Kilcoole Golf Club

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Kilcoole Golf Club

Postby masterblaster » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello all,
those of you who have an interest in golf will be saddened by the news that Kilcoole golf club is about to close.As a member of the club these past 10 years I received the news from the Management committee with great sadness.The decision was reached because it was no longer viable and it was decided that it was in the best interest of the members.

For some years the club has been struggling and unable to make ends meet, despite the best efforts of all concerned.I will cherish the memories of so many happy hours spent 'hacking' about the course and the not so friendly debates which took place on the 19th!. To one and all a big "Thank you"
masterblaster

Re: Kilcoole Golf Club

Postby Toss » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:50 pm

masterblaster wrote:Hello all,
those of you who have an interest in golf will be saddened by the news that Kilcoole golf club is about to close.As a member of the club these past 10 years I received the news from the Management committee with great sadness.The decision was reached because it was no longer viable and it was decided that it was in the best interest of the members.

For some years the club has been struggling and unable to make ends meet, despite the best efforts of all concerned.I will cherish the memories of so many happy hours spent 'hacking' about the course and the not so friendly debates which took place on the 19th!. To one and all a big "Thank you"

Sorry to hear that MB, golf membership is very compeditive these days and often not very good value when you consider how often the average golfer plays. The advent of the NAMA courses offering cheap membership has no doubt effected the market as has the drink driving (loss of bar/catering revenue), as well as the ego's of those in positions of power who want to leave their mark and often waste a lot of money in the process. I hope you find a new golfing home that you can hack up to your hearts content (like the rest of us) and will give you years more pleasure.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby masterblaster » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Couldn't have put it better Toss!
masterblaster

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:49 pm

So sorry to hear of the closure of your club masterblaster. An awful lot of clubs of every description are failing mainly because dedicated volunteers are dying off and younger folk don't have the time nor the inclination to help out. Hope you get a new club soon. I never was any good at golf but know how much pleasure friends have had at the game over the years.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby masterblaster » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Rocker wrote:So sorry to hear of the closure of your club masterblaster. An awful lot of clubs of every description are failing mainly because dedicated volunteers are dying off and younger folk don't have the time nor the inclination to help out. Hope you get a new club soon. I never was any good at golf but know how much pleasure friends have had at the game over the years.

Seems to be the way things are going nowadays Rocker, The age profile in Kilcoole GC was very high and as such it suited us 'Oul Fellas' The younger people have opted for 18 hole courses and who can blame them. As a young lad I 'caddied' in Dun Laoghaire and Killiney,but in all honesty, I never thought that one day I would be a member of a golf club.These past few years, clubs have been looking for and getting a'Kings Ransom' in membership fees - however, I personally feel that the tide is turning, and clubs will have to have a rethink if they wish to continue in existence. Golf clubs in this country are going through tough times,as are the people who make up their membership - however, I wish all of them well.It looks like coffee and scones from here on lads !
masterblaster

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear of the closure of the Golf Club a lot of people I know played there. Hope they find another place to play.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:47 pm

That's a pity MB, filmed a lot there for Glenroe, I've noticed that several Golf Clubs I pass on a regular basis in rural areas have large signs on the roadside offering cut price memberships, some years ago you couldn't afford to become a member and waiting lists were lengthy, they are also offering carvery lunches at weekends to the general public.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY