Sallynoggin progress

People, places, stories.

Re: Sallynoggin progress

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Well silly ole me decided to go to Chadwicks in Sallynoggin yesterday....big mistake....stuck in a traffic jam for twenty minutes. One side of the roadway outside Woodies is dug up...services for the new Lidl and there must have been thirty fellows in yellow jackets hanging around but no one managing the one way traffic which was chaotic...went to DPL instead...after the half hour wait in traffic....forgotten just how good DPL is.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Is the Lidl entrance at Woodies?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Strum wrote:Is the Lidl entrance at Woodies?

No, it's further down closer to the Deerhunter location. All the perimeter fencing is down atm and you can see the new roadway.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks Ger. I had thought it was going to be the old Deerhunter entrance but that wouldn't have been practical.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Re. Lidl...anyone hear of the opening day? Looks like they're taking in stock now.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Gerald wrote:Re. Lidl...anyone hear of the opening day? Looks like they're taking in stock now.

A security guy said Thursday.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:53 pm

It occurred to me that this view mustn't have been exposed like this for a long long time because before the Deerhunter this was factories wasn't it, and then the row of Cottages that were demolished must have been there since the 50's? Is there something planned for this open area now?

Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Strum wrote:It occurred to me that this view mustn't have been exposed like this for a long long time because before the Deerhunter this was factories wasn't it, and then the row of Cottages that were demolished must have been there since the 50's? Is there something planned for this open area now?

There is planning permission for a nursing home and medical centre but when building would start on those I don't know. With the ground leveled off and tidied up, it suggests a delay.

What about the site at the Workmen's club on Rochestown Ave.? I heard they were building houses there, but it was just leveled and left; been that way for a few months now.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Its interesting how quickly and effectively Mr Lidl could build his new Sallynoggin shop .... when compared with the time taken to put up a few houses for the homeless. dontknow
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Toss wrote:Its interesting how quickly and effectively Mr Lidl could build his new Sallynoggin shop .... when compared with the time taken to put up a few houses for the homeless. dontknow

Different kettle of fish....an investment as opposed to a lifelong heartache which few want to embrace. There are so many problems out there. Homelessness is being used to describe so many different problems. The cure is not the house but curing the problem. Who has ever got to the root of the problem? who knows how to cure it? Is it better education system, better family support, better jobs training, better drugs awareness programmes, better relationships councelling,better drink awareness, I could gather family and friends who have fallen through the cracks and a house will not sort them. It may get them out of the public eye but the irish society problem is ingrained!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 pm

You're so right Rocker.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Toss » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:48 am

Rocker wrote:
Toss wrote:Its interesting how quickly and effectively Mr Lidl could build his new Sallynoggin shop .... when compared with the time taken to put up a few houses for the homeless. dontknow

Different kettle of fish....an investment as opposed to a lifelong heartache which few want to embrace. There are so many problems out there. Homelessness is being used to describe so many different problems. The cure is not the house but curing the problem. Who has ever got to the root of the problem? who knows how to cure it? Is it better education system, better family support, better jobs training, better drugs awareness programmes, better relationships councelling,better drink awareness, I could gather family and friends who have fallen through the cracks and a house will not sort them. It may get them out of the public eye but the irish society problem is ingrained!!

While I agree with your point regarding the myriad of problems attached to homelessness, there are genuine families out there who have had their home's taken off them by the banks that our Government backed. These families have no addictions or mental health issues, they are victims of the bankers greed. I see no reason why taxpayers money should not be 'invested' in the building of council houses as a priority and once that is done ... then the more difficult work can be focused on and lets not forget that not every homeless person wants a home. I walked down Grafton St the other day and was unable to take more than 5/6 steps without a collection bucket being shook in front of me..... no wonder our Government sit on their hands, they dont need to do anything as no real pressure is applied and theres so many charities out there doing the work for them. If all those connected to these collections were to protest outside Leinster House every day, then I reckon we would soon see real change .... but theres no money to be made in protesting eh ;)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 am

Got down at last to visit the new Aldi in Sallynoggin. I'm not used to shopping at Aldi so found it a bit higgidly piggidy but it will be a boon to the local houses who now can just stroll over the road to get the shopping.

Big plus was meeting another member of this site in the car park wuu wuu our HID's were blue with the cold while we chatted :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 am

Of course I never have a camera....the display of flowers at the roundabout are magnificent....blues and yellows in large beds Wow!!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Not Sallynoggin but close enough.

I was going to make a joke recently about so many crap drivers in Killiney S/C car park bumping into this wall over the years that it eventually collapsed. What I really thought was that they were making a handy walkway through to the new Sallyglen Rd Bus Stop, BUT I was right the first time.
Soooo...so many crap drivers in Killiney S/C car park bumping into this wall over the years that it eventually collapsed. :lol:
Can't believe that they didn't leave a little gap for the bus stop because It's rebuilt now.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:48 pm

A small gap would make sense but - they are probably afraid of claims.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 pm

I don't know about that Sinead because if you follow the wall there's two gaps through further along, so why not make one here, makes perfect sense for the Bus Stop. :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 am

Strum:

The other openings were probably part of the original planning permission. A new opening might well require such permission.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Holla » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:48 am

A gap for the bus stop would make sence but then they'd loose parking spaces also the other gaps are level with the footpath, a gap at the bustop probably would need steps which are not great for access and a big public liability issue not that we have a claims culture $$$ :(
Holla

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Ok fair enough. :D
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to SALLYNOGGIN