Snowy's Photo's

Your own personal Photos and Images

Re: Snowy's Photo's

Postby Barbon63 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:39 am

Snowhite wrote:Two brother's killed within months of each other from Dun Laoghaire. :(

Private James Kelly, 1888, age 30, No 5 Coy. 1st Bat., Irish Guards, died on Monday September 14, 1914 and is commemorated on La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, Seine-et-Marne, France. He was son of Peter and Mary Kelly, 34 Convent Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.

Private Thomas Kelly, 1889, age 32, 1st Bat., Irish Guards, died on Monday November 9, 1914 and is buried in grave 1. L. 17, Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. He was son of Peter and Mary Kelly, 34 Convent Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.

Hi Snowhite,
I've just discovered the 1901 & 1911 censuses. As far as I can make out, James & Thomas were brothers of my grandfather, Patrick Kelly. I'm the daughter of Patrick's son, Laurence (1924-2011) from Wolfe Tone Avenue. I was able to find the birth records of their other brothers Henry (1889), Peter(1892), John (Jack)(1894) & William(1897) easily enough and their only sister, Julia(1885) but haven't found either James's or indeed my grandfather, Patrick's birth records yet.

It was great to find this information, many thanks,
Anne-Marie Farrell (nee Kelly)
Dear Ancestor, I may not have found you today but it's the weekend and I've bought snacks
Barbon63

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Welcome to the site Barbon. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Ann-Marie, Glad that was some help to you, I was in Belgium earlier this year and went looking for your Gr Uncle Thomas Kelly's grave to leave a little Irish Flag on it, I brought loads with me and any Irish guys I came across I left a Flag for them in respect of their sacrifice. :-( Unfortunately I went to the wrong cemetery though and only found out later the one I was looking for was only around the corner, but I will be going back again and will make it a point to go and leave a Flag.

I found these for you and hope they are the right people,..................... (just click on image when the link opens ;-) )

James Kelly

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... c011188860

Patrick Kelly

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... ac61971283

This is the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, Seine-et-Marne, France, where James Kelly is commemorated on. (Lest we forget)

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:41 pm

PS, Welcome to the site hellllo
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Welcome Anne-Marie hope you enjoy the site. I'm from Dominick St. and I think I know your Granddad did he work in one of the supermarkets in Dun Laoghaire I think it was Quinnsworth and also his brother James who was known as Josh. hellllo
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Barbon63 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi Denis,

No, it was Tom, my dad's brother who worked in Quinnsworth but they were very alike. Tom is the only one of the family left, he lives in Ballybrack. My dad was a traffic warden in Dun Laoghaire in the eighties, you might remember him!!! He passed away on Christmas day 2011 at the age of 87 so he had a good innings. I didn't know that James was known as Josh. He was exactly 14 years younger than dad but unfortunately died in his thirties.

I'm having great fun here looking up censuses and death/birth records... it's addictive!!

Thanks for the welcome,
Anne-Marie
Dear Ancestor, I may not have found you today but it's the weekend and I've bought snacks
Barbon63

Postby Barbon63 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi Snowhite,

Many thanks for those links. It was the right Patrick (which was the one I was particularly interested in, as he was my grandfather) but not the right James (mother's maiden name was different) but that only leaves one to find, I've found the birth records of the other seven.

That was a lovely idea to leave little Irish flags on the graves and a shame that you didn't get to the other cemetery... next time for sure!

Lovely photo, by the way

Anne-Marie
Barbon63

Postby Barbon63 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:51 pm

Found it!

Now, why couldn't I find that last night? Probably because it was about 4am!!
Barbon63

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:15 am

Welcome to the site Anne Marie. You have done amazing work on finding all your family. I am bogglied eyed looking at those Irish genealogy records. They have allowed me fill in so many blanks in my trees.

My great grandparents seemed to have moved around every address in D/L. Every baby was born in a different address adn...there were a lot of babies...sad to think that in two generations our family name has almost died out.

Continued good luck in your searches wuu wuu

Do you have any good Dún Laoghaire stories to get us all thinking and remembering??
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 am

Glad to hear Tom is still with us sorry to hear about your Dad. It's hard to believe that Joss ( I called him Josh earlier) died so young. He was a little older than me but I remember how tall and well built he was,he looked indestructible,you just never know do you. Keep posting.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Barbon63 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:10 pm

This is the only surviving photograph of my grandfather, Patrick Kelly. I think he is the third from the right. Great to have and it will be taking pride of place on my photo wall very shortly!
Attachments
Patrick Kelly.jpg
Patrick Kelly.jpg (172.11 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Barbon63

Postby Barbon63 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:14 pm

By the way, my profile picture is my dad, Laurence Kelly (1924-2011) in his R.A.F. uniform. Also will be included in my photo wall :)
Barbon63

Postby Micheál » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

By the way, I did promote NLoI before . . .

Micheál wrote:
Snowhite wrote:Still cant get into Imageshack dontknow

Flickr is yer only man!
a doddle to upload
a sinch to place links here
and it supports some brilliant social media dialogue. National Library use it to post fascinating images every day and Flickr users can comment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/

Heres todays offering
M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Previous

Return to MEMBERS PHOTOS