Sallynoggin in the wars

People, places, stories.

Sallynoggin in the wars

Postby Gerald » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 am

When I was growing up in Sallynoggin, we would hear stories of big fights between lads from the noggin and the farm, or Ballybrack. As I got older, I always assumed these stories were made up. Then one day a man came into our office who was from the noggin and he brought up the subject and that indeed it was true. Maybe not the farm or' brack, but Nogginers had a bad reputation and there were brawls with other gangs from around. I still know very little about it. Can anyone remember more details?
Gerald
Advanced Member

Re: Sallynoggin in the wars

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am

Gerald,

The Nogginers will be on to tell you all. But, I think in the 50's and 60's there were gangs in every area. There were parts of the Rock that we couldn't go into. We would not have been accepted as we lived in a perceived "posher part". They weren't to know that it was a broken down shack that we could hardly afford the rent on...we weren't from X or Y or Z (no names no scandal) ...although they accepted us at school we were never asked to join the playing or the gangs.

There were hard men in every area...I can still remember the names ....and as they turned into youths and men they had their reputation to maintain so there were fierce fights...territorial !!! When each estate was built they were a melting pot of bodies and Top Dog always has to wield power. Eventually every area settles down.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm

hellllo I think Rocker is spot on there!

When I was a teenager going to dances late 50s early 60s dance halls were the usual battle fields.
I don't believe I was ever at a dance where there wasn't a fight and one of the root causes was...' where you came from'
Alcohol was of course a major factor also but, basicly it was regional. It should be noted also that social outlets were limited by the standards we're accustomed to, hence people from different areas tended to congregate in the few that existed, ie; mainly dance halls.
Women, raging testosterone and alcohol are an explosive mix at the best of times but , if your imagination can place them back in that era of repressed sexual freedom and religious fervour, you might get an inkling of how tense a gathering such as a 'Dance' could be.
Example: A dance at that time would usually be 8-12,9-2 or 10-3 which meant non drinkers would have a couple of hours of sedate peaceful bopping 'till the pubs closed or the drinkers decided it was time to dance.

Then the fun would start,one crowd would arrive perhaps from the Farm and proceed to dance with whomsoever they fancied regardless....the gang with whom their partners would normally dance, would then arrive and the atmosphere would become electric... fireworks were inevitable.
This scenario in one form or another was played out week in week out in every town in the country in the showband era,I'm sure Harjoe will vouch for this,but I have no memory of gang war as such, the violence invariably occurred in the circumstances i've described.
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Dancer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Gerald wrote:When I was growing up in Sallynoggin, we would hear stories of big fights between lads from the noggin and the farm, or Ballybrack. As I got older, I always assumed these stories were made up. Then one day a man came into our office who was from the noggin and he brought up the subject and that indeed it was true. Maybe not the farm or' brack, but Nogginers had a bad reputation and there were brawls with other gangs from around. I still know very little about it. Can anyone remember more details?

Yeah, I think one of them was a biker johndllle a bit rough round the edges and not too pleasing on the eye either - you wouldn't want to say the wrong thing, if you know what I mean evillaugh evillaugh

johndllle johndllle johndllle johndllle johndllle
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm staying silent for now. I want to hear from the Nogginers here first. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

These 'gangs' were all over the country in large towns. In Dublin there
were several gangs, one of which was THE ANIMAL GANG, the name
tells you everything. York Road fought with Ringsend, The Farm fought
with the Noggin, and so it went. No firearms were involved in those
days but some of the lads had razor blades in the peak of their caps -
they could do a lot of damage. I remember hearing all the tales about
these groups when I was a kid.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Would yiz ever get away out'a that.........the nearest thing we ever had to a gang in the Noggin was the Mens' Sodality!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 pm

I remember the York Road v Ringsend battles in the Top Hat !! The York Road lads would be waiting to "greet" the Ringsenders as they got off the bus !!
The bust ups in the Arcadia in Bray were legend, but our Matt Driscoll sorted them out !! Don't ever remember gangs in the Noggin or the 'Brack, there were a few lads didn't like each other as is the case everywhere.
keeper

Postby grammer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 am

skins wrote:Would yiz ever get away out'a that.........the nearest thing we ever had to a gang in the Noggin was the Mens' Sodality!

like Strum -I have hung back to see what would be posted ==

this quote sums it all up==
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 am

And this one

keeper wrote:I remember the York Road v Ringsend battles in the Top Hat !! The York Road lads would be waiting to "greet" the Ringsenders as they got off the bus !!
The bust ups in the Arcadia in Bray were legend, but our Matt Driscoll sorted them out !! Don't ever remember gangs in the Noggin or the 'Brack, there were a few lads didn't like each other as is the case everywhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 am

skins wrote:Would yiz ever get away out'a that.........the nearest thing we ever had to a gang in the Noggin was the Mens' Sodality!

Oh Skins....I fell off the chair laughing....ouch....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 am

Well Dancer :shock: Who might that biker be :shock: think you may be hearing from him soon :shock:
But your mention of a biker got me thinking, and there was a biker from, no, won't say where, just in case, anyway someone may remember him, he had a Honda Dream 200 or 300,"the" bike at that time, and rode it right up the narrow path to Sandycove Lawn Tennis door when the hops were on, he had the leather jacket, dark glasses and the hair style AND the girls :cry: He also had a nickname, more to do with his surname than anything else, "Hammer" :shock:
What was that film with Marlon Brando and bikers :?: I think maybe that was where Hammer got his inspiration dontknow dontknow I never heard of him being involved in a gang or fights, he was just a cool dude.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:52 am

keeper wrote:Well Dancer :shock: Who might that biker be :shock: think you may be hearing from him soon :shock:

:lol: :lol: I was thinking that too. No one gives him the "call to battle" as good as Dancer...... ;) aawhip
johndllle johndllle

All I can think of today when i see this topic heading is "white scapulars and sodality medals" !
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: St. Kevin's Villas was more ' no mans' land than 'Noggin and certainly more religious, Skins! There are a few names I can recall that still make me want to use the toilet but, they came from the real 'Noggin and fear for my health prevents me from naming them albeit they're old men now. But so am I ! : :D :D :D
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Slipper,
Just as in Rocker's case, when we moved into the new houses in Kevin's Villas the people in the old houses in Parnell Street and Sarsfield Street thought that we were all up ourselves, and there would have been some agro between the local youngsters in the first few years. In fact, when they started building the Clinic the trenches for the foundations were left unattended for a long time, maybe due to a dispute or something. This enabled us to conduct pitched battles using stones, a la Ypres or the Somme. If your Ma later sent you to get something in O'Toole's shop then Parnell Street became your very own personal Dardanelles.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby slipper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Skins ya've a luvly turn of phrase,

As a lad in the Farm I experienced something similar on the black days when I would be expressly instructed to go to the "TOP" shops for some item or other. Jeez ! the terror of it, I remember I'd try stall 'till lunchtime to venture forth in the off chance that the enemy would be at the trough.
I don't recall you being a regular on the same dancehall scene that I've documented here ( Mary your sis' and Anne Massey were) but thats not to imply you didn't experience the scenarios of my earlier post. If you didn't you were fortunate, and if you did is my account accurate or was I just extremely windy ? :oops: :oops: :oops:
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby jabra » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm

I was born and reared in the noggin and still live
there to this daya. Dont remember pitch battlesq but I do remembef
fights inside and outside the top hat on sat nights also arcadia in bray
but Lugs Brannigan and Matt Driscoll did their best to keep it to a minimum
I remember Rollins Villas was famous not for people but packs of dogs that
roamed the villas if you were goin over to the farm you went the long way
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby slipper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 pm

jabra wrote:I was born and reared in the noggin and still live

Welcome Jabra,hope you enjoy the site and that you are not shy about telling stories.

You're perfectly right re the Villas,I'm terrified of dogs and many's the time I took the longer route

home from the mot's house to avoid the vicious hounds and made my way down the Barn road to be comforted

by the light of Grammer's ciggie approaching in the distance.
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Holla » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Did yiz never hear the saying "Walk anywhere but run through the Noggin" :D
Holla

Postby skins » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:36 pm

slipper wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Skins ya've a luvly turn of phrase,

As a lad in the Farm I experienced something similar on the black days when I would be expressly instructed to go to the "TOP" shops for some item or other. Jeez ! the terror of it, I remember I'd try stall 'till lunchtime to venture forth in the off chance that the enemy would be at the trough.
I don't recall you being a regular on the same dancehall scene that I've documented here ( Mary your sis' and Anne Massey were) but thats not to imply you didn't experience the scenarios of my earlier post. If you didn't you were fortunate, and if you did is my account accurate or was I just extremely windy ? :oops: :oops: :oops:

You seem to know me, Slipper, but I haven't a clue who you are. (Thinks: I should never have admitted damaging Corpo property, now I may go on the run again). No, I wasn't a huge dance enthusiast, we spent a lot of time in Bray and often went to the Arc or the International, but I never really enjoyed the atmosphere of the big dance halls.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby slipper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Skins,don't worry I don't work for and am no friend of the Corpo'

Yeah, I know you! but only by sight and reputation and of course through your acerbic wit (which I very much enjoy)

on the site here. I was a year behind you & Dennis at C B S and if you cast your mind back to that time you'll recall that any

self respecting 'smart alec' would never dream of deigning to converse with a 'smart alec' who was a year his junior.

Consequently we never interfaced...as they say nowadays..but every time I read one of your comments here I can picture you

in my minds eye. And only as you were in '59/60 ie forever young !
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Rocker ! The Scapulars in Ballybrack were Brown :lol: :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Micheál » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Keeper,

Given the topic in play, I misread that as Scalp-hunters in Ballybrack

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 am

slipper wrote:
jabra wrote:I was born and reared in the noggin and still live

Welcome Jabra,hope you enjoy the site and that you are not shy about telling stories.

You're perfectly right re the Villas,I'm terrified of dogs and many's the time I took the longer route

home from the mot's house to avoid the vicious hounds and made my way down the Barn road to be comforted

by the light of Grammer's ciggie approaching in the distance.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Slipper === Dont remember if I even smoked then -walking home from the Farm and the lights going out half way up would make you want to wear a scapula -I could have really started smoking then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
was never afraid of the farmers or anyone else -But it was the black dog with the red eyes or the headless coachman that used to make me walk home real fast-come to think of it now -The headless coachman -he would'nt have been able to see me dontknow dontknow
Agree with you re Rollins Villas -the blxxxdin Hounds of the Baskervilles all lived there

and you know what, that was the name of Tom Cash's group :lol: :lol: :lol:
off topic I know but that question was asked elsewhere on the site sometime ago. :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby bugrock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:55 am

I knew some people who lived in the Noggin - on purpose! I also had some family there, but I would only venture there in daylight and get the hell out before dusk. I wasn't brave enough to go on foot or the 7a so I waited until I bought a motor bike.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Next

Return to SALLYNOGGIN