Killiney Hill Obelisk

Photographs and Images from around Killiney

Killiney Hill Obelisk

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Out yesterday on the hill and had an opportunity of a lifrtime, The dlrcoco were putting the finishing touches to the Obelisk which has been fully restored so with a door open and given the invite to look about and just happened to have a few cameras with me ...i got busy took 200 pic's in all ....I dont think the Obelisk will be ever open to the public to view so here is some of the pic's i took

A landmark that sits proudly on Killiney Hill the Obelisk was built by John Malpas in the1740s to provide employment for the local population during a period of famine. A feature on the skyline, it also provides some of the best views in Ireland. 'it is arguably one of the most important follies ever built in Ireland'.
A Picture before any work was carried out

The finished Project

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:45 pm

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:47 pm

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 pm

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:51 pm

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:53 pm

ted

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 pm

Special word of thanks to :

Mr Tom Byrne & Tom Kelly for allowing me access to photograph the Obelisk
ted

Postby Opal » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:33 pm

WOW!! :shock: How lucky was that!!??

Fabulous photo's Ted!!!
Opal

Postby ted » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Thank Opal
Just been in the right place at the right time i recon
ted

Re: Killiney Hill Obelisk

Postby Kav » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:09 pm

ted wrote:Out yesterday on the hill and had an opportunity of a lifrtime, The dlrcoco were putting the finishing touches to the Obelisk which has been fully restored so with a door open and given the invite to look about and just happened to have a few cameras with me ...i got busy took 200 pic's in all ....I dont think the Obelisk will be ever open to the public to view so here is some of the pic's i took

Talk about been in the right place. at the right time :cool:
Thanks for sharing you're stunning photos with us ted :D
Kav
Advanced Member

Postby spudseamus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:16 am

Who owns it ? and why isnt it open to da public? would be a great money spinner --great pics Ted
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby ted » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:57 am

spudseamus wrote:Who owns it ? and why isnt it open to da public? would be a great money spinner --great pics Ted

Thanks kav
Spud: I dont know who owns it but with the dlcoco doing all the refurbishments i would say they are in charge of its care:
Quote Press release :
Thursday 24th August 2006:

"This Heritage Week Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council is undertaking a number of key conservation projects that will contribute significantly to the country's heritage," says Cllr Eugene Regan, Cathaoirleach, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. "The Obelisk on Killiney Hill and the 1880 Clock Tower on the Town Hall in Dun Laoghaire, are among the national treasures being refurbished by the Council."

both projects are now comlpeted and credit due to them they did a great job on both
as for visits to the obelisk when i was inside taking photo's i was amazed ...it is really small inside 4 people would be a crowd... rough estimate it's 8ft sq ... floor space inside
all we can do it wait and see what they plan to do
ted

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 pm

Ted your pics are the dogs whatits!Did yer get a season ticket??
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby *stargazer* » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:01 am

Ted, your pictures are marvellous !!! Often wondered what was inside...?
*stargazer*

Postby Snowhite » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Fab Pic's as always Ted........nice of Tom Byrne to let you have a look inside, I'll be seeing him soon and I'll tell what great Pic's you got. Well Done :clap:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby ted » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Snowhite wrote:Fab Pic's as always Ted........nice of Tom Byrne to let you have a look inside, I'll be seeing him soon and I'll tell what great Pic's you got. Well Done :clap:

welcome back showhite: i know tom a lonnnnnnnnnnng time he was busy on the day getting thing's in order i emailed prints to him
ted

Postby Snowhite » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 pm

ted wrote:
Snowhite wrote:Fab Pic's as always Ted........nice of Tom Byrne to let you have a look inside, I'll be seeing him soon and I'll tell what great Pic's you got. Well Done :clap:

welcome back showhite: i know tom a lonnnnnnnnnnng time he was busy on the day getting thing's in order i emailed prints to him

Thanks Ted its nice to be back, feckin cold though. :roll: I thought you would know him alright, Tom is an grand man so I know he will be thrilled to get your pic's, it was Tom that gave me the old postcards of D/L and the aerial pics of the park.He has a load of old pics, but when i get to see him it's usually for a few :shots: .Will have to go up a bit earlier next time and suss a few more out from him. ;-)
Snowhite

Postby spudseamus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:35 am

Snowhite wrote:
ted wrote:

Thanks Ted its nice to be back, feckin cold though. :roll: I thought you would know him alright, Tom is an grand man so I know he will be thrilled to get your pic's, it was Tom that gave me the old postcards of D/L and the aerial pics of the park.He has a load of old pics, but when i get to see him it's usually for a few :shots: .Will have to go up a bit earlier next time and suss a few more out from him. ;-)

what !! ya mean ya get wasted ?? :D
spudseamus

Postby farmboy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:41 am

Great shots of the Obelisk Ted, lovely to see the inside for a change. :cool:
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Chiropodist » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:56 pm

In all the times I have been up to the top of Killiney Hill,I never realised that people could actually go inside it . I noticed a door there last time but thougft it was just a storeroom.
Chiropodist

Postby Snowhite » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Chiropodist wrote:In all the times I have been up to the top of Killiney Hill,I never realised that people could actually go inside it . I noticed a door there last time but thougft it was just a storeroom.

Dont think the public have access to the Obelisk.....In Ted's case I think it was Who you know that got him inside :D ;-)
Snowhite

Postby Opal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Snowhite wrote:
Chiropodist wrote:In all the times I have been up to the top of Killiney Hill,I never realised that people could actually go inside it . I noticed a door there last time but thougft it was just a storeroom.

Dont think the public have access to the Obelisk.....In Ted's case I think it was Who you know that got him inside :D ;-)

I think he was in the right place at the right time and being a Bold young man :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby ted » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 pm

lol like the part young... the rest was luck
ted

Killiney Hill Obelisk

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 pm

I could kick myself for not getting in to it on my last visit but,I didnt know it was possible to get inside and actually go up stairs to view from the top. This whole area should have been developed as a tourist area by the Rathdown Council. Have none of them got any imagination. Some celebs have settled in the Sorrento area so it must have something going for it.
Chiropodist

Postby Snowhite » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:28 pm

You can't go into the Obelisk Chirop, Ted was lucky to know someone who could let him in and take a few photo's. ;-)
Snowhite

Next

Return to KILLINEY.