Know yer town do ye?

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Know yer town do ye?

Postby Gerald » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Strum wrote:
I'm awarding the prize to Gerald.

Well done Ger. wuu What did you get? :D

A map.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 am

:lol: :lol: well done Gerald wuu personally I think they are just damp squibs babbby I thought it would be far more exciting BangHead
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 am

Gerald wrote: A map.

Nice one. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am

Strum wrote: Where near the Obelisk?

Under the seat in the alcove at the Base of the Obelisk - facing Sallynoggin/Leopardstown
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 am

I definitely have to get out and about on foot a lot more!. I don't know when I was last at the Obelisk or in that great park at Killiney. We do really take all the natural beauty that surrounds us in the Boro for granted. When we are on our holliers we stand in raptures looking at views which are not a patch on anything around here.

Think I will make my New Year's resolution early.....must get to see all the beauty spots around the Boro.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Harjoe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 pm

I know this subject is called know yer town but after today I can say I don't know the town, today was my first trip to the centre of the town in a long while and I am sorry to say I don't know it any longer because the shopping centre is a disgrace toilets are filthy the men's were untidy and the women's were blocked up according to my wife ,so many undesirables hanging around the church not caring who heard their vile shouts accross the road to their mates looking for CIGs/ money or whatever , so many shops closed in the centre and down along Georges Street where I was born made me very sad scry , never seen as many charity shops in one place before the only shops doing business were one pound shops the MIAMI and Hicks .
Where are all the street cleaners and Guards not one in the hours I was there what are they going to do with the Library :?: dontknow make a pound shop
The only redeeming feature was the seafront and the pier beautiful as usual in the sunshine as always ,the change between one end of Marine Road to the top is like going into a new world. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 pm

All too true Harjoe, the town has been systematically shut down and left devoid of any heart and soul. However rest assured that the burgermeisters (or should I say Boroughmeisters) are well looked after in their ivory tower despite their failure to get the basics right. Its a sad fact that main street Dun Laoghaire has been allowed to disintregate year after year without redress.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Micheál » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 am

Harjoe for Mayor!!!!
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:31 am

Harjoe it saddens me to read your post but, I know a little of how you feel.

Poor ole Dún Laoghaire has been dying for many a year. Fifty years ago when I was in school in the Dominican the town was a thriving place.Everything we needed was there. The shops, the cinema, the theatre,some great restaurants, decent well run pubs and plenty of chat on the streets and in the shops not to mention the marvellous hospital, schools, great library, park and seafront.

There has been no cohesive planning, no notion of having a streetscape. Any Tom, Dick and Harry has tried and failed to open small shops but, were they what the locals wanted? did anyone know ? did anyone care? It seems to me that the landlords of the premises just wanted the rents and no one at any Council level vetted what was opened.

Times have changed. The younger shopper now does most on line and is not interested in strolling around the town...that is just for us old fogies.
Allowing the drug treatment centre on Patricks Street with its ensuing characters really frightens me. On the DART I have heard them bragging and boasting about robberies. beatings. thefts. O.K we have our social problems in the town but, a lot of those on the methadone programme are not local and they hang around frightening the likes of me. I never go to Dún Laoghaire now as I am not prepared for the scene.

Maybe the various landlords of premises on Georges Street will get together and try to devise a plan or do they just want to sell off the premises to the higher bidder. I am sure some venture capital player is ready willing and able and a hundred or so blocks of flats could be built the entire lenght on the town and Lo and behold lots of problems would be solved ...not least the housing problem. They could also build over Georges St itself and reroute any traffic along the seafront...Sorted.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm not sticking up for landlords, naturally they have to be paid rent, but the thing I hear traders complain about most is CoCo RATES. They couldn't give a damn about what type of shops open as long as they get their RATES. The Club is hammered for annual RATES. Kennedy's shoes had two shops in the s/c but have merged into one because of RATES. There was a little barber shop at the side entrance to the s/c who could afford to pay rent and staff but had to close because he couldn't afford the RATES. They are just a few examples. As Toss said it's the lads in the ivory tower lining their pockets as usual.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Rocker wrote:Allowing the drug treatment centre on Patricks Street with its ensuing characters really frightens me. On the DART I have heard them bragging and boasting about robberies. beatings. thefts. O.K we have our social problems in the town but, a lot of those on the methadone programme are not local and they hang around frightening the likes of me. I never go to Dún Laoghaire now as I am not prepared for the scene..

I know what you mean Rocker, its a common feeling amongst most people who visit the town ..... but look beyond the obvious and you will see a different story.

The methadone clinic has been there for years and its an easy target to blame the clients ........ BUT remember those clients were not methadone addicts until they entered that clinic !!!! they were heroin users and what the state has done is put them on a MUCH more addictive substance...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/jan/10/why-methadone-drugs-dont-work

Basically its your typical banana republic scam, take people suffering with a drug problem and give them a non cure thats more addictive and one that makes them reliant on you as their supplier. Then have the chemists, pharmaceutical and medical professions buy into it as they get their slice of the cake .... a cake that lasts forever as opposed to a cure and no more business. The drug users did not choose Patrick Street nor did they choose methadone (it was the EHB), people need to look beyond the end user and try and find out what genius decided that putting drug addicts on an even more addictive drug was an answer. I would also hazard a guess that the majoroty of those addicts attending Patrick St Clinic are children and grandchildren of Dun Laoghaireites (families that were moved out of the town due to lack of housing). I am not trying to condone the drug addicts, but pointing out that theres two sides to every story and as usual, if you follow the money then you will see why certain decisions get made.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:48 pm

I suppose I never look at the back story.

In my previous existence I paid the rates for our companies countrywide premises and Dún Laoghaire were difficult to deal with and intransigent. They set the rate and that was that and they pursued non payment. While this is not a bad thing they were also unwilling to entertain any problems. A lot of our premises were in poor condition and not rented for the full commercial rent but the rates were struck as if the places were high street business.

It would take a major push to get the Councils to revalue properties. This is a big cash cow. I am not sure what is the policy nowadays on closed premises but in former times they used to pursue the new tenant for the outstanding rates.

Don't know much about the Methadone Programme or the effect on people but thirty years ago I used to meet junkies everyday outside the job and now I see them(the same men) older, but not wiser in Dún Laoghaire on Methadone. How they have lived this long astounds me. They are inner city lads. I know i have never stopped or spoken to them or asked how they got into the mess but that is just my fear of the problem. I am an ostrich with most difficult problems.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Rocker wrote: . . . . A lot of our premises were in poor condition and not rented for the full commercial rent but the rates were struck as if the places were high street business. . . .

Surely that's good Public Policy Rocker? It forces owners of under-utilised, run-down properties to get with the programme or get off the pot and let some other entrepreneur have a go.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Micheál wrote:This blew me away!

They even come in Green - but not in the Boro. This is just a spit away from the Spire. The lane is off Henry Street, opposite side entrance of GPO.

The implications being that this signage is not so unique to the Boro'. We just adopted ones in yellow.

I've had an interesting breakthrough in my quest to discover more about "my" Yellow (& Green) street signs. It seems I was mistaken in believing these were erected around the time of the Eucharistic Congress. They were in existence in Dublin City centre since at least 1928!

This image has just been dated as being taken in July 1928. If you zoom-in on the corner of Metropole Cinema you'll see a sign in this unique style for Princess Street.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000557545

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I've had an interesting breakthrough in my quest to discover more about "my" Yellow (& Green) street signs.

Well done Hawkeye. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Dear Posters:

What, if anything do you know about plans to build apartments on the vacant site in Bullock Harbour?
I was told of a public meeting but was not taking it in at the time.

Sinéad dontknow
Sinead

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:25 am

Found this Link about it Sinead.........What a monstrosity that would be :shock:

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/new-plans-for ... h-harbour/
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's no way that apts. will be built there-
I think someone is acting the maggot.
Where would you get insurance for starters --???????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:29 am

grammer wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's no way that apts. will be built there-
I think someone is acting the maggot.
Where would you get insurance for starters --???????

These are the original "Golden Circle". Google the two players! I wouldn't say they have ever heard NO.
They have some interest in the old baths site at Blackrock and that Grecian folly at the seashore that used to be part of Lord Cloncurrys Estate.

Private beaches will be the next!!! Who bought Homans White Cottage on the beach at Killiney ??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:09 am

Snowhite wrote:Found this Link about it Sinead.........What a monstrosity that would be :shock:
http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/new-plans-for ... h-harbour/

Dalkey .... where you can stab some half to death and its silence, but propose to build apartments and suddenly everyone is twitching (even as far away as California). Suit the people far better if those they voted into power sort out the law and order on the streets and the Garda station debacle before they bring in another influx of residents.... but hey, you gets what you vote for and I'm sure the bold Ossian will not be shy in siding with the majority (read down the responses) having stirred the pot in the first place (note that he never comes out and says hes against the proposal, he suggests options).

I have more sympathy for that poor woman who (after waiting 24 hrs) had to go out and clean the street outside her house as she told the Indo :

"The poor man nearly died. They couldn't move him for quite a while," .

"On St Stephen's morning they left me to clean up the blood and guts on the footpath.

"I live in a so-called nice area but I hear this going off four or five times a night every Friday and Saturday. "

Where were the Council ? have they no emergency response unit on call to deal with such tragic situations and clean up the mess ?
Toss

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 am

Toss,

I know I am going a bit off the topic but when you mention blood and guts ...I can't get over the amount of trails of blood around Dún Laoghaire. There must be beating and muggings at a great rate! One of the days between Christmas and the New Year I had to do a bit of biz in D/L and got the DART...blood trail between station and road crossing. Over to Meadows and Byrne a bit of blood along there but when I got as far as the Lexicon around the close ice rink and them up the steps to the higher level...yuck trails of blood everywhere. I continued up Haigue Tce to Georges St and more there....definitely no law and order. TG I hadnt seen any of the fracas but, can you imagine the amount of lads going home in bits!!

None of the shops or business premises think they have to clean the pavements outside their premises. The only one I ever see out with the buckets of hot water is O'Connor the Jeweller...keeping up the old D/L tradition of having your place spic and span.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Rocker wrote:Toss,

I know I am going a bit off the topic but when you mention blood and guts ...I can't get over the amount of trails of blood around Dún Laoghaire. There must be beating and muggings at a great rate! One of the days between Christmas and the New Year I had to do a bit of biz in D/L and got the DART...blood trail between station and road crossing. Over to Meadows and Byrne a bit of blood along there but when I got as far as the Lexicon around the close ice rink and them up the steps to the higher level...yuck trails of blood everywhere. I continued up Haigue Tce to Georges St and more there....definitely no law and order. TG I hadnt seen any of the fracas but, can you imagine the amount of lads going home in bits!!

None of the shops or business premises think they have to clean the pavements outside their premises. The only one I ever see out with the buckets of hot water is O'Connor the Jeweller...keeping up the old D/L tradition of having your place spic and span.

Totally agree Rocker ..... thats he way it is and it didnt happen overnight, yet the vast majority of people will not talk about it or challenge it. People have their heads in the sand as to whats going on out there. We know its not just a random house robbery anymore ..... its go into an estate and fill your hiace (12 cars were systematically broken into in one area over the xmas) and the response is almost one of 'oh thats bad luck old chap'. Its not bad luck, its more like a wild west movie where the baddies ride into town and help themselves... its open season. All of this, despite all the millions invested in CCTV, alarms, security etc etc etc ....... the Garda know whos at it, the victims know its just another statistic and the criminals regard it as highly rewarding work that feeds their thug lifestyle. All of this anti social behaviour feeds an industry and until enough people stand up and demand their elected representatives take action, nothing will change. So fair play to you Rocker, you are so right to highlight the blood on the streets issue ..... it matters and should not be overshadowed by some politician stirring up other less important issues.

Views 41973 at time of posting.
Toss

Postby jwdalk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Sinead wrote:Dear Posters:

What, if anything do you know about plans to build apartments on the vacant site in Bullock Harbour?
I was told of a public meeting but was not taking it in at the time.

Sinéad dontknow

Sinead, the public meeting is tomorrow, (Thursday) at 19.30 in Fitzpatricks Castle.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 pm

jdwalk, thanks for that. Regrettably I won't be able to go 'cause the son will have my car, he is on
shift work.

Stabbings, fighting etc. it is not only males are involved in this awful behaviour, females are at it as well and they
can be worse! I have witnessed the awful behaviour of Dun Laoghaire on a beautiful summer evening in Sussex Street -
frightening, I think I posted about it at the time.
I think in general the Gardaí do a good job but there are not enough courts/judges/prison places/community orders to deal with things in a timely manner.
Felons are brought to court, they get remanded on bail, often at variance with the request of Garda, their attitude is - rub the hands, I have 4/6 weeks to rob or whatever before I hit court and get off.
I have no instant solution but things do need to change, you will always hear 'when I was young this never happened' well that is because in most cases we had nothing to rob, it was big houses, shops and the like were the victims. Now we all have saleable items so others want them.

Sinéad
Sinead

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE