Shanganagh River

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Shanganagh River

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Couldn't find a topic for Shanganagh River so starting this without access to my Hidden Streams book.

Looking at Strum's map of streams posted on Monkstown Stream it would appear that the Shanganagh Stream goes into the sea beyond Killiney. for the last number of weeks i have been watching the Council workers with a digger working tirelessly moving large amounts of stones from the river mouth. Not a minute too soon the winds last night were on shore and i haven't seen waves like those for years....surfing will be the order of the day today. The good work will have averted flooding along the river.

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3552057
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Shanganagh River

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Rocker wrote: for the last number of weeks i have been watching the Council workers with a digger working tirelessly moving large amounts of stones from the river mouth.

Thats my favourite stretch of the beach between the two Rivers Rocker.
They do it every Monday usually because the tides keep pushing the stones back onto the beach and they block the river mouth and it meanders off down towards Killiney and the other river/stream, the Clonkeen about 500 yards away. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Rocker
Do you know what - I clicked on your link and it brought me back about 50 years or more.

I have not been down to that particular spot since I was very young. I vaguely remember playing there.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:23 am

Navanman wrote:I have not been down to that particular spot since I was very young. I vaguely remember playing there.

Come on down...it is as good as ever and very few people go to that end of beach.The last few days the waves have been huge...lots of foolhardy people going much too close and getting drenched..the power of that water...I never go close on stormy days...many a time when we were kids i lost my footing on those shifting pepples and went right under...my mother was a great powerful swimmer and dragged me out .....
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 am

There is a very good website....the Geological Survey of Ireland one and details of a field trip to Killiney Strand are here

http://www.gsi.ie/Education/Sites+Walks ... +Beach.htm

The one great thing we had at Dominican was teachers who were passionate about their subjects. We had this amazing woman Miss O'Riordan a big country woman who loved geography and geology...she went out every weekend walking, potholling and just nature watching. She brought the whole world to our desks in Dún Laoghaire and gave us itchy feet to explore the world. Geoolloogy...long drawn with a Kerry accent was her favourite topic and I still astound myself by being able to see scree and rock strata etc where ever I go :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:15 am

Mrs Spud wants to know if you had a mrs Mc Carthy for commerce Rocker?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 am

Ah Spud there is a name from the past. Yes had Mrs McCarthy for commerce...gave us a good grounding in profit and loss etc...of course, I was nipping in and out on Saturdays and Bank holidays to my Kilmartins job where I learned all my book keeping..they ran a tight ship every half penny was balanced every night...great experience.
My favourite teacher in Dominican was a maths teacher Mrs Cullinan..she had a great love of maths which she passed on...gave us a great head start.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Derrindaffderg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

The bridge over this river is actually the oldest bridge in the borough according to this site ....

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-r ... -harbours/

Last edited by Derrindaffderg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 am

I've driven over that a thousand times and never saw it from the river or knew the age of the Bridge. Great info, thanks.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Good one Derrin. Wasn't this the Main Road from the City to Bray way back?
Only two weeks ago the Water was almost coming over the top of the Bridge.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:40 pm

We had a fishing club on the Shanganagh River long ago, needless to say it was called "Shanganagh Anglers" I was Secretary for a few years, but the long standing Secretary was was Mr O'Reilly from Pearse Villas. Most the members were from Ballybrack, Loughlinstown, Bray and Sallynoggin, sad to relate it faded away when culverts and housing schemes began to be developed, any of us still alive are members of the Wicklow Anglers. It was a fine Sea Trout and Brown Trout river, with the odd Salmon that escaped the net at the mouth of river on the beach :roll: Not telling who would do such a thing as net any Salmon there, suffice to say it's better to go after midnight. :roll: :roll:
keeper

Postby Micheál » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 am

Your codding me ?
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 am

No Micheál ! No, it was the Plaice to be, a bit of Floudering by times agreed and speed was of the essence before you were completey Pollocked trying to swim with the net held in your gob, could have done with electric eels a few times. The unfortunate salmon thought they were at the Dargle and on their way up to Varlie Goulding safe haven pool :shock: the big puzzle was when we got a smoked Cod and chips one night in the net, :shock: :shock: we divided the Salmon amongst us, usually in bar of The Druids Chair. Brilliant nights up there with Milo O'Shea, Maureen Toal and the unfortunate Eoin O'Sullabhâin, what story tellers they were.
keeper

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 am

keeper wrote:We had a fishing club on the Shanganagh River long ago, needless to say it was called "Shanganagh Anglers" I was Secretary for a few years, but the long standing Secretary was was Mr O'Reilly from Pearse Villas. Most the members were from Ballybrack, Loughlinstown, Bray and Sallynoggin, sad to relate it faded away when culverts and housing schemes began to be developed, any of us still alive are members of the Wicklow Anglers. It was a fine Sea Trout and Brown Trout river, with the odd Salmon that escaped the net at the mouth of river on the beach :roll: Not telling who would do such a thing as net any Salmon there, suffice to say it's better to go after midnight. :roll: :roll:

Sad to say Keeper in the last 12 years or so that I've been up there I have only seen very small what looked like Trout, and small Eels at the rainwater drains. I would have been blown away if I'd ever seen Salmon.
Also lots of Mallards, Herons and other great wildlife but over the last five years or so they have all but disappeaared.
Where did you fish? Somewhere up the Mountains?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

keeper wrote:No Micheál ! No, it was the Plaice to be, a bit of Floudering by times agreed and speed was of the essence before you were completey Pollocked trying to swim with the net held in your gob, could have done with electric eels a few times. The unfortunate salmon thought they were at the Dargle and on their way up to Varlie Goulding safe haven pool :shock: the big puzzle was when we got a smoked Cod and chips one night in the net, :shock: :shock: we divided the Salmon amongst us, usually in bar of The Druids Chair. Brilliant nights up there with Milo O'Shea, Maureen Toal and the unfortunate Eoin O'Sullabhâin, what story tellers they were.

:D :D
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Strum ! The Shanganagh is the coming together of several streams at Loughlinstown, we've talked about these streams here before, but, for this thread The Shanganagh runs from the main Bray Road to the Beach, but I'm sure you are well acquainted with it, so along Commons Road to the Beach was the main fishing stretch. There was a large pool where the original railway ran close to the Beach, there used to be two old girders spanning the river, I'd say well gone by now, the railway had to be moved inland at that point because of erosion, well that pool was great for eels and flounder. When they filled the valley in Watson's Nurseries with a dump they culverted that particular stream, Seapoint RFC and Cabinteely Boys AFC playing fields are right on top of it, you could get a reasonable trout up as far as Johnstown Road. That dump effectively ended the Shanganagh, no controls or regulations so it became toxic, no one gave a damn about it. We kept the club going for the only reason that it entitled us to compete at Leinster, National and possibly International level fishing competitions but by then we were all in the Wicklow Anglers in Roundwood and the Shanganagh died slowly. I am glad to see that you have seen trout in it again, maybe it's cleaning up again, but I still believe that dump is still seeping toxic waste into it. I have seen those blocks on the bridge but never thought anything about them, in those days there wasn't the interest there is now.
It maybe of interest to some people here that there was also The Shanganagh Gun Club, they had shooting rights over a huge swathe of lands right up to The Golden Ball, Kilternan, Lehaunstown and parts of the Brides Glen before it all became a concrete jungle.
keeper

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Interesting Keeper thanks for that. My friend lives beside Bayview and that estate is built on what was known as Hacketstown Dump, so that Bridge was in Hacketstown as it was known back then. But what is still happening is the River erodes the banks exposing the old dump and all kinds of rubbish from bed bases, springs, old bikes etc etc etc keep falling into the River. All the residents got together about 12 years ago for a River cleanup and the coco provided litter pickers, a few skips, rubbish bags etc and promised they would help out every year. We all did a great job over two days BUT they reneged on that promise (of course) every year after that because they "couldn't afford to" typical, so it's back to the way it was now, a mess. Also at times the River is Milky and smells like washing machine water but the only homes I can think of would be on commons road but they'd hardly have their household waste water flowing in to the River, would they?
Anyway it's coming from somewhere, maybe Rathsallagh estate? And that my friend is why all the wildlife around has disappeared in recent years. Shame.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Keeper, when I was a young fella, my friend's Dad was in the Shanganagh Gunclub. We used to go to Shankill on a Sunday morning and shoot on land, that I was told, belonged to an Egyptian called Baradi. This was somewhere near the corner of Corbawn.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Great info there Keeper you really brought me back there-

also love this
keeper wrote:No Micheál ! No, it was the Plaice to be, a bit of Floudering by times agreed and speed was of the essence before you were completey Pollocked trying to swim with the net held in your gob, could have done with electric eels a few times. The unfortunate salmon thought they were at the Dargle and on their way up to Varlie Goulding safe haven pool :shock: the big puzzle was when we got a smoked Cod and chips one night in the net, :shock: :shock: we divided the Salmon amongst us, usually in bar of The Druids Chair. Brilliant nights up there with Milo O'Shea, Maureen Toal and the unfortunate Eoin O'Sullabhâin, what story tellers they were.

Brilliant -Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for the update Strum, no, I wouldn't say the houses along Commons Road would be to blame, that pollution could be from further afield, as I mentioned, there's three streams, one from The Brides Glen down along Cherrywood Road, another from Lehaunstown direction and the one from Watson's direction, so it could be from anywhere.
Jemser, I wasn't involved with the gun club but I knew quite a few of the members, Sunday mornings was their usual outing. They had access to a lot of private land in the area, I can't remember the name you mentioned, but I do remember them talking about shooting down around there.
Thanks Grammer, glad you enjoyed it :lol: I could relate some hilarious nights adventures down there, looking back, we were complete nut bags, I now know that the uncontrollable shivering was in fact Hypothermia :roll: :lol:
keeper

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 pm

keeper wrote:Thanks for the update Strum, no, I wouldn't say the houses along Commons Road would be to blame, that pollution could be from further afield, as I mentioned, there's three streams, one from The Brides Glen down along Cherrywood Road, another from Lehaunstown direction and the one from Watson's direction, so it could be from anywhere.

Must be from the new Cherrywood Estates up near the Luas then?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Jemser
That reminds me. I remember a big house about half way down on the RHS on Corbawn Lane. It had peacocks (or peahens?) wandering around freely. Beautiful big feathers. The house may still be there.

NM
Navanman

Postby Jemser » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 am

Hi Navanman, yeah I think those Peacocks died of severe lead poisoning (bang! bang!) if ye get me drift. evillaugh
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY