Postby Micheál » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am

With the upcoming 100 Anniversary in mind, I thought it would be appropriate to have a thread focussed on how the Rebellion played out locally, (or by locals elsewhere.)

Incidentally, by way of offering a wider context, this article grabbed my attention as it purports to deal with a question I always had in my mind but never had adequately explained. Frustratingly, while the article gives a comprehensive treatment of the context, it too stops short of answering the question -

"Why did the Authorities tolerate so many armed civilian groups and activites in the run- up to the Rising?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/easter-rising/assembling-armies-and-acquiring-arms-the-building-up-of-the-powder-keg-34143639.html
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Re: 1916

Postby Snowhite » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Went into the RDS last night there was a Talk been given
by Dr Helene O’Keeffe based on a collection of oral history recordings taken by her father Maurice O’Keeffe,for the book "To Speak of Easter Week" the man behind the Irish Life and Lore project. Dr Helene O’Keeffe teaches history in St Angela’s College, Cork city, have to say didn't really know what to expect but it was brilliant, they played some of the recordings, which were amazing to listen to, we had to leave just before it ended, Maurice O'Keeffe did say all the recordings will be in all Library's by next year for the use of the puplic.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2390223
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Sinead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:46 pm

When Jamie publishes his book we may get some answers. He
has been collaborating with a friend for a few years compiling
information about events in the Dun Laoghaire area.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Went into Dublin this morning ( a tad hungover), to do the Sinn Fein 1916 History Walk, a young chap called Liam was our Guide, it was brilliant really enjoyed it so much, if anyone is interested

Rebel Walking Tour of Dublin.......10 euro.

Follow in the footsteps of the Rebel leaders Michael Collins, James Connolly and Pádraig Pearse.

Hear the story of Ireland's fight for freedom as told by Irish Republicans.

You will hear the story of the 1916 rising. It tells how the forces of the Irish Citizen Army and the Irish Volunteers came together as the I R A and how they took on the might of the British Empire. Learn how the rising came about and what happened before and after it.

Visit the places where Ireland’s history unfolded and in the words of Yeats “a terrible beauty was born”.

Small Group Walking Tours with Dublin’s best Guides

TOUR TIMES:

Tours run at the following times:

Mon - Sat: 11.30am

MEETING POINT

THE SINN FÉIN BOOKSHOP 58 Parnell Square, Dublin 1

Duration of the Tour: About one and a half hours at an easy going pace
Snowhite

Postby Micheál » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:23 pm

Might be something of interest to members here - not just 1916
On-line Lecture Series by TCD.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL55XqDjybyL_HtaZQSfy0ljqYL3iR7YGS
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Fabulous. Thank You Micheál. My cold winter nights sorted.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby bugrock » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:17 pm

And how our great patriots fought and died to sell chocolate BangHead BangHead BangHead BangHead
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby keeper » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Yes Bugs, what a sad little country we've become, greed greed and more greed and exploited at every turn by "OUR OWN" countrymen as well as the big corporations. BangHead BangHead
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:43 am

Didn't see any of the Chocolate in Heaton's Carrickmines today it's either sold out or it's been taken off the shelves, hope it's the latter. :evil:
Snowhite

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Could you imagine the uproar if someone started selling "Herald of Free Enterprise" or "RMS Leinster" chocolate or other merchantise?

I'm just back from Belfast where they have no such reservations.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Snowhite

Postby grammer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:53 am

Even if the work starts tomorrow Snowy ( and it wont :| )
It's going to be a building site for the next year at least.
Might be ready for 2116. BangHead BangHead
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:03 pm

New series starts on RTE tomorrow night

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office ... -home-cou/
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Snowhite » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 am

Really looking forward to that Grammer,should be interesting............ RTE also have this coming up but no dates at the moment.......... Rebellion is a five-part serial drama set over three weeks of Easter 1916 which charts the violent birth of modern Ireland and stars Charlie Murphy, Brian Gleeson, Ruth Bradley, Barry Ward and Sarah Greene. Narrated by Liam Neeson, 1916 is a three-part landmark documentary developed by the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies at the University of Notre Dame which examines the Easter Rising and the subsequent events that led to the creation of an independent Irish state and, indirectly, the breakup of the British Empire.
Snowhite

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you Snowy for the copy of the Centenary Programme 1916-2016 for the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown area.
Here is a link to download the booklet

http://www.ireland.ie/sites/default/fil ... thdown.pdf
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Some of the lectures in the above booklet have grabbed my attention,

14th January 2016 at 7 p.m in the Lexicon "Social conditions in Kingstown and Dublin in 1916, , a lecture by Padraig Yeates

28th January 2016 at 7 p.m in the Lexicon Deansgrange Cemetery and 1916 Rising. a lecture by our own jamie Moran.

11th February 2016 at 7 p.m in the lexicon Patrick Moran Irish Volunteer and Trade Unionist, a lecture by May Moran a niece of Patrick Moran.

25th February 2016 at 7 p.m in the Lexicon Roger Casement , a lecture by Angus Mitchell.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Rocker wrote
28th January 2016 at 7 p.m in the Lexicon Deansgrange Cemetery and 1916 Rising. a lecture by our own jamie Moran.

Yep that's the real highlight for me Rocker.

Thanks for the booklet Snowy.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for the 1916 Centenary Programme for the Borough Snowy. Some really good events to go to. wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Snowhite » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 pm

This looks very interesting ;)

Some 20,000 digitised documents relating to 1916 leaders are becoming available

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/herit ... -1.2454659
Snowhite

Postby Micheál » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Something that continues to intrigue me is the importance and role of Michael Mallin - after whom the Dun Laoghaire rail station is called.

Admittedly, my research has been minimal, but Ive yet to discover anything to suggest he had any role of significance. Moreover, it seems to me that his credentials as a leader in an armed insurrection were to say the least tenuous.

The naming of our station after him also seems particularly incongruous - something of a heritage consolation prize?

Anyone know otherwise?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Micheál wrote:Something that continues to intrigue me is the importance and role of Michael Mallin - after whom the Dun Laoghaire rail station is called.

Admittedly, my research has been minimal, but Ive yet to discover anything to suggest he had any role of significance. Moreover, it seems to me that his credentials as a leader in an armed insurrection were to say the least tenuous.

The naming of our station after him also seems particularly incongruous - something of a heritage consolation prize?

Anyone know otherwise?

M.

That's bordering on Blasphamy Michael. :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:08 pm

I looked him up a few years ago wondering about the station name and he came up here again through a link. He said something like he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't realise what was happening that day. I think there was a bit of truth in that because there was a lot of confusion that weekend about what was going to go ahead or not, but could he deny he knew nothing about what was happening on the Monday? dontknow
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:43 pm

No Strum he could'nt
From Wikipedia
Mallin surrendered on Sunday, 30 April 1916 when ordered to do so by Connolly. At his court-martial he downplayed his involvement. In his statement, Mallin said, "I had no commission whatever in the Citizen Army. I was never taken into the confidence of James Connolly. I was under the impression that we were going out for manoeuvres on Sunday." He added, "Shortly after my arrival at St Stephen's Green the firing started and Countess Markievicz ordered me to take command of the men as I had been so long associated with them. I felt I could not leave them and from that time I joined the rebellion."

dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm

His only link with Dun Laoghaire is a real co-incidence (& Nothing to do with the naming of the station).

When Connolly ordered the Irish Citizen Army to surrender, Mallin, as Chief of Staff, assembed his troops who were holed-up in the College of Surgeons. He then formerly surrendered to a British Army Captain by the name of . . .

Captain DeCoursey-Wheeler!!!

As a military commander, Mallin should never have been shot but rather he should have been comitted to Grangegorman. Imagine leading his men into St Stephens Green and getting them to dig-in to a park surrounded on all sides by Dublins tallest buildings. The only reason he originally entered RCSI was to look for guns known to be used by a student cadet outfit. Of course the real idiot in all of this was Connolly who appointed an army drummer to lead his "army". Mallin seems to have been an accomplished administrator and musicial ( he played the flute too and conducted the ICA orchestra) but a military strategist he was not.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:55 pm

His 'I knew naathin" defence is regarded by some commentators as deeply dishonourable. It is alleged he pretended the real person in charge was the Countess, believing the British would never execute a woman. It is suggested that this stance was motivated by his realisation that he would be leaving his pregnant wife and children destitute.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to HISTORY.