Sallynoggin

People, places, stories.

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am

brandy wrote
Hi Grammer
Just being reading through some past posts and noticed you knew
(ringer)Dermot Ring I used to work with him in Martins Garage in
Tivoli Terrace in 1969, also you lived in Dominic St. I was born in 13 Dominic St in 1952, my mothers maiden name was Kinsella.

hi brandy -sorry NO -id did not live in Domnic st., sorry if I gave you that impression
I knew dermot to say hello to -he was a great photographer ---
grammer

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi Brandy,
I was the one that lived in Dominick St. I knew Dermot, he lived in Desmond Ave,his younger brother was David and older brother was Paul. David emigrated but I'm not sure to where and Paul worked as a fireman in Dun Laoghaire. As far as I'm aware Dermot died a little while ago but I wouldn't be absolutely sure so hopefully I'm wrong. Grammer is right about Dermot, great photographer.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 pm

hi gang -

yeh unfortunely dermot did pass away some years ago -R>I>P
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Lads
Dermot Ring was in the same class as me in Eblana check out Bro Burkes class in my photos
Became a wedding photographer in later years and lived in Ballybrack before he died must be ten or twelve years ago now.
I have in the back of my mind that he lived in Mary Street about the second up from the gap coming from Libarary Road but Denis may know better.

Denis he was another of our comic swaps in the fifties along with Tommy Tallant,Noel Lewins, Mick Lamkin, Richard Cummins , Mick Mooney, Gerry Daly, Kevin Furlong, Paul Kelly Eddie Ryan etc etc
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Jacqui wrote:Great Photo F/B, Could that be Mat Kane, that's standing beside the Priest. Not sure ? :???:

Hi Jacqui, thanks for the comment. I unfortunately dont know for sure anyone else in the photo, I,m hoping that people like yourself might put a name to a couple of people there. My father was born in 1911 and I,m guessing he was no more than early 20,s in that pic. That would date it at around 1933 ish. over 75 years ago. He had many friends but in latter years he would meet up with two men from the Noggin for their daily walk. One was Tommy Kelly, one of the taxi people and the other was Tommy Kenny. The three of them at that time would have been in their 70,s and I was always sorry I didnt get a photo of them walking along with their identical grey raincoats!
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

hey farmboy
One was Tommy Kelly, one of the taxi people and the other was Tommy Kenny. The three of them at that time would have been in their 70,s and I was always sorry I didnt get a photo of them walking along with their identical grey raincoats!

re the above Iwonder was the Tommy Kelly from Sarsfield St. (he was a relation of my mothers) tIf im on the right track they used to drink in the Deerhunter -was Tommy Kenny a postman??? they used to drink there on the early evening shift :D
grammer

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 am

Harjoe wrote:Hi Lads
Dermot Ring was in the same class as me in Eblana check out Bro Burkes class in my photos
Became a wedding photographer in later years and lived in Ballybrack before he died must be ten or twelve years ago now.
I have in the back of my mind that he lived in Mary Street about the second up from the gap coming from Libarary Road but Denis may know better.

Denis he was another of our comic swaps in the fifties along with Tommy Tallant,Noel Lewins, Mick Lamkin, Richard Cummins , Mick Mooney, Gerry Daly, Kevin Furlong, Paul Kelly Eddie Ryan etc etc

They could have lived there before moving to Desmond Ave. Dermot was not into sport or street games but always had a good sense of humour. I didn't know him as well as his brother David who was very much into the street games. I remember his Dad who had a badly curved back and to see him walking nearly doubled over was very sad.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Dermot Ring

Postby brandy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Grammer
Thanks for the info on Dermot he was a good friend of mine when we worked together Heart of gold true what they say
the good go first R.I.P.
brandy

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Amen to that brandy--
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi F/b
Just saw photo now never seen that one before maybe St Kevins who would have been one of the first teams in Sallynoggin seems like early 1930s but I must check if I can match up some faces with photos that I have .
Do you know what team it was ?
send me a P M with your fathers name and I will check in my stuff

As for one of the men being Matt Kane I knew Matt very well and I dont think you would ever see him in a soccer photo he was G A A through and through , He was agreat man for promoting Irish remeber the Cealhi Dances he ran in the Town Hall my first ever dances ah more memories .
I drove his camogie teams for many years they only time Matt got involved with Pearse Rovers after his son Ray started playing
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi harjoe, I,m nearly certain it is St Kevins boys, it would be great to find out more about the other lads in the photo, hope you have some success there.

Grammer, I think you are right about those two men, I will phone the mother in the morning and she should know for sure. My father wasnt a drinking man so he wouldnt have met them in the pub on any of their sessions.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

H i Farmboy -just read back -my mistake there - :oops: :oops:
the tommy kelly you mentioned -the taxi driver -not the same man I mentioned-I remember tommy kelly the taximan ------
grammer

Postby farmboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 pm

:oops: Grammer, although the Tommy Kelly the taximan I mentioned was indeed a good friend of my fathers, the Tommy Kelly who used walk with him and Tommy Kenny was actually a different Tommy Kelly and did indeed live in Sarsfield Street. :oops: So, inadvertantly you alluded to the (most likely) the correct Tommy Kelly in the first place! :D Complicated isnt it? :roll: Tommy Kenny was indeed a postman as you said and the other Tommy (not the taximan) :roll: was I think a single man but had a sister who lived locally, maybe even in the same house for all I know. ;-)
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby mennis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi newgirl09, Don,t know if its to late replying to your question about the O,malley,s in Dominick Street, Yeah i know them quite well, so well in fact I married one of them... And as for John Morrison I meet him on a regular basis. Johns Mother died a couple of weeks ago, and i didnt find out till the day after she was buried. So the Dun Laoghaire grapevine is not all its made out to be.
mennis

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 am

farmboy wrote::oops: Grammer, although the Tommy Kelly the taximan I mentioned was indeed a good friend of my fathers, the Tommy Kelly who used walk with him and Tommy Kenny was actually a different Tommy Kelly and did indeed live in Sarsfield Street. :oops: So, inadvertantly you alluded to the (most likely) the correct Tommy Kelly in the first place! :D Complicated isnt it? :roll: Tommy Kenny was indeed a postman as you said and the other Tommy (not the taximan) :roll: was I think a single man but had a sister who lived locally, maybe even in the same house for all I know. ;-)

:D :D :D :D :D

Are yez sure it wasn't Tommy Kennedy? :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wait until you move to "the little willow on the hill" and see how you get on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yeh'll be a real "gossiper" after a couple of months :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:36 am

Fk mate, I'm trying to keep my head dowen alreddy...Time will tell...

Sent to the fkn Noggin for my Sins. Can you believe it? :shock: :D

I'm actually really looking forward to it. A new door opened.
My Dogs are just going to LOVE our new walks! :D :D :D :D :D :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:44 am

Strum wrote:My Dogs are just going to LOVE our new walks!

MY first worry was craps, not my worries, their craps?
Not the locals, their crap.
I have several solutions. ;-)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jacqui » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:22 am

Solutions :roll: Willow on the BIG hill ;-) :mrgreen:
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Strum,
Does that mean that you are one of us "Nogginers" at last..Congrats mate

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Snobby git :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QCeOaN ... e=related#

Best of luck Strum, you know you can do it.
jordo

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Enviro500 wrote:Does that mean that you are one of us "Nogginers" at last..

Ahahahaha! A Townie like me into a Willowonthelittlehill-er! :D
Are ye kiddin'? Never man. :down:
Was I a Loglinstowener here for the last eight years or so? :D

I'm a "Townie" man. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jacqui » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:10 am

Brilliant Jordo, That was great, what a laugh :D :D
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I had the greatest laugh with an old friend from willow on the little hump last night.
Yeah I actually know some of them haha! :D

He's going to get me a Baby Willow tree :mrgreen:

Keep your eye out on the Roundabout at the top of the Noggín! :D :D :D ;-) ;-) :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jacqui » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 am

Hi Strum, I'll keep me eye on that ;-) Might be back out that way for good :D :cool:
Jacqui
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to SALLYNOGGIN