Wicklow Roots

"The Garden of Ireland"

Re: Wicklow Roots

Postby masterblaster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:28 am

Hi all,Wicklow has a few memories for me and the good lady.Sunday we took a trip to the"meeting of the waters"and a quick jar in Wicklow town.Lunch was had in a little place called Jacobs Well,have to say the food was always tip top, there was usually a good buzz about the place and the staff were great.I'm told the owner was a TD.A short spin then to see the Parnell house in Rathdrum which helped fill in the afternoon.
masterblaster

Postby Sinead » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Scenery in Wicklow is always amazing. When my father's eyesight was failing
and he could no longer drive we were often taken on CIE tours, Wicklow was
always a favourite place. The tours would be afternoon ones so no meal was
involved.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:04 pm

masterblaster wrote:Hi all,Wicklow has a few memories for me and the good lady.Sunday we took a trip to the"meeting of the waters"and a quick jar in Wicklow town.Lunch was had in a little place called Jacobs Well,have to say the food was always tip top, there was usually a good buzz about the place and the staff were great.I'm told the owner was a TD.A short spin then to see the Parnell house in Rathdrum which helped fill in the afternoon.

I assume he gave you something with which to wash down your iodine tablets?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:20 am

Masterblaster,

Isn't it amazing how we are all drawn to Wicklow. It could be that it is our nearest countryside but I like to think that my ancestors came from there and that I have a genetic pull to the place :lol: ...thats the romantic in me
As soon as I got a car I was off over the place and did most of my learning on those hills in the early hours of the morning!

Skins,

I never knew it was that jacobs !!! I saw a programme the other night on the telly old footage of the whole interview with marian Finucane and Sellafield etc...We still have those tablets here for posterity!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Hello Rocker,

talking 'bout them there hills,for many years I played golf in Baltinglass and I used drive over the Wicklow Gap on the way down.There's not many views to compare with the Gap on a clear day! it not only improved yer drivin skills,it gave you a head for heights !!!
masterblaster

Bright lights on Bray Head

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Big bright lights on Bray Head...does anyone know what they are????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:30 am

O.K so with the Parish Registers I find out my Gt Gt Grandfather was from Glendalough. Now to find his father. Now I understand why I always felt a great attraction to Glendalough. Wonder what sort of clay cabin they had. :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 am

Are you boasting again Rocker????
A clay cabin ??? wow!!!!!
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 am

grammer wrote:Are you boasting again Rocker????
A clay cabin ??? wow!!!!!

:lol: :lol: We always had notions of grandeur :lol: :lol:

The Prison records and petty sessions accounts on the Mormons site www.familysearch.org put paid to my swelled head. The poor ancestors were in and out of prison and court. It has made me appreciate how hard they worked to get a house and an education to give this generation a good outlook.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Rocker wrote:Now I understand why I always felt a great attraction to Glendalough.

You sure they wern't all saints Rocker? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Strum wrote:
Rocker wrote:Now I understand why I always felt a great attraction to Glendalough.

You sure they wern't all saints Rocker? :D

Ha if you saw the old prison records you would know they weren't. The demon drink had a lot to do with it and hunger drove them to steal!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Rocker wrote:The demon drink had a lot to do with it and hunger drove them to steal!!

We might be related so. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Strum wrote:
Rocker wrote:The demon drink had a lot to do with it and hunger drove them to steal!!

We might be related so. :lol:

Yippeee
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Still going through the Glendalough Catholic Parish Records and there are great snippets among the various pages.

28th May 1846
Got possession of a plot of ground to build a church on at Glendalough. The first stone was blessed by the very Rev Theobold Matthews on the 3td june 1846 and laid by Mr Peter Kelly of 14 Little Brittain St, Dublin. He gave 100 pounds on the occasion

Eugene Clarke P.P

3rd June 1850
St Kevins Church was solemnly blessed and dedicated to St. Kevin by the Right Rev Dr O'Connor, Bishop of Saldes( the most Rev Dr murray was unwell at the time).The President of All Hallows College, Drumcondra preached the service and the sutdents of the above named Missionary College were in attendance and formed a very efficient choir. The early part of the day was rather unfavourable.

Eugene Clarke P.P

A great bit of social history there.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am

Rocker,

Daughter was married in Avoca on Thursday, like her Ma and Da, with the reception afterwards in Rathsallagh House, Dunlavin. A beautiful place and a great day. But being up in the Gap in a heavy downpour is a bit unsettling, the headlines keep popping up in your head...."Father of Bride Found at Bottom of Steep Ravine"! Would you believe I've never been that far into West Wicklow before? Wicklow is really like two or more counties, with the mountains acting as a divider between them, and up around Carnew would have more in common with North Wexford and Carlow than Wicklow itself. Some people reckon it's part of the reason why the county can't put together a decent Senior Football team in the All-Ireland championship....there's no unity amongst the different regions. When we were going to school, as Denis and Jabra will remember, the Bray lads were very quick to tell you that they were "Wickla", nowadays Bray seems to be just another suburb full of plastic Dubs.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Skins,

That is a lovely place to marry. I love Avoca and often drive down early in the mornings just to be there. Was never in Ratsallagh House, there is one for me to try. I know what you mean about the great divide in Wicklow. I have been a long number of years snooping around the various parts looking for roots of my Paternal side and Maternal side and the Carlow end doesn't want to know the rest of the county!!
My Paternal lot are definitely from Glendalough and the Maternal lot from Dunlavin Parish ....the parish registers for Dunlavin are so feint I can't read them so will never really know when my Great Gt.Grandfather came there.
When I was at school the Bray grls were very proud of being from Wickla too. Sad about how the suburbs are now out to Arklow. The youngsters think I am mad defining myself by a place...they all want to be mid Atlantic

One way or another as soon as i hit Kilnacanogue I feel home and just love driving the Wicklow way and going to Glencree. Heart soaring county.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jabra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes Skins I remember the lads from Bray going to national school in Dunlaoghaire and in later years
going to the Tech. There was even a lad from Kilcoole went to the Tech in Dunlaoghaire why I don't
know as Bray had a Technical school of its own. I met one lad from Bray about 15 years ago that I
had'nt seen since scool days and I asked him why he came all the way from Little Bray which seemed
an awful long way to us in those years and he told me his father insisted that his national schooling
be carried out by the christian brothers. I wonder if his Dad was alive today would he still think the
same way
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Yeah, I think a lot of parents made that decision, "'cos them lads 'll put manners on yeh".
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:13 pm

jabra wrote:the christian brothers. I wonder if his Dad was alive today would he still think the
same way

Good point, but there wasn't much choice was there? What type school would he have gone to otherwise? Just curious.
Strum
Administrator

Postby jabra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 pm

Well as far as I remember there was a national school in Bray just was'nt run by the Christian Brothers
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 am

Most of us have great great grand parents that came from Wicklow.
Sallynoggin was the place to be back then
near the the metropolis called Dun Laoghaire :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:39 am

grammer wrote:Most of us have great great grand parents that came from Wicklow.
Sallynoggin was the place to be back then
near the the metropolis called Dun Laoghaire :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just thinking that grammer. It seemed to be a bit like the Dubs going to Perth nowadays. One goes out gets the place, gets the job and then the rest join to sleep on the floor for a few years before they get on.I'm finding the same surnames who stuck together in Wicklow, stuck together in Dún Laoghaire and Blackrock. Oh, how I wish they had left some written details of their lives and friendships. But, I suppose it was so difficult getting a bite to eat they wouldn't have time ot the paper or pen to write anything down.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:01 pm

Yeah I remember the Bray lads coming to Eblana,the Reynolds and Vance brothers and Dominick Clarke in my time there, all good lads. Jackie Vance, Pat Vance and Dominick Clarke were very good footballers and played schoolboy for St. Joseph's. Talking about Wicklow one of my daughters lives in Clonegal,it's under the authority of Wicklow County Council,the postal address is Wexford and it's actually in Carlow,funny situation.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby skins » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:20 pm

Yes, remember them well, Denis. Tommy Campbell was another one, and a chap named McGarry. Do you recall a bloke called Niall O'Neill, who lived at Shanganagh Bridge? Was at a funeral in Clonegal a few months ago; there was a meal afterwards in the Mount Wolseley Hotel, followed by a white-knuckle ride home through thick fog over the hills via Shillelagh, Tinahely, etc. Not for the faint-hearted!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:39 pm

Remember Tommie well,he was big into cycling and acted as PRO for the Irish cycling magazine. Now and again he'd come into the GPO and we'd have a chat. He was very helpful when we issued 4 stamps on cycling.He put us in touch with the right people so that the stamp designs could be authenticated by cycling experts. Remember Niall O' Neill,I think his dad was a policeman and they lived in the Police Station in Shankill. I know that road through Tinahely to Clonegal it can be scary. The daughter now avoids it and goes on the motorway as far as Gorey and then through Carnew,much safer.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

PreviousNext

Return to WICKLOW