Old Tatch Public House

People, places, stories.

Old Thatch Public House

Postby brandy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi all.
Anyone remember the name of the landlord of the "old" Tatch pub in the noggin around 1973, i remember there was allways a great deal of singing done there on a Sunday night, great CRACK
brandy

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Are you talking about "McHugh's" below Honeypark ? I just remember old Mr McHugh as my grandad Cha Doyle' was a regular but early 1950s..Not sure who ruled the roost in '73, I was gone from these shores then sadly !!!

Check with "Farmboy or Grammer the usual Suspects " !!!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I would have had a jar there fairly regularly about 1973 but I dont know who the Landlord was at the time, we wouldnt have been bothered knowing anyway. I remember a redhaired barman who worked there called Noel but thats about all. There was a little guy who drank there every Sunday night who had a strong dislike for a much bigger fella and pretty much every Sunday night the two of them ended up punching the heads off each other. Bloodied lips and black eyes were the norm, dont know why one or the other or both werent barred. I wouldnt fancy seeing that type of carryon now in a pub but strangely we found it rather entertaining at that time. :-|
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 am

Hi brandy -envoro & farmboy
where you goin' farmboy with your Landlord :D :D :D
brandy as far as i can remember aludtimerz and all that

managers in the thatch
tony?????
johnny nevin
pat rice
#

landlord -- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

see topic-click on
http://www.dunlaoghairecounty.com/porta ... ght=thatch
grammer

Thatch

Postby brandy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:35 am

HI
Great photo"s Grammer, yes the name Rice rings a bell but not sure if it"s the right bell thanks for your help lads.
brandy

Postby Jacqui » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 am

And there was Richard a gentleman! Joe the last owner & who had something to do with The Pub in Dublin 1 "The Wind Jammer" Townsend St., it's still there going strong.
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 am

hi brandy&Jacqui
im trying to remember Richard????
try and find out today
Joe Fitz is the guy -he ran the Deerhunter and later the Wicked Wolf in Blackrock --last I heard of Joe Fitz was he was running the bar facilities in TEK (could be wrong now)
grammer

Postby mennis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi Gang.I believe Joe Fitz is running the Noggin Inn now.
Can anyone tell me the name of the man who worked in the Old Thatch, (in John McHughs time)Part of his duties was to fill the green bottles with beer direct from the Barrels.
mennis

Re: Old Thatch Public House

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 pm

brandy wrote:Hi all.
Anyone remember the name of the landlord of the "old" Tatch pub in the noggin around 1973, i remember there was allways a great deal of singing done there on a Sunday night, great CRACK

It was John. Great little Pub then.It was famous for serving 50's,half porter half stout. A lot of famous characters drank there. I remember Cha Mullen who could down a pint in seconds. I was in a pub in Rathnew with him after a football match and he called for 4 pints and after the barman served him
Cha called him back and told him there's one short. Cha had downed one of the pints within seconds when the barman went to the till. Cha had some swallow,Lord rest him. Cha often tried the same stunt in the Thatch but they were too wise for him.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Cha Mullins

Postby brandy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Denis
The guy you speak off Cha Mullins would you know if he had a daughter called Margaret, because at that time i was dating Margaret they lived in Kevins villas,i used to drink with them in the tatch most week ends,but the relationship finished in 1974 when i came to wales, dont know what happened to any of them after that
brandy

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Cha came to live in Fitzgerald Park in the early 70's,he was married to Maura Seery and moved up to St. Patrick's Crescent, Maura's mother's house, in early 80's. His eldest daughters would be in their early 40's.
Denis Cromie

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Dennis,
Do you remember an Aisling Doyle who moved to Fitzgerald Pk, Her Da had a shop top of Convent Rd. / Cross Av cannot remember its name..
Her and I were close friends and lost touch overforty years ago...

I played there in the Fifties when it was called 'Mackers' and the Strong Familt lived in the big house, Sarah and Rachel were two of the girls and a real nice family...
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 am

Enviro, I moved into Fitzgerald Park in November 1970 and left 31 December 1985. The name Aisling Doyle doesn't ring a bell. The shop at the top of Convent Rd. use to be Furlongs .It was a general store that sold lovely sweets and in my memory a little more upmarket that Farrell's or Doyles but that was in the 50's. Different owners came into it in the 60's and I couldn't be sure what they sold. I heard of Mackers but I was a Cross Avenuer and Monkstown Farm was out in the" Sticks". :D
Denis Cromie

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

Dennis,

They ate their young in the Farm..... My Grandad Connor said he preferred to fight the Fuzzy Wuzzies in India during his service than go into Carriglea Gdns. He reckoned that 'escapees from the Christian Brothers Prison nearby hid out there and by then they were to quote him, "Feckin Fir Bolg"....
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby spudseamus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 am

:D :D :D yer a head case Enviro!!!!
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 am

spudseamus wrote:yer a head case Enviro!!!!

Head Gasket? :D :D :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 am

Strum wrote:
spudseamus wrote:yer a head case Enviro!!!!

Head Gasket? :D :D :D

a blown one ! :D
spudseamus

Re: Thatch

Postby joey dunlop » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 pm

brandy wrote:HI
Great photo"s Grammer, yes the name Rice rings a bell but not sure if it"s the right bell thanks for your help lads.

Hi grammer,you should remember tony murphy was the manager in the tatch pub in the 70,paddy nephin was a barmen,paddy rice was the last manager in the tatch now in the ramblers.
cheers joey dunlop
joey dunlop

Postby curly65 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Pat doherty,johnnie nevin,Donal o neil,Pat rice all managers at one time.John o brien, Gerry mulligan, myself, bully o connor all worked there under Doherty when the Thatch was the best pub around. Started as a lounge boy when you would have 8 or 10 lounge staff on at the weekends it was so busy.Worst thing that ever happened the Noggin when it closed, caused so many people to move out of the Noggin.After all these years people still talk about it.
curly65

Postby johndle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Pat Doherty now owns The Carrig in Killincarrig Greystones ( formerly The Orchard) not far from DC
always found him to be a Good barman .He was the youngest Manager Madigans ever had when they took
over the Thatch. He was also very lucky to survive a very bad accident on the Noggin Hill when his VW
beetle collided with a lamp post
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I must go up there everyone says he runs a good pub. :D
Denis Cromie

Return to SALLYNOGGIN