pearse rovers

People, places, stories.

Re: pearse rovers 1982

Postby jimmyh » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 am

Lads new user to site, just looking at the photo from circa 1982 i played with a lot of these lads, but under the management of Ger Keating. I can confirm a few names....
Back Row 3rd Left Neil Banahan from Glasthule ended up a goalkeeper for joeys. 4th Left is Centre Half Olly Crilly. Big man centre forward is Ger Ryan from eden villas Glasthule. Next is centre half Willie Taversham from around Avondale Rd area. Last on back row is Philip ? surname escapes me im afraid.
Front row includes 2nd left right winger Paul Pablo Merrigan from Sallynoggin, midfielder Gary Blake from Glasthule, Joe Corrigan goalkeeper, Alan Moynihan right full back the rest i cannot name im afraid.
The jerseys are sponsored by Sheahans Funeral Home Dun laoghaire, and John Sheahan the proprietor only passed away last week. I think a lot of new faces arrived the following season from a team called Belleview, myself (jimmy Hobson), Winger Les McGarry, Midfielder Alan Pluck, and centre forward Brian Corrigan all from Sallynoggin area. We were very sucessful under the astute management of Ger Keating in the South County League
jimmyh

Re: pearse rovers

Postby farmboy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Jimmy, that was actually Mary Sheahan, John,s wife who passed away last week. She had been in poor health for some time. Strangest thing, apart from reading of John,s "death" last night , I looked in on Facebook and a girl posted that Christy Dignam of Aslan had died last night. Seems he collapsed from exhaustion and was taken to hospital for tests but he too is very much alive!! :o
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Harjoe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Unfortuneatly Pearse Rovers have gone the way of many of the teams in Dun Laoghaire in the last few years the television generation is more interested in the premier league in England than whats on their doorstep and the x box and playstation is more comforable than having to train two nights a week and where boys and their fathers are drawn to more established clubs in the area like St Josephs and forgetting about their other local clubs.
When John Lennon died he at the time was the heart of the club and attracted boys and leaders to the club and when some of those boys grew up they consentrated on playing senior football although some returned to coach younger teams but as the search for better players got more intence the number of Pearse teams went down to one or two schoolboys teams and a senior team.
Another thing was the movement of people from the area to Ballybrack and Loughinstown where men with children of footballing age set up their own teams to reflect the community spirit in those areas and unless you have a flow of leaders and perents you are on an uphill struggle to survive.
As one who had the priviledge of playing for Pearse Rovers in their early days when they had only 4 teams under 13 ,under 16, under 18 ,and under 23 ,Iam sorry to see them going along with Workmans Club, Dun Leary Celtic Rockford Boys, Monkstown Boys, Auburn, Beeches Celtic, Deerhunter , Dunleary Firebrigade,and many more who have fallen by the wayside.
But let nobody forget the contribution the men who gave their time to each and everyone of those clubs for without their
time and commitment we would not have the memories of our youth
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm

welcome to the site Jimmyh regards to your mom and dad
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby jimmyh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Farmboy and the absolute legend joe dodd. I was away on holidays the past two weeks and My parents said they were at the funeral , i must have pick them up wrong, for that i apologise, you are correct it was Mary RIP. I think i may have the name of the goalkeeper wrong also in the 1982 pic, hopefully someone can correct me. Joe my dad send his regards, delighted at looking at all your great pics, see you in joeys soon.
jimmyh

Postby farmboy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 pm

No bother Jimmy, we were in Spain last week at a wedding and I heard through some guests of 3 people who had died, one of them a couple of years ago!! Strange where you hear things and theres a strong possibility that several other people have died that we knew but never get to hear about. I gave up reading the death notices in newspapers years ago.....couldnt get my head around the fact that they all died in alphabetical order. :)
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 am

:D :D :D :D
Have to agree -Ger Keating did a huge amount of good work with Pearse Rovers
and put up with a lot of hassle from everyone left right and centre---
=============================================
the last I heard of Pearse was that they had amalgamated with Club 61 and were playing over on the Sallynoggin/Lourdes pitches
dont know what the up todate story is but I do know that Joeys are using the Pearse pitch
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes the likes of Ger Keating , Richie Cullen, Brendan O Connor Tommy Heffernan John Lennon's sons and all the other leaders who over the years gave of their time to keep the club going and they turned out some fine players that all the other clubs in the Boro benefited from. but like everything people get tired of doing the same thing against the odds and in my opinion Pearse downfall was that they never had an established club premises like Joe's I know they had the hutbut that would not attract players over a long time and as we know kids will play football anywhere but perants have such high hopes for their children they demand much more .
But in my opinion Pearse Rovers and all who have been involved with them as leaders and managers over the fifty years of their excistance can be proud of the contribution they made to Soccer in the Boro' and they should never be forgotten.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 pm

By pure coinsadance today I was in my attic looking for some photos when I found these two Pearse Rovers memberships cards one for 1957 and one for 1958.
The 1957 one shows subscriptions of 3 d a week and initials of Mr Wallace and Tommy Tracy who was manager of the team
the 1958 seems to be a larger sub which may have been saving for an outing at Easter or summer because the subs were two shillings two and six pence,and 5 shillings the initals were of John Lennon , Joe Dixon, Joey O Connor,and Tom Higgans
as far as I can remember
By harjoe at 2010-09-22
By harjoe at 2010-09-22
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D

John Lennon , Joe Dixon, Joey O Connor,and Tom Higgans
as far as I can remember

thanks for the memories Harjoe
all gentlemen
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

This is a shame about Pearse Rovers. I take the Dogs walking most nights around the Sallynoggin Fields and watch the Clubs training and playing 5 a side etc.
Some great players up there.
Excuse my ignorance but I take it the Black and White strip is St Pats??? Whoever they are they have 17 teams I believe?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:08 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
near enough Strum
St josephs :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 am

Oh yeah, sorry. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello all !
Think I can add some info to lads in early Pearse Rovers photo 59/60.
Back Row, left to right.
Joe O'Connor, John Kinch Gerry Flynn Alan Swaine Harry Wynne (forget) Noel Merrigan john Lennon
Front Row, left to right.
Cormac Becton Christy Massey Eamonn Lawless Jimmy Hobson Jimmy Massey.
Can't remember if Christy Massey and Jimmy Massey were related, there was also Colm Massey.
Keeper
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Keeper,

What became of Alan Swain, we were at Tech together, a real nice guy, His girlfriend was Hazel Ross, also at the Tech
Colm Massey was in my class at Eblana Gulag.

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:11 am

Harjoe,
I wonder if you remember my Grandad, Cha Doyle, from Longford Villas, He was born in the area in the 1890s and in the 1930s like most men went to find work in the U.K., leaving my Nan Sis to bring up the kids, my Mum,etc. He finally settled and retiren home to Longford Villas early 1961 and was a big football fan. He lost his legs through illness after he retired and spent a lot of time around the clubs in his wheelchair from the late 1960s until he died in the 1980s. He may have played as a young man for St Josephs in the 1920s..though not sure
Perhaps Grammer could fill in a few gaps as he knew Cha when he returned to Sallynoggin from the U.K.
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:45 am

Here's another one for ye. A well preserved photo at that. I borrowed it from my neighbour Paddy Byrne to post it. Harjoe is his Uncle too I believe.
Small world eh. :D

That's Paddy with the blonde curly hair, Pearse Rovers in the 70's. Don't know any of the others but I'll ask Paddy if anybody is interested?

Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:59 am

Strum you are making me feel old me an uncle :D :D :D with 15 in our family it had to come out sometime, that must be the only photo of Paddy in football gear it must have been a summer tournament because Paddy did'nt play much ,but he was involved with Ger Keating for many years helping out with the teams at Pearse Rovers

Enviro cant say I knew Cha Doyle off the top of my head but I must check if he played during the 1920s the teams most lilkley are St kevins or Edenville , because ST Josephs in Glasthule did'nt start until 1937 and the Revo started ST Joes Boys in the 1950s
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:13 am

enviro
Alan Swaine Played with me at Dunleary Celtic in the 1970s we were great mates and he was playing for many years with Dalkey Celtic whose Hon Sec Tommy Cullen died a couple of weeks ago ,Alan as far as I know still works in R T E the last I heard of him was a few years ago not sure if he is still with Hazel or not
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am

Harjoe,

Thank you, And I may look up Alan when in Dun Laoghaire from 6th Sept.....ALL NOTE, ENVIRO WILL BE AT HOME IN D-L from 6th Sept until 14th Sept Some of you have my Mobile number.. You have been warned >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Strum wrote:I borrowed it from my neighbour Paddy Byrne to post it. Harjoe is his Uncle too I believe.

Very sad but Paddy passed away on Sunday night. R.I.P. Paddy.
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Ahhh Strum -
I never heard anything
R.I.P Paddy
one of the quietest nicest guys you could ever meet
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

grammer wrote:one of the quietest nicest guys you could ever meet

He sure was Grammer. I had some great laughs and chats with him. The poor fella had a miserable life though. Constant chronic pain.
I'll miss him. :|
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to SALLYNOGGIN