby Chiropodist » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

I dont know if Dalkey had a cinema but Killiney boasted of having their very own Hollywood film star who was of course Tarzans mate, Maureen O Sullivan. I once delivered some cleaning to her former home in Killiney and her mother made me a cup of tea. ! Maureen married a US naval officer.
Chiropodist

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Maureen O'Sullivan, was raised in Sandycove too and she is Mia Farrow's Mother
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Maureen O'Sullivan was born in Boyle, Roscommon and her Father served in 1914-18 War as an officer in the Connaught Rangers, though she was raised in Dun Laoghaire ....
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Was her sister married to Stoker, of the jewellers Moore & Stokers opposite the old Garda Station?

Don't know where I' ve dragged that up from I think one of my aunts knew her.

Slan

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: CINEMAS IN DUN LAOGHAIRE

Postby *stargazer* » Thu May 20, 2010 9:11 am

I've enquired about this before, but has anyone a picture of the Adelphi Cinema?...lots of memories....

I remember being taken to the cinema over Burtons to see 'The Red Shoes'..I've never forgotten it and wanted to be a ballet dancer when I grew up. Oh well..ended up working at a desk all my life. My granddaughter falls around the place laughing when I tell her that, and we are dancing with the WII , but then, I wasn't the size I am now, nor as clumsy. :D :D :D
*stargazer*

Postby Strum » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Haha Starry. :D

No I think photos of the Adeplhi are very rare. Yep great memories there alright. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 pm

*stargazer* wrote:I've enquired about this before, but has anyone a picture of the Adelphi Cinema?...lots of memories....

I remember being taken to the cinema over Burtons to see 'The Red Shoes'..I've never forgotten it and wanted to be a ballet dancer when I grew up. Oh well..ended up working at a desk all my life. My granddaughter falls around the place laughing when I tell her that, and we are dancing with the WII , but then, I wasn't the size I am now, nor as clumsy. :D :D :D

There you go Stargazer I just found a trailer of that film on youtube but I can't post a link, thankfully I must have been very good when that was showing as I wasn't brought ;) :)

I have only seen one photo of the Adelphi and will look it up for you and post it here.

I was loaned a book, Dun Laoghaire its History, Scenery and Development written back in 1936 and it mentions that there were only two cinemas in the 'Borough' and both in Dun Laoghaire in reads; The Pavilion - a building of a temporary nature- on the sea front, accomodates 850, and the Picture House on Georges Street can seat 453. There would appear to be room for further enterprise in this direction, more especially when one bears in mind the lavish provision in Dublin and the inner suburbs.
jordo

Postby *stargazer* » Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks, Jordo...don't think 'The Red Shoes' would be a guy film, it's what they now call a 'chick flick', sad ending and I was inconsolable for days.....but I loved it.

I'd love a pic of the Adelphi, lots of great memories of every Sunday night with our gang, and going there with my Dad.

I got a book of the Dun Laoghaire Historical Borough Society just yesterday in Dubray's Bookshop 'The Story of the Pavilion, Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire' but I haven't had a chance to more than have a quick glance.

I went originally to buy a book Feargal Keane's 'Road of Bones'. We recently found out that an uncle of my hubby is in a nursing home, a man who had been in Burma during that awful war, and had some dreadul experiences there.
*stargazer*

Postby grammer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1515
just to refresh your memories gang :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:56 am

Good reading. I have one cousin left in Dalkey and she is nearly 90 so she should know where that cinema was. Must ask her. The cinema the Regent in Blackrock was a gas place. Of course, my ma knew the one with the tickets and when we were leaving a performance she gave us tickets for tomorrow's fillum. No such thing as paying if you knew the right person. For the afternoon shows it was boys on one side and girls on the other, but, as I went with my brother a special concession was made and I was allowed sit with the lads (never changed). Spent most of the time under my coat as we only seemed to go to scary ones.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby enby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I seem to remember being told that there once was a cinema over Hick's in Dalkey. It subsequently became a snooker/billiards club.
enby

Postby jwdalk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I think I read somewhere that the Dalkey cinema was behind a house on convent road. I think that I saw it in one of the two Dalkey books by Frank Mullen. I'll try and dig it out tonight.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby jwdalk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Found it! Accordingly to an article of Dalkey: An Anthology, Volume 2 Dalkey Cinema was on a patch of land beside 37 and 37A Convent Road and running parallel to the back gardens of nos.43 & 44 , approximately where the back car park to the Club is now. Nos. 37 & 37A and the cinema were owned by a builder called John Kavanagh. It held about a hundred people and was open three nights a week. There's no mention of when it opened or closed, but one local resident remembered it being there in 1928 and it was named on a 1922 official list of cinemas. It was also mentioned in Thoms Directories of the time.
So there yiz are!! :D :D :D
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 am

Great info JW. John Kavanagh was listed as the Manager in 1922...that list that Grammer put up in 2010. Must snoop at the old maps.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby enby » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 am

Yep checked with my parents last night and it was on Convent Rd.

I was half right, there was indeed a billiards club over the shops at or beside Hicks on Castle St.
enby

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

enby wrote:Yep checked with my parents last night

Enby,

That's me too. I read something here then I am off like a greyhound asking any old chaw I know "where was x in DunLaoghaire"...they are looking at me in amazement! "why do you ask" and then when I go into explaining about Dunlaoghairecounty...they don't believe me that there is such a good site as this...it gets us all thinking, talking, asking,quesioning...more education than the Dominican gave us!! ooops I'm off topic again.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 pm

The Adelphi cinema closed many years ago.... but what happened to it? It did not move very far. Much of it was used as infill behind the National Yacht Club. Another piece of interesting but useless information
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks Gulliver ! Wonder what happened to the back row seats, the two against the wall dontknow That's where I was when they stopped the film, turned on the lights and announced Jack Kennedy had died :cry: They wouldn't give us our money back either :roll:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 pm

I had an interesting email today if anybody would like to help this girl. I think it's a great project and you'll get some lunch and travel expenses just to tell your old personal stories, and maybe be immortalised in the Theatre. ;)

Strum

I hope this finds you well. My name is Kate Heffernan, I am a playwright
and designer based in Dublin. I am currently working on a research project
for the Pavilion Theatre, researching the history of the theatre / cinema
right up through the decades, and this will result in a permanent exhibit
upstairs in the theatre. Part of this is the official history, but a bigger
part of my interest has been in gathering stories and memories from people
who remember the many different heydays of the Pav!

The librarian of local studies at the new Lexicon Library sent me a link to
the Dun Laoghaire County. And I came across some of the brilliant stories
you have shared on here about your memories of Pav – of out the films after
seeing them in the grounds of the Pav.

I was wondering if you would give me permission to use some of these
memories as part of the exhibition? It would add a real texture and flavour
to the history that is missing in the official history books!

And if so, I would also really like to include photos of current and former
audience members alongside these stories. In your case this might be taking
a photo of you in the place where those games used to be played – to show
the contrast in how the place now looks.

Would you be up for this I wonder? I’d love to have you involved! I’m
trying to organise taking these photos next week on Monday 27th and Tuesday
28th June. If you were able to make it, we would be happy to cover any
expenses for you to get to the theatre and will be organising some lunch.

What do you say?

My email address is: kate(AT)kateheffernan(DOT)ie and my phone number is 0 eight 7 7 five 9 2 zero seven 1.

Thanks so much for your time

Kate.

------------------

Hi Kate. Interesting project. Tell you what I’ll do. I’ll post your email on the site page changing your mobile number and email to put off the spam bots if that’s ok with you. There are a few local members who I'm sure would be interested in your project and may to turn up to share their stories.
Unfortunately none of us on the site have many old images and any you do find through search engines are in the public domain anyway but I would recommend you also contact Dave Keegan Photography on FB who has the best collection of before / after photos I have yet seen, well worth a look and I’ve no doubt Dave would be interested too if he’s not too busy, (playing in a couple of bands)
Another unfortunate aspect is that where we used to play is all built over with the apartment block and shops on Marine Road. When we were kids there was a woods there from the Theatre up to nearly where Easons is now, and no matter what played in the cinema we would act it out in the woods afterwards, so getting a before / after photo there would be impossible.

I hope any of this helps and I’ll let you know what feedback I get from the site, and anything I can help you with please let me know.
Cheers, etc

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks Strum.
I hear what you are saying about the images. I've run in to this time and time again, images are thin on the ground. It's changed the focus of the project to stories rather than images, and I'll be designing up replicas of the old signage and logos etc. But the best bits are the stories people have shared, both to me personally and the ones I've spotted on the DL county forum, so it's just about prsenting them in the best way possible. I also know what you mean about how the site has changed, but I am thinking I could be creative in this regard. If there were some people who were happy to come down next week, it would be brilliant to add their voices to the project.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kate
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sputnik » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 am

Great post, Strum.
I have emailed a friend of mine. She and her sisters worked in the Pav all through their teenage years. I'm sure they have some stories.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Next

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE