Sallynoggin

People, places, stories.

Re: Sallynoggin

Postby Holla » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 am

I remember being sent to lynskys for mantilas for the women of the family when my father died.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am

Holla wrote:I remember being sent to lynskys for mantilas for the women of the family when my father died.

Gosh, Id forgotten all about mantillas!! I remember wearing them for a long number of years.

You have just reminded me...when my father died I was wearing my St patrick's day green bow and I was dispatched to Fergusons in Blackrock to get a black ribbon for my hair. No one actually asked small children how they felt about a death or if they were able for the chores heaped upon them !!nowadays the children would be ringing "childline". A lot of truncated childhoods in my time !!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm

How did any of us 'just get on with it'? We did, there was nothing else we or our families could do.
Mourning was short because it had to be figured out how things would work from the death into the
future.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Sinead wrote:How did any of us 'just get on with it'? We did, there was nothing else we or our families could do.
Mourning was short because it had to be figured out how things would work from the death into the
future.

Sinéad

spot on Sinead,

With no pensions it was a daily worry getting enough for that day but, somehow or other we all managed between paper rounds, babysitting, cleaning houses, cutting grass for 6d, wheeling out the baby for 1d...finding pennies on the street!! I still look for those :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 am

Rocker wrote;

finding pennies on the street!! I still look for those :lol: :lol:

Don't you dare to come to Greystones,that's my patch. :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am

Denis Cromie wrote:Rocker wrote;

finding pennies on the street!! I still look for those :lol: :lol:

Don't you dare to come to Greystones,that's my patch. :lol:

I'm sure I've told it before but, during the mad Celtic tiger times the nouveau riche in the Rock were too important to park their supermarket trollies....they just left them with the Euro in them. I started collecting them and returning them...in no time I had 50 euros which I gave to the hospice. One morning I arrived for my "look around" and there were two "new Irish" tidying the place. I was going to yell "thats my patch" but, they were bigger than me :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to SALLYNOGGIN