Sallynoggin

People, places, stories.

Re:

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Harjoe wrote:Image

Hi lads found a copy of Irish Housewife dated 1950 in a box and looking through it I found an article on houseing in Sallynoggin aperantly it was the blueprint for community houseing back then .
The article was about trying to get people to stay in the country and not to come into he city so Sallynoggin was thought tobe country always said they were coulchies ( Grammer) and they went on to say that with better planning people would stay in their own area.

Here is woodpark on harjoes old cutting...
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Sallynoggin

Postby Gerald » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:55 pm

So, on the map, Woodpark is where the noggin inn is. The photo of the street is either the upper or lower cul de sac in O'Rourke Park.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 am

Hiya Gerald ! Most new estates were named after the " big house " on whose former lands they were built, eg Ballinclea Heights etc built on land owned by Ballinclea House, Ulverton in Dalkey, I'm sure there are plenty more around.
Good work Rocker, we'll have to rename you Ferret :lol: you are just ace at getting info and so quickly as well, thank you thumleft thumleft ( NB ! See I used the left thumb, for the day that's in it, for Grammer and Jemser :lol: :lol: )
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gerald » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 am

Cheers Keeper....and thanks Rocker for your help....btw, I'm somewhat of a leftie myself...bit of a mixed bag really; some things left, some right....what would expect from a libra....
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Am I right in thinking there's been some very low Tides this week? I can smell the Sea clearly up here a few days this week, especially today. :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:11 pm

It was very far out yesterday.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Sinead wrote:It was very far out yesterday.

Sinéad

Us Townies Sinead, can never shake off that smell of the Sea. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:11 pm

You know Michael, it momentarily slipped my mind to look up the Hydrographic Office. Cheers. :lol:
I'll stick with my Nose as a trusted weather forecaster though thanks. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Re:

Postby masterblaster » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Jacqui wrote:Yep, I remember the Belton's Field's well. In the those day's they were great field's to play or hide in ;) :) :)

Hi all,
in the early 50s my brother and I had good reason to remember Beltons fields.we were employed by Dick Belton to pick his spuds ! From 9.00am to 6 pm we done that Backbreaking job five days a week, and were paid 10 bob weekly for our trouble.We were on our holidays from school and were delighted to earn the few bob which was like a kings ransom in those days.Our lunch was a few pieces of bread which was wrapped in newspaper and did it taste good when eaten.The rows of drills seemed to stretch to eternity,were broken into sections, and three people would then pick the spuds as they were unearthed by a horse drawn digger.If there is any job as back-breaking i've yet to come across it.However, to see the smile on the Ma's face helped to salve the poor aching back.If memory serves me rightly Beltons house is now belonging to The Sisters of Cluny school.
masterblaster

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:15 am

2:40am I saw this happening, :o

rob.JPG
rob.JPG (35.28 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:24 pm

What happened Strum,some headcase smash the window cause the place was closed when he arrived up after the pub
Holla

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Holla wrote:What happened Strum,some headcase smash the window cause the place was closed when he arrived up after the pub

Nope Holla, 2:40am. Talk about in and out. No neighbours heard it, and the alarm didn't go off, probably not conneceted to that window, these heads know their stuff.
I was walking the Dogs in the Holy Child grounds and was halfway out the driveway when I heard a loud bang, thought it was a crash first, then saw a lad running around the corner warning the other I was coming, then the other lad came out of that hole in the window with the till drawer and they legged it into the lane at the back, started up a moped, flew down the road and took a left up to Rochestown, and I sht you not, it all happened in less than two minutes. Dressed entirely in black both of them except one dumb fk wore an orange hoodie with white sleeves. No licence plate, and drove off with the lights off.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 am

Terrible to witness. But, the place should have had proper alarm and steel shutters at night. Soft touch. in this day and age.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Rocker wrote:Terrible to witness.

Not really Rocker, there was nothing I could do about it but I was deliberately shouting at my Dog to STAY! and that freaked them out! :twisted: :D

But, the place should have had proper alarm and steel shutters at night. Soft touch. in this day and age.

There's an alarm on the building which didn't go off, the shutters were up and nobody home upstairs? Odd, I thought the previous owner still lives there, I often see her coming out?
The cops were there in four minutes. One stayed to keep an eye on it, and the other flew off after the moped I guess.

I wonder if they respond quicker to a 999 emergency call rather than a direct call to the station :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

What the hells wrong wity anuder revoloyiun?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 pm

Strum wrote:Am I right in thinking there's been some very low Tides this week? I can smell the Sea clearly up here a few days this week, especially today. :?:

It still smells strongly up here and ever more powerful with the heat, BUT I think I've sussed it. It's only when I get up to Thonmastown / Cuala fields that I can smell it, it was puzzling but now I'm thinking maybe they sprayed some seaweed concentrate on the fields? Michael?

Also Rocker remember you asked about huge flocks of birds on Killiney beach and I said I always assumed it was for shoals of fish. Well I've often seen massive flocks in the Sallynoggin and Thomastown fields too, and not native.
So I was reading last week that when you see these huge flocks they are usually migrating and when they all land in huge flocks in fields or the beach like that it's a definite sign of gale force winds on the way and they're taking shelter before the storm. ;) Much more reliable meteoroligists than RTE! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Some activity in DA NOGGIN today. Non-payment protesters at Glenageary roundabout, meeting 5:30pm.

n1.JPG
n1.JPG (120.85 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

And international Boxing championships in Holy Child School. MASSIVE turnout! I just sent about 30 of them to the Noggin Inn, the place is going to be swamped later I reckon.

n2.JPG
n2.JPG (303.5 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Well nothing new there Strum, first a bit of protest, then a few digs exchanged and off to the Noggin Inn afterwards. :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Jemser wrote:Well nothing new there Strum, first a bit of protest, then a few digs exchanged and off to the Noggin Inn afterwards. :lol:

Haha good one Jem. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Jemser wrote:Well nothing new there Strum, first a bit of protest, then a few digs exchanged and off to the Noggin Inn afterwards. :lol:

Jemser :lol: :lol: yis are quick in the noggin.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:50 pm

:D :D :D :D :lol: Good man Jemser. wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:35 pm

I never noticed a plaque in the ground in Sally Glen before. The Dun Laoghaire Lions Club. 1969 - 1999
I had never heard of them so thought I'd give them a mention.

http://www.dunlaoghairelionsclub.ie/index.html
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to SALLYNOGGIN