Noggin Memories

People, places, stories.

Re: Noggin Memories

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:26 am

Now that skins I did'nt know
but like yourself I have no one to ask -
ahhhhh yes Ido :D :D -but not until next week -
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Holla,
Never heard that before, very interesting. Thanks :)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Holla » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Holla wrote:Re the green at the back of st kevins villas

We always called this area" the plots" I always presumed the people in sarsfield/parnell streets must have used the land to grow veg ect(if only me granny were here to ask :)) on a side note it was once planed to build the new sallynoggin church on the spot where St kevins villas now stands

just for anyone curious to know where I got my info on the planed building of Our lady of victoires church on the St kevins villas site I read about in the 2001 journal no 10 of Dun laoghaire historical society the article is titled the streets of sallynoggin by Brian Smith copies are available in Dun laoghaire library
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

street names now and then

Postby jabra » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm curious as to why street names in Sallynoggin and surrounding areas are different
as to what they were known as 50 to 60 years ago.
For example at the moment Glenageary Rd Upper runs from the roundabout at Albert
Rd all the way to the roundabout in the Farm. In those far off days the rd from the top
of the noggin hill (no roundabout) down to the Farm was known as The Barn Rd and
the rd in the other direction from the hill was The Dalkey Rd
Mind you there were never any signposts or nameplates on these streets in those times
so maybe the locals put their own names on them
Next we have Sallynoggin Villas these 20 houses were the first two storey houses
built in the noggin 1917-1920 and were without a signpost/placename until the
early 80's The residents lobbied for years for some form nameplate. I've relations
still living in no.16 and they say the only people that knew their address were the
postman and the milkman. Straying slightly off topic these houses were built with
inside toilets and years later they built Rollins Villas with outside toilets STRANGE!!!
Rochestown Ave was never called that when I was a kid again no signpost/nameplate
it was simply known as The Ballybrack Rd or The Bray Rd.
Well people thats my little rant for tonight
Thanks for reading it
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Re: street names now and then

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 pm

I'm locking this Topic and merging it because there's another Topic on the same. No worries though, you will still get notifications of responses to it. ;)

EDIT: This new Topic was moved folks. ;)

There you go Jabra. I'm sure you'll get plently of responses now. Cheers. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Speaking of Memories.
Did any of you know John Ebble "Ebbler" and either or both of them Anthony Fitzpatrick "Dinah"
Dinah was a Roadie with Bagatelle. I have heard rumours that both of them have passed away, but some people are maybe not so sure of that.
If anybody knows anything can you let me know thanks folks. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 am

jabra wrote:I'm curious as to why street names in Sallynoggin and surrounding areas are different
as to what they were known as 50 to 60 years ago.
For example at the moment Glenageary Rd Upper runs from the roundabout at Albert
Rd all the way to the roundabout in the Farm. In those far off days the rd from the top
of the noggin hill (no roundabout) down to the Farm was known as The Barn Rd and
the rd in the other direction from the hill was The Dalkey Rd
Mind you there were never any signposts or nameplates on these streets in those times
so maybe the locals put their own names on them
Next we have Sallynoggin Villas these 20 houses were the first two storey houses
built in the noggin 1917-1920 and were without a signpost/placename until the
early 80's The residents lobbied for years for some form nameplate. I've relations
still living in no.16 and they say the only people that knew their address were the
postman and the milkman. Straying slightly off topic these houses were built with
inside toilets and years later they built Rollins Villas with outside toilets STRANGE!!!
Rochestown Ave was never called that when I was a kid again no signpost/nameplate
it was simply known as The Ballybrack Rd or The Bray Rd.
Well people thats my little rant for tonight
Thanks for reading it

Hiya Jabra if you put Barn road into the search box and Sallynoggin villas you should get a bit of info we touched on these areas before Sallynoggin villas were built in 1923.....cheers
Holla

Postby Gerald » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 am

Also, you can check out the old OSI maps. Someone on here made me aware of them and they are great. The 25" one is supposedly from about 1900 and the 6" about 1850 (I stand to be corrected) .....click the + sign on the right to move the map around. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,724324,727167,7,9
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Gerald » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Does anyone remember the plaster sculpture in the park beside the noggin inn of the man and dog. Awful lookin' thing....does anyone know when it was put there, or anything about it?
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Yeah Ger, it was called "Dark Man" by Paddy Glynn. 1986. Concrete and Steel.
I liked it but the local Kids wrecked it. :evil:
That's what you get when trying to introduce some culture into the Noggin. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Cheers Strum.....I wasn't too keen on it myself although I did refrain from the bit of vandalism....I thought it was 25+ years ago it was put there, which you've just confirmed....
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 pm

There you go Ger. I have it in an old leaflet. ;)

Do you remember there was a bit of "controversy" over it after it was demolished? As said below it was listed as Concrete and Steel and that should have stood up against even the Nogginers BUT what the Artist didn't say was that those materials were built around Fiberglass. In the photo you can see the knee was mashed to reveal that it was hollow inside.
I clearly remember the hole in it at the time. It didn't last long after that.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Well, it's just been getting a bit of a slagging on the Noggin FB page, as well as the wrong name of the artist and year of construction.....I don't remember any controversy. What was the nature of that? I thought there was a sort of wire frame that was revealed when the concrete was chipped away....don't remember any steel though....but it is a while ago...
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Ok well let's not say controversy. It was chicken wire covered in Fibreglass and coated with cement on a steel stand. That's not exactly Concrete and Steel is it? Big difference. If the frame had been made of Steel into a concrete mould it would probably still be there.
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:07 am

Just as well as in out of Sallynoggin most of my adult life
cos I dont have to defend it anymore ---
but you lot have really banjaxed it -----you now have the Sallynoggin you deserve -full stop and comma.
but I still have good memories of OLD Sallynoggin before you lot were all bussed in :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 am

I remember a big push by the Council to have sculptures throughout the Boro. Blackrock got the three skinny lads holding up the Black rock at the Back Road and a sculpture at the top of the Park...think there was one in Brookfield too...then the Ram on the Bray slip road..etc..
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Rocker wrote:I remember a big push by the Council to have sculptures throughout the Boro. Blackrock got the three skinny lads holding up the Black rock at the Back Road and a sculpture at the top of the Park...think there was one in Brookfield too...then the Ram on the Bray slip road..etc..

Yeah and they put one in the swans "Holla" ;) of a head its still there,I like it
Holla

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 pm

grammer wrote:but you lot have really banjaxed it -----you now have the Sallynoggin you deserve -full stop and comma.

What'er you on about Grammer? It's 20 years or so since that sculpture was demolished. Sallynoggin is a great place now.
The Sallynoggin management forum has done amazing work right through the area in the past four years and continue to do so. I'm here four years and have experienced nothing but friendliness. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's so hard to sir anything up around here anymore. dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

What I want to know is where is Johndle johndllle johndllle ??????
He had a big soup ladel for stirring.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to SALLYNOGGIN