Re: Sallynoggin

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Nice one Holla. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Well done Holla wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:40 pm

Very good Holla ! I really miss the Bear and The Slops etc. It was a great thread and funny and informative :lol:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 am

keeper wrote:Very good Holla ! I really miss the Bear and The Slops etc. It was a great thread and funny and informative :lol:

Slopshire Drive
Paddington Terrace
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Rochdale but no Leinster ???

And who'd want to live in a street named after a human tragedy anyway?
Herald Of Free Enterprise Parade anyone?
Stardust Drive?

What child is making these decisions?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Micheál wrote:Rochdale but no Leinster ???

And who'd want to live in a street named after a human tragedy anyway?
Herald Of Free Enterprise Parade anyone?
Stardust Drive?

What child is making these decisions?

M.

A very well paid one, if you ever find him/her ...... it seems the sub comittee consulted with naming experts, who in turn did some research and their report was then forwarded to the naming committee who carried out due diligence and referred it to the local area manager, who in turn asked his assistant to run it by their legal team. It was then passed to Eircode for their perusal and then retiurned back to the Council, who reviewed all the comments and forwarded it to the special committee for road naming, they commented before sending it back down the route it arrived ...... errr in facta nobody knows, but the decision to drop Savile Row was agreed by all.

:lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Zirco » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm

Rocker wrote:Honey park is grabbing my attention . Was up there today and it was great to see the cranes and the start of work on the other side of the Glenageary Road. I don't know how many houses are to be built there but there is a lot of work going on.

I had a look at the plans for the Honey park development and was intrigued by the names of the roads,
Brickfield, Burton, Boyd,Marconi, Carnegie,Dargan, Claremont, Rochdale.Must see who they were and their association with the place.

http://www.honeypark.ie/honeypark_new/siteplan.html

Tks rocker, interesting post. I see there is a Burford Drive in Honey Park.....well there's a Burford Bank in outer Dublin Bay.
Ships have to beware of it.
As to who Burford was........don't know. :D :D
The plan just shows development on one side only of Glenageary Road. Wonder how big the new development is on the other side. dontknow
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Strum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Zirco wrote: Wonder how big the new development is on the other side. dontknow

All the way near Corrig Road I think. :?:

The scheme of 28 houses and 577 apartments of up to seven storeys in height is the second phase of a 1,500- strong residential development on the 78-acre site bought by Cosgrave Developments eight years ago.

Construction work on the first phase of 848 units is already under way, and yesterday An Bord Pleanala granted planning permission for 605 more units, saying that despite the lack of an overall plan on how the area should be developed, it constituted 'proper' planning.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:19 pm

Strum wrote:
Zirco wrote: Wonder how big the new development is on the other side. dontknow

All the way near Corrig Road I think. :?:

The scheme of 28 houses and 577 apartments of up to seven storeys in height is the second phase of a 1,500- strong residential development on the 78-acre site bought by Cosgrave Developments eight years ago.

Construction work on the first phase of 848 units is already under way, and yesterday An Bord Pleanala granted planning permission for 605 more units, saying that despite the lack of an overall plan on how the area should be developed, it constituted 'proper' planning.

Tks Strum wuu wuu wuu
Wow, it's a BIG development.
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Micheál » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:27 pm

But no green space provided for that would be sufficiently big to accomodate playing our National Sports.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Micheál wrote:But no green space provided for that would be sufficiently big to accomodate playing our National Sports.

M.

It's nuts Michael. Green space hahaha, green space to "them" means space for building.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:12 am

I was going to post during the week about 7 cranes now in Honeypark but that's a bit obvious, but today read that residents are furious from the noise of machinery from Sallynoggin all the way down to Royal terrace. The row is about the hours of building to be extended to 10pm. Wow that's some daily racket eh? 7am - 10pm.
Won't be long before the area is like a mini town.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 am

That is daft Strum. I haven't been around there at night but, they must have huge lighting from 6p.m as it is dark here then. Imagine the workplace accidents !! They seem to be shifting a lot of earth, I've just noticed mounds of clay when I have driven by.

Poor residents. I was nearly driven mad in my estate in the Celtic Tiger years when everyone got an extension at the one time but, that noise and dirt would only be chicken feed to what is happening at Honeypark.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Rocker wrote:That is daft Strum. I haven't been around there at night but, they must have huge lighting from 6p.m as it is dark here then. Imagine the workplace accidents !! They seem to be shifting a lot of earth, I've just noticed mounds of clay when I have driven by.

Poor residents. I was nearly driven mad in my estate in the Celtic Tiger years when everyone got an extension at the one time but, that noise and dirt would only be chicken feed to what is happening at Honeypark.

Actually that was another complaint Rocker, the floodlights. People were saying their kids were out playing football late and it's like daytime. The article is on the front page of the latest Southside news. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Is there not a limit on the start and finish times on buildings sites?

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Sinead wrote:Is there not a limit on the start and finish times on buildings sites?

No idea Sinead but it appears that a little wink wink to the CoCo can get you permission regardless of the local resident concerns. um...

I don't understand the concrete pouring process. Is it vital it all goes in at the same time or can it not be done in layers? Just curious.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Just curious is all folks, I'll let Skins Google it haha, but Michael and Sputnik's posts about addresses reminded of this. Is there more to it than postal codes?
For instance I got a letter here in Sallynoggin for somebody who doesn't exist here, addressed to "street" I thought it might have been for somebody on "road" so off I went to look for the house to post it and everything around here as you may know, is Pearse street, road, park, villas, gardens, etc but numbers below a hundred for Pearse Road don't exist at all and they go up to something like into the 400's, not sure about that top number because I gave up looking, but even all the doors I knocked on looking for it are baffled themselves because there's only about a hundred houses on Pearse Road, so my question is what was the story with this property numbering system around here. :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby jabra » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 pm

There is no mystery regarding the house numbering in the Pearses in the noggin.It starts with No 1 in Pearse Close ends up in the 500's in Pearse Villas.
There was total confusion back In the early 1950's as the Corpo of the time in their wisdom did not number the houses straight through as they are now.
So we had a No 10 pearse Close also No 10 Pearse Pk Pearse rd ,Ave, st, Green Villas . My house was originally No 27 Pearse Rd now its in the 200's so you
can imagine the confusion with the milkman insurance man bread man all the callers kicked up a stink so the Corpo changed it to the system we have today. I don't find a problem with it. By the way there is a double up of numbers on Sallynoggin Rd Upper and Lower so if you don't specify say upper
the mail could end up in lower Sallynoggin Rd.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 am

Brilliant Jabra, phew at last a proper explanation, thanks for that. See Skins, who needs Google? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:43 am

In Kildare, I think all public housing schemes were numbered 1 to whatever-you're-having- yourself. So house numbers in the 1,000's are not uncommon

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:47 am

Micheál wrote:In Kildare, I think all public housing schemes were numbered 1 to whatever-you're-having- yourself. So house numbers in the 1,000's are not uncommon

M

It occurred to me (and touched on in another post here) that the above quoted numbering scheme has advantages over the usual scheme, i.e., say there's a road, avenue, drive and green in a particular estate. Then you have four number 10s, four number 11s four number 12s etc.
This puts an onus on the postman to know which road he is on....is this the Green? or the Drive I'm on? As he goes around an estate, it's easy to lose track.

Having a scheme where there is only one unique number used for each house in the whole estate removes the need for the postman to remember what road he is on. The postman only needs to check the unique house number. It makes his job easier and results in fewer posting errors.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Most postpeople don't need numbers an name is usually enough. I've delivered post with just Joe Doaks,Blackrock and I'm sure it's the same for most postpeople.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Fri May 06, 2016 1:14 pm

If anybody is interested. Sounds good.

Paul Kestral and Black Cormorant Books Present, Thursday June 9th in the Irish Writers Centre Parnell Square, Launch of twelve new short stories set in Sallynoggin between 1960 and 1985. All welcome, starts at 6.30pm.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:46 pm

The driller drilled, and the man in the suit consulted the planners; the labourers dug, their sweat stealing moisture from the clay. A long line of trenches spanned acres… the foreman dreamed of concrete; rows and rows of concrete… dig dig dig, till the architect smiled, and the missionaries scaled the proverbial mountain and mounted a cross.

The church would oversee everything… nothing, not even life of the tiniest scale, would go unseen.

How they must have melted in the heat, with the firepower available, to visit bedrooms late at night and make sure the sexual antics were for procreation only. Large signs were erected saying so… “and for those of you who don’t understand Latin”, and it was good, and people were born and bred in these concrete fields.

I was no different; no different than the lamb, or the pig, or the cow. I was born in an outhouse on the periphery of the Noggin.

My companion is confused as we step into the playing fields; these waterlogged fields from long ago.

She has the camera, she wonders what I am looking for. “A shot of the church,” I tell her, “it says all about Sallynoggin,” the big yellow church, and then I tell her, “some families brought up 14 children in these two-bed houses.” She swallows in disbelief, then captures this really great shot.

I want to tell her about the red bus and how all has changed. They have banked the field and the GAA have left. Now “Joes” have the use of all the pitches.

I see myself jumping from the red bus and racing into the field full of daises… a boy of seven collects flowers, a gift to his mother, a safe delight as she opens the front door. Oh yes, the red bus, and watching like a hawk so as not to miss the stop.

We are leaving, mission accomplished, but what I am looking at is in miniature. The drillmaster is finished; he has created the final scene.

It is a typical Noggin day blackened by the moist air churning up the dirt.

So they have cleaned the pigs’ field, putting in fences for show jumping, yet my memory is of prohibition, rats and weed.

I tell my companion how lucky we were to live so close to the wild west; we could walk to Killiney Hill in a half an hour, over fields where strong bulls sported rings through their nose. But then a better class of concrete was poured and the trail to Mullins Hill and Killiney was changed forever.

That mattered not as the sociologist wakes; the Noggin actually had a middle class; a wannabe middle class, a working class and you won’t believe me but a type of underclass to go with it.

Humanity moves slowly; the spy in the church steeple looked on at folk tending to their slice of field.

Nogginers by Paul Kestell was launched last week at the Irish Writers Centre.
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to SALLYNOGGIN