Know yer town do ye?

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Know yer town do ye?

Postby Toss » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Sinead wrote:jdwalk, thanks for that. Regrettably I won't be able to go 'cause the son will have my car, he is on
shift work.

Stabbings, fighting etc. it is not only males are involved in this awful behaviour, females are at it as well and they
can be worse! I have witnessed the awful behaviour of Dun Laoghaire on a beautiful summer evening in Sussex Street -
frightening, I think I posted about it at the time.
I think in general the Gardaí do a good job but there are not enough courts/judges/prison places/community orders to deal with things in a timely manner.
Felons are brought to court, they get remanded on bail, often at variance with the request of Garda, their attitude is - rub the hands, I have 4/6 weeks to rob or whatever before I hit court and get off.
I have no instant solution but things do need to change, you will always hear 'when I was young this never happened' well that is because in most cases we had nothing to rob, it was big houses, shops and the like were the victims. Now we all have saleable items so others want them.

Sinéad

I remember your post well Sinead .... mainly because it reminded me of an attack by a girl on one of her school mates on the school bus a few years ago. The girl attacked had part of her ear biten off and as usual it was yesterdays news before the print was wet. I think people have got so caught up in their own world that they are not seeing whats going on around them ...... how many knew of this http://www.herald.ie/news/terrified-shoppers-attacked-as-250-gang-rivals-battle-in-facebookstaged-street-riot-35342728.html ?.

We have a godless generation coming through, they fear nothing and why should they as far too many from this generation has endulged them and allowed them a free run without limits. This is what happens when the state fails to function in a definitive manner, when nobody takes responsibility and parents are not challenged if their offspring are a menace to society and themselves. It starts in schools where the tail is wagging the dog, teachers are no longer able to challenge bad behaviour and the system slowly breaks down. The Courts are full of cases delayed by the a system that suits the offender and all those who work in that system ...... there is no fear out there, you can get 3 years and be out in six months. The result is that life is becoming very cheap.

I am reminded of the old wild west movies, where that bad gangs came into town and ran riot ..... all because they knew they could dontknow with all the CCTV / Security etc etc how many of the 250 thugs running amok in town will ever face any sort of sanction ? none
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:52 pm

At the time of writing above, I was unaware a 17 yr old boy was stabbed to death in Tallaght .... when will we ever learn.
Toss

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Toss wrote: how many knew of this http://www.herald.ie/news/terrified-sho ... 42728.html ?.

I was wondering why there was little about this in the media Toss.

"There was no reporting of the event on the national broadcaster, RTE or any other mainstream news source until today."

http://theliberal.ie/political-correctn ... phens-day/
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I feel that at times media are asked to say nothing because of 'copycat events'. Remember
the invasion of beaches a couple of years ago. Social Media can be bad.
No-one deserves a death such as given to that young boy in Tallaght.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Sinead wrote:I feel that at times media are asked to say nothing because of 'copycat events'. Remember

Sinéad

I suspect the story of the boy in Tallaght is just another where the public are not being given the full picture .... theres a lot more to it than a case of a 14 yr old attacking a 17 yr old.

So who makes such a decision ? who decides what is worthy of being released for public consumption and what needs hiding ?

are we not to be trusted with knowing who is controlling the media ?
Toss

Postby Micheál » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Toss wrote:
Sinead wrote:I feel that at times media are asked to say nothing because of 'copycat events'. Remember

Sinéad

I suspect the story of the boy in Tallaght is just another where the public are not being given the full picture .... theres a lot more to it than a case of a 14 yr old attacking a 17 yr old.

So who makes such a decision ? who decides what is worthy of being released for public consumption and what needs hiding ?

are we not to be trusted with knowing who is controlling the media ?

I'd be willing to bet the mainstream coverage is appropriately moderated by wise editorial counsel that is rightly sensitive to a tragic set of circumstances.

Watch this space.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Micheál, Together with a request from the Gardaí. The law permits the suppression of some items by special request
from relevant authorities in effort to prevent further public disorder.

Sinbad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Micheál wrote:I'd be willing to bet the mainstream coverage is appropriately moderated by wise editorial counsel that is rightly sensitive to a tragic set of circumstances.

Watch this space.

M.

So then the question is 'what is a tragic set of circumstances' ?

Is it when someone is killed by accident ? probably yes, but

Is it a situation where drug gangs are involved ? is it when murder is committed to bully or intimidate communities ? where do you draw the line .......

I would like to think wise editorial counsel is used by all media, but to think there is universal agreement on what to report on is not evident from the actual reporting from various media outlets. What is evident is when things like the reporting of the numbers on the Water Marches are spun as 10,000 when from the photographs it is obvious therse ten times that number out there ...... something is wrong.
Toss

Postby Strum » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Toss wrote: I would like to think wise editorial counsel is used by all media,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry for laughing Toss but hahaha can you just imagine that? No. :lol:

something is wrong.

Yes, it all stinks. :evil:
Strum
Administrator

Postby gingertom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Maybe contributors should read this web page to temper the debate.

http://www.iyjs.ie/en/IYJS/Pages/WP08000067
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:58 pm

gingertom wrote:Maybe contributors should read this web page to temper the debate.

http://www.iyjs.ie/en/IYJS/Pages/WP08000067

That is a fine admirable document, its prime directive is to protect the child .... but in doing so, has it opened the doors to children being manipulated by adults for criminal purposes knowing how children will be treated by the state ? (I am only asking the question and have no knowledge of such incidents btw).

Should gangs use minors to carry out certain tasks, what is the law regarding the 'fagans' of the modern world ? has anyone ever been charged with such activity ?
Toss

Postby gingertom » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:05 am

Toss, if it can be shown that the accused, when judged to be of sufficient maturity and over 14 years of age, that they were aware that when they knowingly committed a criminal act, that the act could be detailed as a wrongful act, they can be held to be accountable by an Irish court. It is also true that to keep them away from the "Fagins" that you mention, it is arguable and correct that adult prison is unsuitable for them too. Prison is for mature adult offenders. The case of Charles Manson does come to mind in terms of inducing others to perpetrate crime by proxy, for which he was imprisoned and this would be of influence in this jurisdiction.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:09 pm

wuu wuu Just read the National Library of Irelands FB and the famous Dún Laoghaire Micheál has won their Flickr competition..

Thank you to all who entered our Flickr caption competition to celebrate reaching 50 million views. The winner is Dún Laoghaire Micheál with his caption: "And finally, we reach the moment when we can reveal which of these two contestants is wearing her own hair".

Read the rest of the entries here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/31393238153
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Rocker wrote:wuu wuu Just read the National Library of Irelands FB and the famous Dún Laoghaire Micheál has won their Flickr competition..

Haha, way to go Michael. thumbright What's the prize?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Strum wrote:thumbright What's the prize?

A short back and side from Jim in Patrick St ..... and something for the weekend of course :lol:

Well done Michael ....... wuu
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Well done Micháel. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Micheál » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Ah yes, yet another national award for a bleary-eyed Dun Leery-ite.

I get to graze my sheep in Stephen Green (when Bono isn't taking up his option) and, since the competition was hosted on the NLOI's Flickr account "NLOI on the Commons", https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/ I get to use the informal title "Commoner"
or, in more formal situations, "a right commoner".

All that and a nice voucher for their Cafe too.

M.
The NLoI Flickr site is simply brilliant. A new historic picture gets posted every day to provoke discussion and benefit from some amazing research by the contributors.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Well done Michéal!
Sinead

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm

gingertom wrote: The case of Charles Manson does come to mind in terms of inducing others to perpetrate crime by proxy,

What about organised begging on our streets which involves women and very young Children who are induced or coerced into doing what they do by, what I would call Pimps. For instance I have seen this girl outside Penny's in D/L, can't be much older that 16 -17 if even that, claiming she's homeless but by the way she's dressed I just knew there's no way she's homeless.
I gave her a euro a couple of times and tried asking her some simple questions one day like, what age are you, where are you staying, etc and she would just shrug like she couldn't understand me, yeah right. So about three weeks ago I sat on one of the granite seats near her and pretended to read my book. Sure enough about 20 mins later a bloke came over to her and bent down as if to speak to her and she passed him any cash she had from an inside pocket. He then slithered away and hid in a doorway opposite Whisky Fair Pub keeping an eye on her.
Question is how do even report this and to whom? Gardai? HSE? Are they going to do anything about it? I doubt that very much so I have said nothing to either. Is that a defeatist attitude or am I just another individual who thinks what's the point, because that's the direction this lawless society is going. If the Gardai can't be bothered with the Addicts screaming around the town and the HSE can't be bothered going near them either for child abuse (stuffing them with fries nuggets and coke from McDeath's everyday), are they going to be the slightest bit bothered about the begging scenario?
Point is that these criminal gangs from abroad are exploiting these kids to go out and beg all day and they amass a tidy sum too. Did you see the documentary about the begging scams on our streets?
So these guys like the creep in the doorway will never be prosecuted for anything, because begging is not a crime anyway but what about that child that's being used for their gain? Would the Gardai or HSE follow up on a complaint?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 am

Gosh Strum, when you print it out like that the story is chilling. It has been going on for years with a certain group of non Irish. We used to phone the police about it but if I remember rightly someone won a case in court and begging is not a crime any more! so it is very difficult to prove the exploitation. With the pimp hanging around she is very vulnerable as is anyone who might intervene.

Every time I go to Lidl on Pottery Road there are different non Irish begging at the door beside where the people get their trollies and loads of people give them the Euro when they put back the trollies. Just by chance one day before Christmas I was waiting in the car park for someone and witnessed the "beggar" take off the blanket, . He was very well dressed underneath he then proceeded to retrieve his back pack, put the blanket inside, took out his warm scarf and hat and sauntered over to his friend and off the went laughing and smiling. I'd say you could make twenty Euro an hour there if not more.Why Lidl do nothing about this on their property I don't know!!I know there are tough, hopeless cases but, there are a lot of chancers too.

As with all the anti social activities we have let them get out of hand. No one is responsible for anything.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 am

Rocker wrote: No one is responsible for anything.

Well you know Rocker, yes WE are, the People have copped on and I dearly hope we are bigger than this. I will be heading into town on the 21st to witness the turnout and be among the People.
I posted on farcebuke that I have noticed a lack of bombings and destruction in the middle east since the orange headed lad was elected and I guess If the Hill had been elected that would have continued as normal.
Interesting year ahead. icon_scratch
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 am

I see here in Australia the Government is cancelling visas and deporting the young gurriers back to where they came from. Four so far - keep up the good work! wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Toss » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am

bugrock wrote:I see here in Australia the Government is cancelling visas and deporting the young gurriers back to where they came from. Four so far - keep up the good work! wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu

Careful now Bugs, you could end up back here outside Lidl :lol:

Lets be honest here and admit that our lot are just as good as Johnny Foreigner at begging. We ignore the hiaces dropping off kids in town, we put cash in the paper cups and we are the ones feeding an industry. Call it Catholic guilt, call it whatever you want BUT when are people going to realise that throwing money at a problem is NOT a solution.

The quicker people realise that begging is a very rewarding industry the better ......... pointing the finger at the beggar on the street is simply not fair when you have CEOs earning hundreds of thousands in salaries under the guise of charities. Like it or not, the real charity workers are the people who actually physically do things to help those in need. Willie Bermingham must be turning in his grave at the wages paid in todays charity organisations, but lets not talk about that eh?.

Collecting money and fundraising for causes would not be necessary if those elected into positions of power were doing their job properly.
Toss

Postby jabra » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I don' t use Lidli on Pottery Rd since the one opened in the Noggin but every time I did use it I reported the beggar outside
and he would be told to go but he would be back or someone else would be back within a short time . One of the managers
told me he removed the same lad six times in the same day until he called the gardai who removed him for good that day but
he was back a few days later but I would keep reporting them and make it as difficult as possible for them. They arrive in our
country and within an hour they are begging on our streets.Does anyone remember the guy who used to sit in Dunlaoghaire
with no shoes and was just sitting there shivering until someone seen him hiding his addidas trainers in the grounds of the
Royal Marine Hotel. Drives me mad.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Lidl Pottery Road to-day, the beggar was moved on and the manager doused the area
with liquid!
Sinead

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE