Gerry Drew, younger brother of Ronnie is in one of the pictures. All the others
need to be watched again.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Wicklow Roots

Postby Navanman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Snowy
We have relations in Bray I really must tell them about this clip. Really well put together.

NM
Navanman

Postby Micheál » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Love the soundrack!
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Great photos.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 am

Glad you all liked it, there are some little gem's out there just waiting to be found. ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby jaytee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Snowy its great so nostalgic. Im not a bray person but Ive lived here for 16 years & I showed to my neighbours who are all bray born & bred & they love it & know all the faces.
Thanks for posting it you've put smiles on faces today.... :D :D :D
jaytee

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Rocker wrote:I never go to Bray but when Farmboy just posted about Cassoni in Bray I googled them and their mouthwatering site has enticed me to put up the link...sounds like my kind of plaice(sic) and a glass of wine as well. wuu

http://cassoni.weebly.com/

We went to Cassonis tonight. Upstairs. It looks very basic but...the place is spotless..my big thing is shiny glasses and you couldn't get shinier than Cassonis...We opted for the fish and chip ..that is why we came..started with a tomato bruschetta...
yummy I had the most gorgeous cod with the lightest batter and chips to die for HID had monkfish pan fried with a prawn dressing and garlic chips...to equally die for, all rounded off with Italian decent coffee..well worth a visit.I'm still licking my lips.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby farmboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Sounds great Rocker,I,ve never had a meal in the fairly recent upstairs part but I,ve had many a fish and chip when it was your basic cafeteria and I have to say probably the best around. Not sure if theres two brothers involved but I know one of them, Alf who is a nice friendly lad who takes his business very seriously. Must visit the upstairs sometime soon, I,d say theres a nice athmosphere to it with the sea right beside it.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Didn't get the chaps name but he said his brother is usually there. He is really interested in the business and was delighted with our feedback...Me..I can go on and on.. :D but we sat at the window overlooking the sea..got there at about 7p.m mainly families enjoying their tea. But, probably the best fish and chip I have had and the coffee was great.Chinese girl doing the table...first class, very professional and great attention to detail.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby farmboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 pm

That sounds like Alf alright :D Just as well you didnt get him started on all the varities of potatoes or you wouldnt be home yet! :? :D
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Maris pipers!!! :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:24 am

Yep real chipper chips are made using Maris Pipers wuu wuu wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

St. Peter's Church, Little Bray

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:02 pm

St. Peter's Church, Little Bray have started to put up details of graves in their graveyard what they call the new part from 1906 onwards.
Here is the link

http://www.stpeterslittlebray.com/cemetery-records.html

Wait a few moments for it to load and then I found the easiest way was to go to the Surname section and to toggle through the names alphabetically. I found four of our family name now, I have to find out how they are related.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I see the death notice for a woman married to one of the Cassonis on rip.ie at the moment.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:30 am

Here is an interesting book on mining in Wicklow. I had no idea it was so extensive in the 1800's..

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin ... icklow.pdf
------------------------------------------------------

This Wicklow Mountains National Park site has great photos

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/gallery.html
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Campo de fiori restaurant Bray

Postby Rocker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Only getting to read last Sunday's papers today and there is a great article on a Restaurant in Bray Campode'fiori.
The owner Marco Roccasalvo sounds the real deal.....I love italian food......can't believe they have four courses for €20. see the website...now is the time to check them out...

http://www.campodefiori.ie/

They have a place called Risto Market...yummy

http://www.campodefiori.ie/index.php/risto-market
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Well we are just back from having a pizza in the Rizzo Market...chaotic as they are understaffed but...God, was the pizza delicious...and the juices and coffee......all round gorgeous but, it is tiny and chaotic...but, I'm big and bold so did a bit of Mammy organising!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri May 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Michael Seery has put up his book on Enniskerry free on Google books. A wonderful compilatiion. If you have any interest in Powerscourt or Enniskerry or family from there it is a must.

Thank you Micheal.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=3BBlAwA ... &q&f=false
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri May 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Did'nt know they grew pizzas in Wickla as a matter of fact I did'nt know they had Wicklow roots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Off topic -
your a bold girl Rocker ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Have been watching a huge lot of smoke over Bray. Just heard there are two fires. One in the town and one on the head........hope everyone is safe.

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/07/fire-in-bray/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Turlough Hill

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Just found out about these tours of Tourlough Hill today...there are a few dates available for September

http://www.esb.ie/main/education/Turlou ... -years.jsp
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Rocker !! I worked for the ESB up there on and off during its construction from start to finish, it was hard going in the Winter I can tell you, the drive from Brewery Road every morning became a grind and manys a day we couldn't make it up because of the conditions. It was an amazing experience though. While I was still in ESB every so often they would detail me to give a tour of the place to the latest batch of young apprentices. I remember they did a feasibility study up the mountain on the opposite side of the road before settling on the present site. It would take me pages to recount all the things that happened up there, I certainly didn't enjoy it but still glad I played a role in it.
I'd say it would be well worth a tour and I would be interested to hear if they give a true version, warts and all.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Just back after a wonderful day at Wicklow Jail. Because it is Heritage Week we got half price!!...love a bargain.
Really super visit. We joined a tour where Matron brought us to the cells and told us some of the history of the place then we were left to continue at our own pace. The place is so well laid out, impressive figures and cell furniture etc. Each floor is done in century 17/18th, 19th, 20th. We got to see punishment cells, stocks, a recreation of a transportation ship, just so well thought out and developed. Matron and the staff were on hand to answer questions as they arose.

I had three relatives prisoners there in the 1800's and had always meant to go and see the place.

To round off there is a shop with very decent Irish souvenirs and a great little restaurant where you get 10% reduction with your visit receipt. Parking was also free with the visit.

All in all a great day out...pity about the rain but, you can't have everything.
http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 am

Something that Micheál mentioned about his boat trip...the wonderful host from Clare. During our trip to Wicklow Jail we met such a person...the Matron...a women dressed up for the part meets you on arrival and takes you for the start of the tour...there is great banter and chat and her great mingling of the crowd led us to meet with a wonderful Wicklow farming family who were having a day out. The chat that ensued led me to discussing the family name I was searching for in Wicklow and low and behold they were related to one branch of what might be my forebearers...talk about fate...but if the hostess hadn't been so good we would never have chatted...it would have been just ships that passed in the night...no pun intended.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Yesterday was our long awaited trip to Turlough Hill ESB station. God is it Unsignposted!!(is that a word??). Thank God HID is a wizard with maps....I would still be driving over the mountains. It was a very technical tour...have to say more a man's thing...HID was in his element...all numbers, measurements, details...but I enjoyed the trip through the tunnel and into the control room...the noise was unbelievable!!...because of health and safety they would not bring us to the upper lake...I have the book will post the technical details.

Late lunch at Laragh was a treat and the weather was unbelievable...God the purple heather and the depth of colour on the Wicklow mountains...Heaven at home...my heart was soaring....
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to WICKLOW