Parish of The Holy Trinity Killiney.

Photographs and Images from around Killiney

Parish of The Holy Trinity Killiney.

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 pm

I have passed this church countless times both at the front and the back but never ventured in. I picked up on the fact that 2009 was its 150th anniversary so decided to pay a visit on the last day of their year and it was …….. closed.

Funny thing is that the shield over the door reads 1858.

Apparently these footpath designs made from quartz and limestone pebbles were very fashionable in mid 19th century Kingstown.

There little Garden of Remembrance. Strange that it only records deaths from the early 20th Century on.

jordo

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 pm

Jordo,

An old friend of mine from the 1960s, Valerie Carrie, her Dad was vicar there I am sure
Lovely old Victorian Church.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:59 pm

nice one jordo and nice photos -you are a well travelled man :D :D
grammer

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Really is beautiful Enviro, would love to get a look at the inside.
jordo

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm

HAHAHA grammer, is that a nice way of saying I'm a bit of a knacker :D
jordo

Postby grammer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 pm

:D :D :D :D
no :mrgreen: but your doing a lot of mooching about out this way :D
grammer

Re: Parish of The Holy Trinity Killiney.

Postby jordo » Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Most of us will be familiar with this building on Killiney Beach and I would appreciate any information no matter how insignificant it might seem or indeed any old photos of it in its heyday as there might be a family connection. I will not post the little I know of it just yet as it might muddy the waters.

jordo

Postby Strum » Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Check out Farmboys local photos Jordo. Also mine and Snowys in Killiney photos. Chiro had a few stories to tell aswell.
Hope you get some info about it.
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks Strum, just gone through those that would open. I am particularly interested in pre 1960 ones and also the history of the place. As I said I will explain but am waiting in the hope that someone will come up with names without any prompting from me.
jordo

Postby grammer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 pm

could I suggest the name "Homan"(if that is the correct spelling) they also sold fish in Dalkey
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Just came across this while browsing, the building on the beach was owned by the Homan family, they owned the rowing boats which they hired out to the train loads of Dubs on their Sunday day trips. I knew Freddie who was the Dad, he worked in the OPW at the harbour, the building on stilts was a tearooms, which in my Dad's day was the "in place", there were regular dances and I believe my Uncle played the violin in the band, the tearooms became a store room for the boats in the Winter and were repaired there for the next Summer. The buildings at the rear were a guesthouse at different times where rooms were rented out to UK visitors, mostly Scottish. Freddie was assisted in the boat repairs by a man called Ollie O'Connor from Daleview Park in Ballybrack who also worked in OPW at the harbour. One of his sons I knew best was Alan Homan, he contracted M.S. and passed away at a young age, he was the best boatman I 've ever met. The tearooms became the focus of media attention when a single engined plane which had being doing loop the loops failed to come out of a dive and crashed into the sea opposite the rooms and in front of a crowded beach, I can't remember what year it was, late 50's maybe, could'nt believe my eyes, we all helped in the rescue effort, but, two men died in the plane.
A big threat to the tearooms was the railway bank being set on fire when the grass was dry by the smuts containing sparks from the steam engines passing by. Underneath the tearooms was a great courting spot, not that I'd know anything about such carry on in those days !!!
I am shocked to see them in such condition, wonder what ever happened the family, Freddie is long gone, I know that, who owns it now, does anybody know. I loved being there almost every day in the Summer and most Winter days as well.
Hope you see this, it's a long time since the last post here.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am

We spent our Sundays on Killiney having Sandwiches! and pots of tea. Today I was reading the minutes of a budget meeting of DunLaoghaire Rathdown co Co... 19 December 2012... and they propose to introduce a car parking charge at the car park at Killiney. What! I know loads of people use the car park to go on the DART but the ordinary punter who wants to take the children to the beach during the summer will now have to pay!! There is no other vehicular access to the beach.What next!!What about a toll charge for those going for a dip??
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 am

Rocker wrote:. . . . .Today I was reading the minutes of a budget meeting of DunLaoghaire Rathdown co Co. . .

Sorry to see your holiday is not going so well Rocker.
Hope things pick up soon
:)
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

every time I hear the song "Under the boardwalk" my mind goes straight back to the below those tea rooms. Wonderful memories.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Return to KILLINEY.