National St. John the Baptist School Blackrock.

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

National St. John the Baptist School Blackrock.

Postby masterblaster » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello Friends just wondering how many remember this school (long Gone).As a lad I attended there for a few years.It was built of granite and most surely would still be standing were it not for the then Parish priest who sold it to a developer.It was situated next to the Church on temple Rd.opposite St Josephs priest college, now part of the'Rock by pass.A mere stones throw from The Buildings or St. Annes Square.
I remember the Principal,a Mr Murphy,whose remains are located in Deans Grange cemetary,another was 'Macker' or Mc Donald and lastly Mr Breen (wiggie)
It also served on Sunday mornings as the local burial society (Dan Donnegans) where a modest weekly sum was paid to defray burial costs I'm told.Anyone photos? 8-)
masterblaster

Re: National St. John the Baptist School Blackrock.

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Oh masterblaster..I remember it well. Alas we have no photos. another member Spudseamus has been looking for one for years.
I was in the choir at Blackrock church and we used to practice in the class rooms of the boys school...sitting on top of the desks...they were too small for us as young adults. In the early 60's the Legion of Mary ran a creche in the school to look after children while their parents were at mass and myself and several legionnaires were assigned that task every Sunday...hard work I can tell you..we only had about eight children at a time but they wore us out racing around the grounds of the school. We used to lock the gates!!
The school had a great reputation and many a scholar came through those gates.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Masterblaster
My late father went there around 1912. I also cannot find a photo of the school but I do remember it. I have a couple of books presented to my father for school attendance.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby masterblaster » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Evenin'all,reading thru so many of the Post's re Blackrock/St.John the Baptist School etc,I'm gettin a little confused! I went at first to Carysfort Convent, (Sr Natty) was the principal at that time and as far as I can remember this was around 1946.Very handy to get to, as we lived in Sweetmans Ave, AKA Chapel Lane! Next stop was St. John the Baptist school on Temple Road, beside the catholic church also of the same name.

I dont recall any school on the Ave in all my time there,there was a Carmelite order of nuns there OK which was an enclosed order but it was not a teaching school.Carnegie lorry's had a depot there, and there was also an old forge as I recall.Also two lanes known locally as, Moores (Katie) Lane and, Blow Byrne's Lane, which housed one of the last occupants of a group of derelict cottages.
masterblaster

Postby Snowhite » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:24 pm

masterblaster wrote:Evenin'all,reading thru so many of the Post's re Blackrock/St.John the Baptist School etc,I'm gettin a little confused! I went at first to Carysfort Convent, (Sr Natty) was the principal at that time and as far as I can remember this was around 1946.Very handy to get to, as we lived in Sweetmans Ave, AKA Chapel Lane! Next stop was St. John the Baptist school on Temple Road, beside the catholic church also of the same name.

I dont recall any school on the Ave in all my time there,there was a Carmelite order of nuns there OK which was an enclosed order but it was not a teaching school.Carnegie lorry's had a depot there, and there was also an old forge as I recall.Also two lanes known locally as, Moores (Katie) Lane and, Blow Byrne's Lane, which housed one of the last occupants of a group of derelict cottages.

Blow Byrne's Lane ... :D that was my Grt Grandfather Hugh Byrne, ;) he lived in Nolan's Court my mam told me they called it Blow Byrne's lane after him, he had some kind of Breathing problem.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Navanman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 pm

My father (Halpins) lived in the cottages at the top of Sweetmans Ave (at the sharp bend) and also in the 2 story houses along there.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Masterblaster,

I went to Carysfort about 1956 and Sr Nathy was still there as the headnun.
My mother had gone to Carysfort from 1920 to about 1931 and Sr nathy was there then!!!...she was some woman...I did not like her and she did not like me as she remembered my mother. It was sad but in the 20's the nuns treated the children from the tenements very badly and barely tolerated them in the class. Granted, it was difficult even to have a copybook when eight to ten people lived in one room but, the nuns were no help.

Most people in Blackrock lived in Sweetmans avenue at some time(I forgot it used to be called Chapel Lane). When I look at the 1911 census I see most of the Blackrock names. I had various cousins living there over the years. were those Carnegies related to the now undertakers?

When you look at the old maps from the late 1800 there appear to be two schools...one at the convent and one at White hall
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,721535,729241,7,8

I remember O'Leary's bakery moved to that White Hall premises in the 60's. I remember a friend's mother used to get bridge rolls there for birthday parties and we used to pick them up...needless to remark we always asked for a few bits to nibble on our way home.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:44 pm

I was there with Mr. Mc Donald ! I started in Carysfort in 57 as Rocked did and then to St. John the Baptist and had the task of telling Cunner that Mr. Mc Donald had passed away ! I chit meself when he thought I was having a joke and he reached for Nappertandy !
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Sweetman's Avenue.

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm off on one of my tangents. I'm looking at Sweetman's avenue.....

Looking at the census for 1901 lots of names I know Cannon, Wolfe, Gill ....Cartons and Fogarty would eventually move to Stradbrook.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... _s_Avenue/

Then in 1911 still a lot of the same names.My Great Grand aunts (sisters) were in 42 and 56....next door to Navanman's relations...Oh if they had only written it down...

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... _s_Avenue/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY