THE BARNROAD

People, places, stories.

THE BARNROAD

Postby Holla » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:59 pm

When talking about the road down by gowerie park to the golflinks on glenageary road uppr we would
refare to it as the barnroad ,I asked my grandmother who was born in sallynoggin( she said she was born in the thomastown part of sallynoggin)in 1896 she told me there used to be loads of haybarns around the area of gowerie house. was it just us or did any of you hear it called this,i know on very old maps this is farmingland and marked as honeypark, this is where they must of got the great brainwave to call the new apartments on the golf course honeypark which will cause postal nightmares for those in the real honeypark of sallynoggin est 1926.anyhow after a slight rant anyone else hear of the BARNROAD.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: THE BARNROAD

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 am

Holla,
I grew up knowing Glenageary as the Bran Rd.. I am almost 63 now and can actually remember the road when uit was quite narrow. A small bit of that road existed until recent years on the right past the Links gate on the right with an old house behind the wall and a doorway leading to the house..The road was widened in the late 1950s and prior to that many a local including my Da seen the '" Portly man figure" ghostly standing the doorway..My Da never beleived in such until that noght....Many a local were confronted by the 'PORTLY MAN'..

On my recent visit to Ireland I noticed the road was being widened again, the Links disappeared and piles of houses going up there..how sad indeed.
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Thomastown » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Enviro500 wrote:Holla,
I grew up knowing Glenageary as the Bran Rd.. I am almost 63 now and can actually remember the road when uit was quite narrow. A small bit of that road existed until recent years on the right past the Links gate on the right with an old house behind the wall and a doorway leading to the house..The road was widened in the late 1950s and prior to that many a local including my Da seen the '" Portly man figure" ghostly standing the doorway..My Da never beleived in such until that noght....Many a local were confronted by the 'PORTLY MAN'..

On my recent visit to Ireland I noticed the road was being widened again, the Links disappeared and piles of houses going up there..how sad indeed.
Enviro500

Hi Enviro
That Road always gave me the shivers.Heard so many scary stories about it when I was a kid. The ghost of Hempenstal (The walking gallows)was said to frequent that area.The story goes that he used to hang men over his shoulder and walk along the Barn Road.This was when they were sentenced to death by the courts.There was a story in the paper many years ago about him,I dont know about the ghost but hempenstal was a hangman that part is true.
Have you ever heard of him?

Then of course we all heard about the Headless Coach.The story goes that if you looked at it you would be taken away.So the trick was to cover your eyes.Sounds silly now but as a kid it was scary.Many an early morning I would hear the clippity clop of a horse coming along of course it was only the milkman but for that few minutes I would be sweating bricks.The funny thing is the older people really believed it.
TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Holla,

Just reading your post and thought wouldn't it be great if we could phone back to 1896. My grandmother was born in 1879 in Thomastown and I cant get a handle on how or why they lived there.The father was married a couple of times and I am only getting dead ends researching. Did you ever hear of anyone who might have researched the families who lived in Thomastown in the 1870's,to 90's.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 am

Hi Enviro
That Road always gave me the shivers.Heard so many scary stories about it when I was a kid. The ghost of Hempenstal (The walking gallows)was said to frequent that area.The story goes that he used to hang men over his shoulder and walk along the Barn Road.This was when they were sentenced to death by the courts.There was a story in the paper many years ago about him,I dont know about the ghost but hempenstal was a hangman that part is true.
Have you ever heard of him

TT......... if I remember rightly this Hempenstal you mention is buired in Carrigbrennan graveyard Monkstown.
Holla
Holla

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am

TT,
We walked regularly from Dunedin to Longford Villas at my Nan's in the 1950s-early 1960s. When the road was narrow from the Gowrie Lodge towards St Kev's Vls. there was the small gateway and as I once told on here, My Dad, not a believer but total sceptic swears he saw the Old fella in the doorway one night... We always, and indeed to this day, call it The Barn Road....
It was a scary place when it was the old tree lined narrow road...

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Holla » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 am

Rocker wrote:Holla,

Just reading your post and thought wouldn't it be great if we could phone back to 1896. My grandmother was born in 1879 in Thomastown and I cant get a handle on how or why they lived there.The father was married a couple of times and I am only getting dead ends researching. Did you ever hear of anyone who might have researched the families who lived in Thomastown in the 1870's,to 90's.

Rocker my great grandmother was born in this area in 1860s I have some copies of tithe aplotments records for the townlands of Honey park, Sally Noggins, glenageary, and lanesville all then the parish of Monkstown this gives names of occupiers of agricultural holdings (mostly farm workers)perhaps your grandmothers people worked the land and thats how she lived in Thomastown lords de vesci and Lonford were two of the main land holders in the area .if you want to PM her name i will check are her people in the area in early/ mid 1800s .
Holla

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:47 am

How did I miss this first time round Holla :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks for bringing back some memories -good ones as well
I remember walking home from to Sallynoggin and the street lights going out at 12.10
I seemed to be always caught halfway up the road and ending up walking at about 90 miles an hour -just to get to the top of the Sallynoggin hill -cos the lights would be still on--
never mind the headless coachman what about the big black dog??????
He was supposed to have big red burning eyes and he was the divils dog :D :D
funny now -but it was'nt when you were walking /running up the road 3/4 nights a week :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
used to meet the same guys in the dark on their way back to the farm -coming from Sallynoggin :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you could spot a guy smoking a cigarette from one end of the road to the other :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Holla » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:33 pm

I see Planning permission up to Build three five bedroomed houses on the grounds of Gowrie house (on the Barnroad)anyone know any history of this house or who lived in it.?
Holla

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:09 am

Found this on the South West Section of Deansgrange Cemetery

Sacred | to the | beloved memory of | CAROLINE FRANCES | wife of | Major General
ADAM CUPPAGE | of Gowrie, Kingstown | who ceased to live | in this world | on
the 24th of August 1875 | in the 60th year of her age | "I was dumb, opened not
my mouth | because thou didst it" | Psalm 39 Verse 9 | To the dearly loved
memory of | Maj. Gen. ADAM CUPPAGE | Madras Army | of Gowrie, Kingstown | Born
11th January 1808 | Died 9th June 1890 | "Blessed are the dead | which die in
the Lord".
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks rocker,the house is on the Glenageary road near the new Tesco Honey park and was recently sold,I had a quick look at the 1911 census but they don't name the houses.I wonder did any locals work for them,maybe the Gardiner,in those days the house staff would tend to be live in and not be from the area just in case they might gossip about the goings on in the Big house :D
Holla

Return to SALLYNOGGIN