11-11-11

Re: 11-11-11

Postby gingertom » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Might I opine that the appropriate approach, to properly remember our valiant and courageous Irish ancestors, in donning any military uniform and in their acceptance arms, to effect national interests or protection, post political discord, and whether it be in the furtherance of a cause, for whatever reason, volunteered for a dance with mortality and we should value that beyond greatness.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm

When I was a child in Dun Laoghaire, not to-day or yesterday, my parents sold Poppies. At that time the emblems were made by former soldiers and this was their job, they could not get gainful employment! The Royal British Legion in Clarinda Park was the point of distribution for the emblem. This organisation also had a great Christmas Party for Children, tickets were sought after. Santa was there, we got a small parcel, were fed and got fruit and chocolate to take home.
I am not a lover of war as it bears no winners, however, because my husband was a war historian I have been in many cemeteries around the world, not just France and Belgium. Growing up my mother often spoke of a relative who died working on Death Railway, low and behold I found his grave quite by accident about 30 years ago.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:43 pm

We were much the same in Blackrock. There was an old soldiers home on Carysfort Avenue which looked after the disabled from the war. My granduncle was in it. We also went to the Leopardstown Hospital to visit some other relations and that was run by the British Legion and we got the poppies there just to donate to the hospital. We never wore the poppies as the whole Lillie/poppies idea was not talked about in the family. It was complex as we had Nationalists. Republicans, Royalists, Catholics, Protestants in our immediate family and some even branded us West Brits as we lived in a very interesting part of the Rock! I wish it had been possible to tell us children the immediate past history of the wars and civil war but, the whole matter was raw. It was only in the last few years that I learned about the various complexities of lots of families.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I remember going to the British Legions Christmas parties in Clarinda Park. I'm not sure if there was an official invitation but I was always made welcome.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Invites to the party was via a draw!
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Well the statue is due to go home at the end of the week but one or more of our very brave YOBOS decided to give it a coat of red paint during the night and to deface the description.
The best educated youth - my arse - Louts is what we have male and female.

I hope they are brought to a speedy justice. I for one would like to have a few minutes with him/her/them and see how they like red paint.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:38 pm

some pre-lout snaps

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Sinead wrote:Well the statue is due to go home at the end of the week but one or more of our very brave YOBOS decided to give it a coat of red paint during the night and to deface the description.
The best educated youth - my arse - Louts is what we have male and female.

I hope they are brought to a speedy justice. I for one would like to have a few minutes with him/her/them and see how they like red paint.

Sinéad

You can bet that every CCTV camera in the area was looking the other way and even if caught, the poor offeneder was abused and had his first drink / drug that night..... hence it was totally out of character your honour and I'm sure with the help of counselling, family supports, further education, restorative justice, community supports, home school liason officers, juvenile liason officers etc etc etc there is every chance this will maybe not happen again (offenders help keep people in jobs!).

I once caught a neighbours lad spraying a wall, he was about 14 at the time. I marched him to my shed, gave him a paintbrush with some white paint and made him paint over his artwork ..... I may of hinted that I would use him as the paintbrush :P anyway many years later, I met said artist and he reminded me of the event. He reckoned I stopped him from all sorts as he was terrified of me for years. There is NO fear in todays tearaways as nothin happens to them .... either Mummy or Daddy pay up to sort out the mess or the State steps in and empowers the offenders belief that they are untouchable and its all a laugh.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Toss, on this one there has to be consequences. Either official or unofficial. Whoever did this will not be able to
keep their mouth/s shut and there must be paint on them.
Like you I took on louts on many occasions, most of them turned out okay and did thank me. The ones with parents who
said 'no not mine, sure he/she is upstairs' went astray in the main.

Sinbad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Knowing that there are a lot of ignorant louts out there, surely this magnificent sculpture could have been policed for the short time it was going to be there. BangHead
Denis Cromie

Postby MickR » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:00 pm

I remember when England played Ireland at Croke Park for the first time, there was a protester outside with a placard saying something like "no to foreign sports" as he stood there in his Celtic soccer shirt. An IQ lower than room temperature. My Dad fought in the war in the African and Italian campaign, he lost a brother in Dunkirk and an uncle in Ypres in 1918. Lots of Dun Laoghaire men did the same. I had many a great night in the BL in Clarinda Park its long gone now. I've visited both graves in France and Belgium and am off to Ypres next weekend to see the last post at the Menin Gate and hopefully a few Belgium beers along the way.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:38 pm

MickR wrote:I remember when England played Ireland at Croke Park for the first time, there was a protester outside with a placard saying something like "no to foreign sports" as he stood there in his Celtic soccer shirt. An IQ lower than room temperature. My Dad fought in the war in the African and Italian campaign, he lost a brother in Dunkirk and an uncle in Ypres in 1918. Lots of Dun Laoghaire men did the same. I had many a great night in the BL in Clarinda Park its long gone now. I've visited both graves in France and Belgium and am off to Ypres next weekend to see the last post at the Menin Gate and hopefully a few Belgium beers along the way.

Good for you Mickr enjoy the weekend and the beers.
Denis Cromie

Postby keeper » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Enjoy your trip MickR! The last post at the Menin Gate is a beautiful sobering memory for me, very moving and a wonderful tribute by the locals to the memory of the fallen. Plenty of Belgian beer in Ypres !!!
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 am

MickR wrote:An IQ lower than room temperature.

wuu
That's a compliment .... most of these knuckleheads have no idea what they are talking about.

Enjoy your visit and your beers, don't be a stranger. :P
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm just thinking Mick r as I read this that we should have organised a trip to Ypres from Dún Laoghaire. I went in 2015. Snowy has been a few times and I'm sure loads of people in the Boro have been there too. When I started doing the family research many years ago I had no notion that anyone belong to me had been anywhere other than the Rock. I found a great granduncle who had been in India in 1895 in the Punjab and got a few medals for his work. Unfortunately he didn't get to WW1 as he deserted!! :lol: My paternal grandfather and his four brothers went to WW1, one fell in 1915 and four returned. My maternal grandfather had a dreadful war in France but came home and died in the early 1920's. When I started going through the Royal Dublin Fusiliers records I was shocked by the number of local lads who signed up and fought. I know times were very difficult in the early 1900's my gang were not long out of the workhouse and living in the poorest of the poorest mud huts in DúnLaoghaire. I read Gulliver's book and could place all my gang in those one room hovels. Oh if only dear grammer was still with us he would take out a violin and play me a sad tune!!! :D scry :D but, you know what I mean times were tough.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Toss wrote:I once caught a neighbours lad spraying a wall, he was about 14 at the time. I marched him to my shed, gave him a paintbrush with some white paint and made him paint over his artwork ..... I may of hinted that I would use him as the paintbrush :P anyway many years later, I met said artist and he reminded me of the event. He reckoned I stopped him from all sorts as he was terrified of me for years. There is NO fear in todays tearaways as nothin happens to them .... either Mummy or Daddy pay up to sort out the mess or the State steps in and empowers the offenders belief that they are untouchable and its all a laugh.

Jayz Toss you're in big trouble!

Interfering with a lad who was clearly performing a public duty for the tidy Towns committee. Or worse, you stifled his freedom of expression.
and it gets worse . . .

" . . .I once caught . . ."
theres a least 3 Tribunals waiting to interview you on this alone.

" . . I marched him to my shed . . . "
False imprisonment?
Was transport arranged?
Was the shed heated?
did it have Planning Permission?

" . .Gave him a paintbrush . ."
but no protective gear to guard his frigile skin and lungs

" . . made him paint . . "
Modern day slavery!
Was he consulted about the colour?

And I dont suppose you didnt even bother to offer meals, make a PRSI return, offer time off as per EU directives or give him the opportunity to effect a PRSA Pension.

" . .lad / him . . ." but your victim might have felt like a "her" and you have injured 'their' sense of identity.

and I suspect the wall in question was adjacent to a public road. If so, was proper provision made for protection from traffic? Was a Traffic Management Plan lodged with the Corpo?

Anyone know a good solicitor? :(
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Micheál

Enough of that namby pamby stuff. I am sure the 4 wise monkeys were in attendance when Toss took on the painter.

Great to see the big turn out for the Last Post for the Haunting Soldier, a brilliant sculptor. But for a chest infection I would have been there myself. Hope the 'dauber' got the true message of Ireland.
I encouraged my daughter-in-law to take the two younger grandsons to see him and advised her to take them up Grafton Street and let them have the effect of seeing it grow in stature as you approached the Green. The younger boy, 11, was very upset that anyone would attempt to damage such a monument. Hope the way I describe this makes sense.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:24 pm

MickR:

The Memin Gate is a very moving ceremony, you will need hankies. Hope you go to the Museum in Ypres.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Micheál wrote:
Toss wrote:I once caught a neighbours lad spraying a wall, he was about 14 at the time. I marched him to my shed, gave him a paintbrush with some white paint and made him paint over his artwork ..... I may of hinted that I would use him as the paintbrush :P anyway many years later, I met said artist and he reminded me of the event. He reckoned I stopped him from all sorts as he was terrified of me for years. There is NO fear in todays tearaways as nothin happens to them .... either Mummy or Daddy pay up to sort out the mess or the State steps in and empowers the offenders belief that they are untouchable and its all a laugh.

Jayz Toss you're in big trouble!

Interfering with a lad who was clearly performing a public duty for the tidy Towns committee. Or worse, you stifled his freedom of expression.
and it gets worse . . .

" . . .I once caught . . ."
theres a least 3 Tribunals waiting to interview you on this alone.

" . . I marched him to my shed . . . "
False imprisonment?
Was transport arranged?
Was the shed heated?
did it have Planning Permission?

" . .Gave him a paintbrush . ."
but no protective gear to guard his frigile skin and lungs

" . . made him paint . . "
Modern day slavery!
Was he consulted about the colour?

And I dont suppose you didnt even bother to offer meals, make a PRSI return, offer time off as per EU directives or give him the opportunity to effect a PRSA Pension.

" . .lad / him . . ." but your victim might have felt like a "her" and you have injured 'their' sense of identity.

and I suspect the wall in question was adjacent to a public road. If so, was proper provision made for protection from traffic? Was a Traffic Management Plan lodged with the Corpo?

Anyone know a good solicitor? :(

wuu wuu :lol: :lol: :lol: guilty as charged and I would like a degree in Computer Science as part of my rehabilitation, so I can help Strum :P
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am

Sinead wrote:Micheál

Enough of that namby pamby stuff. I am sure the 4 wise monkeys were in attendance when Toss took on the painter.

Great to see the big turn out for the Last Post for the Haunting Soldier, a brilliant sculptor. But for a chest infection I would have been there myself. Hope the 'dauber' got the true message of Ireland.
I encouraged my daughter-in-law to take the two younger grandsons to see him and advised her to take them up Grafton Street and let them have the effect of seeing it grow in stature as you approached the Green. The younger boy, 11, was very upset that anyone would attempt to damage such a monument. Hope the way I describe this makes sense.

Sinéad

I attended the event and it was great to see such a good turnout I did notice most attendees were of the fifty plus age bracket al the younger generation were preoccupied on Grafton street with the week long black Friday sales.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous

Return to HISTORY.