Blackrock

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Blackrock

Postby keeper » Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 am

Aye, indeed Sir Grammer Galahad I will, you lead I'll follow M'lud :D
Spud, we are well progressed from Billy carts, check out the latest craze over here, it's due to to hit the 'Boro anyday soon, although it's been a Traveller tradition it hit the headlines over the weekend below in The People's Republic of Cork, "Sulky Racing" :shock: :shock: it's on Youtube :shock:
First race in the 'Boro will be from Lourdes Corner to the Peoples Park :shock:
Maybe you could send a couple of good fast piebald ponies (trotters) over to Grammer and Strum and we could beat these boys at their own game :P :P
The ponies must be trained to be unaware of heavy traffic, police cars, trucks and must be able to use both sides of the road/motorway in spite of oncoming traffic :shock:
Now about the misty drizzling dull morning and walking swmbo, ah, I forget what I was going to say :(
Now I'm gonna get it for going off topic :roll:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sinead » Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 am

How could Grammer wear the sleeves of an armoured suit at elbow length????

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 am

Dont worry Keeper we are all well off topic - its photos of Blackrock.

Saw that Sulky Racing on the telly last night - something else. Reminds me of story of when my mother from Blackrock met my da from DunLaoghaire she couldn't believe that they had a horse and trap and went out in it. That was in the 1940's so don't know if many had horses in DunLaoghaire then. We must have horses in the blood as my late brother was a "horse whisperer" who loved horses (very handy for betting). We used to laugh at him in Leopardstown he would nod at a horse and say "he will win" and sure enough he would! Never saw many horses in Blackrock in my time.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Sinead :D a hacksaw is a great man for adjustments, oh, and a file to smooth the cuffs :D oh, janey, we are in for some lash now :shock:
Rocker, I'm sure there were loads of horses around Blackrock, nearly all delivery businesses used them, Dun Laoghaire residents were posh and could afford traps, green ones mostly !! up in the Noggin we didn't need traps because the place was full of wild horses left behind by the Red Indians, we were cowboys :? something that stayed with us for life, well, I was told loads of times while working that we were just a bunch of cowboys :(
It's a pity your brother didn't pass on his knowledge to you, you would be the most popular member, especially on a Saturday afternoon :D we could have had a hotline and clean Paddy Powers out, just for once :D
I am sure if you checked back there must be some photos of horses in Blackrock, the village and surrounds were full of gentry, there were stables at one house in Waltham Tce, they were converted to a garage and studio for the then owners, so, there must have been more around as well.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Pure Food

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Folks,

I have been instructed to take more exercise so walked to Blackrock today. Phew!
Just as I was passing the Blackrock Market a lovely girl was putting out a sign for breads and cakes. Now, that tempted me so I strolled into the market with her and down to her shop Pure Food.

Coeliacs of the world rejoice this girl and her mother have started a bakery for Gluten free, Wheat free, Dairy free products. I bought the Banana Bread and a Lovely brown.

No sooner was I in the door home than I had a cup of coffee with the Banana Bread. Scrummy OMG it has pecan and walnuts and hits just about all the right places. Can't wait to start on the loaf.
She has scones, granola, breads and at the weekends makes cakes. She is way at the back of the market but when you go in take the right turn and keep walking till you see the bakery on the left.
http://www.purefood.ie
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sweet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Ah yes, but does she have cream cakes? I miss cream cake. They love their 'wee buns' an' tray bakes here. :evil:
Internet's just gone off cos of a thunderstorm, my windows are shaking!! :shock:
Sweet

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Sweet,

I hope you have survived the GREAT DELUGE, was Noah there and have you two cats..?
Male/Female of course...to keep on line they would love Carraig Dubh...!!!
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 am

We live on a hill, Enviro, we rarely flood badly, though it got close in November. The weather conditions are effecting my t'internet, tho. I'm just glad that I don't live in Colerado. I've two canaries, both male. I'm sure they'd love banana bread from Blackrock.
Sweet

Pure Food

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 am

I was thinking of getting some more of that Banana Bread so went into the website to find out their opening times

Wednesday and Thursday 10.00a.m to 2 p.m.
Friday 10.00a.m. to 4p.m
Saturday and Sunday 10.00 a.m to 5 p.m.

and they have a stall at the DunLaoghaire market on Sundays 10.00 a.m to 4 p.m.
No cream cakes sorry !
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

I need cream cakes, coffee slices from the deli in Patrick's St.
Sweet

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:46 pm

what's going on here ?????????
Blackrock topic is turning into a food an animal discussion. :? :? :? :? :?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Ok, lovely soup from the Chinese Chipshop in Blackrock. The Winter of the Big Snow, when was that? 1980/81? I'd gone to Funderland with my boyfriend, and while we were there the snow came. 46As couldn't get up or down Foxrock Hill, so we started walking home. We were half dead by the time we got to BLACKROCK ( :P ), but the Chinese was open, and packed full of frozen people. We got chips & soup, and just as we were about to start munching, a Out of Service bus appeared out of nowhere, an' let loads of us on. Free, I might add. We got thrown off, to face the elements, in Monkstown village, but we did make it home, eventually. By the by, most of my conversations involve cake. Or animals/birds. :D :D :D
Sweet

Postby spudseamus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:42 am

jazess im showin' me age when I say the only thing that was Chinese in my day in Blackrock was a burn on the back of your hand put there by a fellow schoolboy from St.John the Baptist!!! :lol:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:42 am

Spud,

Me too!! but there was the BEST Italian fish and chip shop in Georges Avenue - a one and one. We would be sent down for the bag of chips ( maybe only one) and the kettle would be put on and tea made and bread buttered so that when you ran back in the chip sandwiches could be made! God I can taste them now. The two in the shop used to speak Italian and I'd say they had many a laugh as us but he was decent and often threw in a big lump of fried batter to augment the chips. He knew there were five hungry mouths waiting!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:42 pm

As a boy in the 60s , I used to visit a relative in Blackrock on Sundays - the real reason was to watch TV 'cause we had none. I was usually given my bus fare home which I 'sacrificed' in favour of a bag of chips in that chipper in Georges Avenue.

The joy of dining on the hoof to Monkstown late at night (after Jimmy O'Dea and David Kelly in that signal box in "O'Dea's Your Man") was always tempered with the anxiety of the street lighting going out before I got home. They tended to 'get' me at Stradbrook whereupon I'd break into a run for the remained of the journey for fear of pishogs or whatever.

Cant remember what time exactly those lights went out. 15 past midnight I think.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:57 am

:D :D
yeah Micháel about 10 past midnight -altho there was some basket who used to knock them off early the odd night
often at 10 to 12.
used to frighten the kite outta yeh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Another distinctive Blackrock memory . . . .
my first sighting of a colour television - in the window of McKinleys store.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Micheál,

Don't get me going about old Blackrock.It was a lovely little town I can only remember a few old shops, Findlaters, Fergusons, Lafayette&Fry, The Black Dog, the Lilac Rooms, Sleights, Willoughby's, McMahon's chemist, The Regent cinema, The Lido, Grehans the butcher and Taaffe the butcher, Horlichers.I can't remember when the first colour T.V's came in but I know we had our big Sierra dial up long long after its sell by date.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 am

Rocker wrote:Spud,

Me too!! but there was the BEST Italian fish and chip shop in Georges Avenue - a one and one. We would be sent down for the bag of chips ( maybe only one) and the kettle would be put on and tea made and bread buttered so that when you ran back in the chip sandwiches could be made! God I can taste them now. The two in the shop used to speak Italian and I'd say they had many a laugh as us but he was decent and often threw in a big lump of fried batter to augment the chips. He knew there were five hungry mouths waiting!!

I remember them well and their Ray and chips were great -- I used to go in there with me Da and he would sing Neapolitan songs for them!! (in Italian of course) and manys a night there would be some extra chips in the wrap!! -- I remember they used news paper for wrappin the Ray and chips !! (early days) Me old man used to work for the coal shop in Blackrock
spudseamus

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Spud,

If only my mother was still with us. She would have known your dad. She knew everyone in Blackrock and who they married and who their first cousin twenty times removed was. We used to deal with Ms Kavanagh in Carysfort Avenue for coal (only a few bags a year) but there was always the big perfomance - so many bags of coal and so many bags of slack and then we spent the winter mixing potatoe skins with the slack to bank down the fire. We used to get bags of clinkers at Seapoint to add to this too.

Can your Dad really sing in Italian?. My old uncle used to go to every Opera (in the Gods) and he could sing any inticate song too. Wern't they so much more cultured. My granny in Stradbrook must have been a scream as she held song nights in the house in the 30's and everyone coming in would be issued with the sheet music. The gramaphone would be wound up and off they would go!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 am

My mother is a Kennedy from Stradbrook park! and me Da is a Murphy from Brennanstown -- he was a pupil of the Academy of music in Dublin in the 40's -- won a medal in 42 in the Ard Feis as a lyrical tenor -- styled his voice on John McCormack -- my childhood was just full of music --happy days :D
spudseamus

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 am

You're right about the musical culture that existed in the Boro in the 30's,40's, and 50's. We may not have had a penny in our house but we had a piano,accordion and many mouth organs. Brains here was the only one of the family who didn't try to learn to play any of them but I did try to sing at the many Hoolies that took place in the house. Happy Days. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 am

Enviro500 wrote:Spud,,

"JUST ONE CORNETTO, GIVE IT TO ME, DELICIOUS ICE A CREAM FOR DE FAMILIE" to the music of "O' Solo Mio'....

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 am

Forgot to put up this welcome for a special little chap Cian who will be 10 days old today. Technically, he has been born outside the Boro but generations of all sides of his family are from DunLaoghaire and Blackrock so he has salt in his blood. Welcome baby Cian.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 am

ahh thats nice ! welcome Cian
spudseamus

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY