Cherrywood

Photographs and Images from around Killiney

Cherrywood

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am

Had the pleasure!! of leaving someone to the Luas in Brides Glen this morning and wow the traffic, building, crowds around Cherrywood. Thought as it will be a new city in the Boro we should start a topic for it.

Hello Cherrywood....we see you growing......

check out this site,

http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/

here is development land

http://www.cherrywood.ie/development-land/
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Cherrywood

Postby Toss » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 am

Cherrywood is a disaster waiting to happen thanks to our town planners as far as I'm concerned .... yes the idea may have been good ten years ago, but their failure to provide the proper infrastructure and control how the southside is being developed will see it becoming an even bigger traffic nightmare for everyone. The building of huge office blocks at Leopardstown continues at pace in Central Park around the Clayton Hotel and racecourse area. Cherrywood is already causing major traffic / transport issues, I wonder what these expert planners expect think will happen when it comes to full completion ? as it stands right now, some young kids on the Luas line can't even get to school without leaving their houses at 7am for a 9pm start a few miles away because the carriges are full before it gets to their stop from 7.30am ! its a disgrace, but this is all ignored or guffawed away by the Council as their main agenda is generating more money in rates / taxes etc and not how joe public is going to cope.

The gross stupidty or incompetence is amazing as all these experts have reams of qualifications and not an ounce of sense when it come to future proofing a project .... look at how they messed up the Luas, spending fortunes on carraiges that are longer than the platforms in use and that cannot cross streets with causing a blockage ! look at the money spent on a second terminal at the airport ensuring that Dublin remains a one sided city for egress by air ..... how hard would it have been to use common sense and develop a second airport out past Bray that would service the ever growing numbers on that side of the city ? these people hide behind costings that suit their agenda, but then reality kicks in when it too late and we end up with total gridlock. I would go so far as to say that the M50 is no longer fit for purpose thanks to the over crowding of Dublin and its surrounds, ask anyone trying to get past Bray at 5pm every weekday ? its a nightmare and about to get worse.

I'm all for creating jobs and stimulating local economies, but not in already crowded areas that struggle with transport issues .... there is no need to build up, build out and spread the burden (and the wealth).
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:11 pm

I hadn't realised that DLR Properties is owned by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co.

Chairperson’s statement
"We at DLR Properties Ltd are passionate about developing a state of the art office park in South County Dublin’s most desirable business location. We already have 200,000 sq ft of exceptional quality office accommodation with blue-chip tenants in Cherrywood and, with the approval of our Urban Form Development Framework, will have the facility to develop a further 1.4m sq ft of commercial accommodation on our Town Centre lands in the very near future. As a company, owned by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council, we are dedicated to creating sustainable quality developments, attractive to progressive businesses and are committed to working with our tenants to deliver bespoke accommodation which is directly suited to their needs.."

http://www.cherrywood.ie/about-us/

Their site says.....
Cherrywood will become a major new residential and employment centre in Dublin. This has been recognized by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council as the area is designated a Strategic Development Zone. It was acknowledged that in order to achieve a significant scale of development, in a sustainable manner, a highly coordinated approach to development by Landowners and service providers would be required. "Fast track" planning is the result and stakeholders can be assured that planning applications will be granted (subject to conditions), so long as they are consistent with the Planning Scheme.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:41 am

Toss wrote:[...]... how hard would it have been to use common sense and develop a second airport out past Bray that would service the ever growing numbers on that side of the city ? [...] I would go so far as to say that the M50 is no longer fit for purpose thanks to the over crowding of Dublin and its surrounds, ask anyone trying to get past Bray at 5pm every weekday ? [...] .

Hmmm . So would the new airport be reserved exclusively for Wiclow/Wexford/Carlow folk? Maybe with a hard border at Fassaroe? dontknow

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 am

Micheál wrote:Maybe with a hard border at Fassaroe? dontknow

M.

Ha ha thats an enclave .... a helicopter pad will be needed :P
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am

Toss wrote:Cherrywood is a disaster waiting to happen thanks to our town planners as far as I'm concerned .... yes the idea may have been good ten years ago, but their failure to provide the proper infrastructure and control how the southside is being developed will see it becoming an even bigger traffic nightmare for everyone.
I would go so far as to say that the M50 is no longer fit for purpose thanks to the over crowding of Dublin and its surrounds, ask anyone trying to get past Bray at 5pm every weekday ? its a nightmare and about to get worse.

Have to agree with you there Toss. I don't live too far from Cherrywood and initially when the luas came to Brides Glen I thought thats a white elephant. But, with the recession and NAMA and the sell off of various lands the place has taken off...again in bits here and bits there and no great traffic management plan...as far as I can see..(from Wyateville they have actually narrowed the roads to make a bicycle lane and slow traffic to Cherrywood and the M50.!!!...so bottleneck is up to Graduate on a bad day!!!)
You are right about the gridlock on the M50. I would never dream of going to Bray after about 2pm and if I'm stuck coming from Tallagh towards Bray anytime after 4pm I pull my hair out!!.........sounds like I should put this on the moan topic.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 am

Poor Cherrywood is in the news today for all the wrong reasons.

Terrible abduction of woman on the outskirts of Enniskerry and then fatal shooting of the suspect by the Gardaí at Cherrywood. Still no word of the abducted woman. We can only hope and pray.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Rocker wrote:Poor Cherrywood is in the news today for all the wrong reasons.

Terrible abduction of woman on the outskirts of Enniskerry and then fatal shooting of the suspect by the Gardaí at Cherrywood. Still no word of the abducted woman. We can only hope and pray.

Just another day in Paradise .... sadly its all too commonplace (even that child getting raped and murdered in Lucan is brushed away by the next news item), this is what happens when people bury their heads in the sand and dont dare ask questions for fear of rocking the political boat. next politician you meet ... ask them do they think the unrestrained flow of TV/Media violence into Irish homes for decades has helped create some of the monsters we have roaming around our streets today ???

My sympathy goes to the inocent and their families, they are all victims of a society that pretends to care yet does nothing other than talk, talk, talk and issue policies as if that would solve anything.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Mon May 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Wow some story and a lot of questions to be asked. Shot several times for wielding a knife sounds a bit like american cop justice, shoot first ask later.
Her body has been found up near the smelting tower. Devastating for her parents. Poor girl. :(
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Strum wrote:Wow some story and a lot of questions to be asked. Shot several times for wielding a knife sounds a bit like american cop justice, shoot first ask later.
Her body has been found up near the smelting tower. Devastating for her parents. Poor girl. :(

What a terrible end for a girl who had probably come to Ireland for a better life. May she rest in peace. Her family must be devastated.

It is going to make us all very wary of walking on lonely stretches of roads. He must have had intent as he had a knife in the car! His poor wife and children forever branded with his crime.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon May 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Sorry Rocker A body has been found, not sure if it's the missing girl, conflicting stories.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Tragic beyond words, who ever thought that events like these would happen almost on a weekly basis in Ireland, it was a rare occurrence in our day, but now we seem to be almost blasé about news like this. Toss is correct, these murders and rapes a few days wonder for the media, next one please, Paradise is right :twisted:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm

What a world Keeper. :| :roll:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Dancer » Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am

I felt physically sick this evening when I heard that a body had been found .
What possesses a man to go out and do something like that ??
I just can’t get my head around it . He was married and a father himself .
God love her and her family and friends R.I.P icon_pale
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Sinead » Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 am

Strum, perhaps the Gardai believed the girl was in the car when the abductor was weilding the knife around in the car and they hoped to save her. It is difficult for us, who were not on the spot, to understand the necessity for the Gardai to act as they did. I was not in the country when this happened, I read about it on the internet.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 am

I know Sinead, waiting to hear the circumstances behind the shooting.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 pm

One shot, aimed at shoulder to incapacitate target, unlucky that it ricocheted from the shoulder bone to sever artery. Pity the detective who took the decision to shoot, he's been put on trial by social media, I for one support his action.
keeper

Postby Toss » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 pm

keeper wrote:I for one support his action.

'#me too' ;) ...

Its a split second decision and once a weapon was waved by the killer, it became a serious matter where a moments hesitation could have cost an innocent life.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:58 am

Well I hear the planning is passed for the development of housing at Cherrywood. Wonder what the prices will be. A friend queued in Shankill the other day with 70 others and as they waited the price of the second hand house went up another 50,000. Unreal stuff for very ordinary three bedroomed houses.

At least they were sunburned while they waited!!

http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/residential/

Wonder what the services charges will be. They will need millions to keep it in any decent shape when it is built. Garden, walkways, security! Wonder if they will let the people put their washing on the balconies. I was shocked when I went to visit someone in a Council apartment in Honey park and they have to dry clothes in one of the two rooms!! No wonder they don't use cloth nappies anymore!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to KILLINEY.