Know yer town do ye?

The Town and its People past and present...

Re: Know yer town do ye?

Postby skins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

jabra wrote:Sinead
I can't remember ever being in McKeown's
Shop just remember passing by and seeing the big
Brown and white dog and it's water dish

And just down the street from it was the Keen House, where I used to while away the time spent waiting for my mother by swinging out of a steel pole in the middle of the floor. Just think about it, I could have made a fortune as a pole dancer if I'd only known there was going to be a niche in the market!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Oh Skins, your posting name is very apt for such a profession!

In our house Mr. McKeown was always known as 'footy' he had a sister who sat in the
cash desk in the shop and another sister had a small hotel on Marine Road.

Do you recall the dried fish hanging either side of the entrance? McKeown's was
where the St. Vincent de Paul vouchers were filled.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah, "I cudda bin a contenda",Sinéad. Too late now though, me oul' leotard's gone all feckin' musty. I wasn't in McKeones very often but I remember old Leo and the dried ling alright. I tried to post a photo that appeared on Facebook a couple of years ago, showing the shop (partially), alongside the old Picture House, but I get a message telling me that the board has reached its attachment limit or something like that. Do you recall seeing a photo some time ago , showing Leo standing at the front door of the shop? I've had a look, but can't find anyfink. The one on Facebook was posted by a guy called Joe Fleming, in 2015 I think.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am

The Keen House,well it's a long time since I heard that name. Both your memories are so much better than mine, I can remember Mc Keown's and what they sold but I can't remember what the Keen House sold. Maybe the thought of Skins swinging out of a pole wearing a leotard was too much for me.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

The Keen House was a Ladies Outfitters! There was a chemist between it and McKeown's. At Christmas Keen House had Santa upstairs.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

A ladies outfitters,yeah it's coming back to me now. I'm raging that I never saw Skins pole dancing there,the mind boggles. :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Micheál wrote:
keeper wrote:Hiya all !!! no trains allowed !!! you must walk towards Dalkey starting off, did'nt hear anything against walking BACK towards Dalkey at some stage, I believe there must be a service tunnel for water mains, telecommunications etc somewhere along the line, also I think it maybe after Dalkey Station but before the Tunnel, surely yiz have heard of this before ? I heard the same debate in the 60s and it caused the same consternation !! it WAS solved, sorry my old brain is scrambled and can't remember the answer !!!

Re-posting this in the hope the brainpower of the group has developed since the original post. Recall the problem. Walk from steps of Dún Laoghaire Town Hall to front door of Dalkey Town hall without crossing over the railway. :roll: :roll: :roll:

So Michael are you going to tell us or keep us in suspense? :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

I never claimed to have "the" answer.

Personally speaking, I think Rocker (& HID) have nailed it. Head for City, use the Lansdowne Road underpass (beside the Dodder), cross the strand to Seapoint, head for Dalkey.

But there might well be another route. :roll:

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Micheál wrote: But there might well be another route. :roll: M.

Yes the route Rocker/HID mentioned is the most, if not the only feasible way to go about it, but Keeper mentioned that this came up in the 60's so in actuality you would have had to travel into Pearse St and cross under the bridge by way of the street. Weren't the subways installed for the DART? Anyway that's neither here nor there so to speak, just a longer journey.

Keeper also mentioned a service tunnel for water mains, telecommunications etc somewhere along the line???

Sorry to go about it, I like puzzles. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 am

Interesting idea to get the train to Landsdowne and under the railway, but you are not supposed to use a train or boat to solve the problem, you had to walk ! Walking to Killiney Dart station and under the car park bridge down to the beach, now you are Dalkey side, but not allowed use a boat around to Colimore. So now at low tide walk to White rock but now there is only one way to get back to Dalkey to complete the task and I don't know if it's possible, you have to try to get over to what used to be the Men's Bathing Place fadó and up the steps to the Vico road and down to the castle!! I know there are steps up from Whiterock but you cross the railway over the footbridge.
keeper

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

keeper wrote:Interesting idea to get the train to Landsdowne and under the railway, but you are not supposed to use a train or boat to solve the problem, you had to walk !

Ok then, walk into town. :mrgreen:

Walking to Killiney Dart station and under the car park bridge down to the beach, now you are Dalkey side,

That's impossible though because the stretch of Metals from Eden Rd is a dead end, you have to cross the line there. :?:
So if there's a tunnel it has to be in Glasthule or D/L surely?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Strum wrote:
Micheál wrote: But there might well be another route. :roll: M.

Yes the route Rocker/HID mentioned is the most, if not the only feasible way to go about it, but Keeper mentioned that this came up in the 60's so in actuality you would have had to travel into Pearse St and cross under the bridge by way of the street. Weren't the subways installed for the DART? Anyway that's neither here nor there so to speak, just a longer journey.

Keeper also mentioned a service tunnel for water mains, telecommunications etc somewhere along the line???

Sorry to go about it, I like puzzles. :D

The pedestrian walkway along the south bank of the Dodder dates from the time the railway was first built.
And yes, the puzzle asked how to WALK the route so no
- hopping on the Dart in either direction
- Climbing up rocks or cliffs

But if you accept that the puzzle and solution was set in the 60s, then I'm afraid the route from Seapoint to the start of the East Pier would have been trickier as you'd have to skirt around the entire length of the Irish Lights and Carlisle rail spurs. Is this even possible?
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

It could be a Culvert for one of the local Streams, one big enough to walk through?

Micheal wrote: The Monkstown Stream enters the sea further west on Salthill Beach

Could that be big enough?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

You could always walk as far as Woodbrook golf club where there is an underpass .... if you were mad enough :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/societies/project-management/level-crossing.pdf?ext=.pdf see p72 for pic
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Toss wrote:You could always walk as far as Woodbrook golf club where there is an underpass

But the problem is Toss you can't even get to Glenageary Station without crossing the line.

1. This stretch of metals from Eden Rd is a dead end so you have to cross the bridge here.

2. If you got through here maybe, but if my memory serves me right since my childhood wanderings this is an impassible swamp.

And anyway as Keeper said how can you get around Dalkey Sound on the way back?

My money is now on a Culvert for one of the Streams. :mrgreen:

Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Toss ! You don't have to go as far as Woodbrook ! You can go under the railway at Killiney Station on to the beach. I didn't mention you couldn't walk up rocks or cliffs !! No boats !!! Imagine you've walked inland via Sallynoggin to Ballybrack to Killiney beach and over to Whiterock, now, is it feasible to cross over to what was the men's bathing place and then up to Vico Road and down to the village, my own view is there's a culvert somewhere along the line before Dalkey and is it big enough to get through !!
keeper

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 pm

keeper wrote:Toss ! You don't have to go as far as Woodbrook ! !

Did you see my post Keeper? You can't get as far as Glenageary Station without crossing the line.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Strum wrote:the problem is Toss you can't even get to Glenageary Station without crossing the line.

A la Johnny Cash .... I walk the line :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Toss wrote: A la Johnny Cash .... I walk the line :lol:

:lol: I was waiting for that Toss. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 am

Is there any rule that says you can't walk on the line, without crossing over it?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:00 am

Strum ! The route I am talking about starts at town hall. Walk the bus route from Dún Laoghaire to Ballybrack, down Military Road down to Killiney station and cross under the bridge in the car park to the beach, at low tide you can walk to the Whiterock,, now climb or scramble over to the Men's Bathing at Vico, up the steps and turn right for the village, the railway is to left when it emerges through the tunnel. I didn't say you had to use the Metals exclusively. Think away from the railway till you find what might lead to crossing under the track. Is there a service tunnel I wonder that carries water, gas, electrical pipes and cables from one side to the other ??? There's a massive one under the Liffey at the East Link bridge to Ringsend side, very eerie place to go through !!!
keeper

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 am

keeper wrote:Walk the bus route from Dún Laoghaire to Ballybrack, down Military Road down to Killiney station and cross under the bridge in the car park to the beach...

Apologies Keeper I wasn't thinking that way atall atall. Some mission that. Do you fancy checking out your theory some day? :D

Yes I reckon there's gotta be a tunnel of sorts somewhere. I hope so, so we don't have to check out your theory some day. :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:52 am

No worries Strum :lol: knew you weren't thinking of that route ! When I was a youngster I actually used to fish along the rocks between the bathing place and Whiterock, so I know it can be done ! but now I wouldn't dream of trying :roll: :roll:
Yes hopefully there's a nice tunnel to go through :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Micheál » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Strum wrote:
Strum wrote:I think Mulgrave Terrace MAY be a yellow one?

Not a bad memory. I knew this because i always wanted to nick it. :D

Prounounced: ardawn mailcreeva. ;)

Sad to report, as of the last few days, this sign is no more. Replaced with an "official" street name plate in the modern style. I won't dignify it with a pic.

johndllle johndllle johndllle johndllle johndllle

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm

scry
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE