Blackrock

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Blackrock

Postby Gulliver » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:40 am

From a report on the Meath Field Names Project

"In times gone by, nicknames were commonly used, a tradition that has declined a lot in Meath in recent times. Where former owners were known by a nickname this often features in the field name. Fields names like Bammer's, Mire's, The Jockey's, Gong's Field and many, many others all come from previous owner's nicknames. The Major's, The Rake's and the Mockey Shalvey's are other colourful names the have arisen.

Linked to their shape, triangular shaped fields often have special names. These can range from the obvious 'The Triangle' to 'The Handkerchief' and best of all 'The Smoothing Iron'
."
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks Gulliver...I knew we Rockers would choose the best of them all....The Smoothing Iron.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly where the Cemetary is in Blackrock ?? I have just found out that some of my husbands family are buried there, is it in good condition ..as in.... what are the headstones like ? are they readable, would I be able to find a grave easily ? one dates back to 1985 and the other 1902.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Sinead » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Snowy, are you talking about the Quaker Burial Grounds?

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 am

Yes Sinead, I think it is, I've had this family tree for years and only noticed tonight that two of the people on it are buried in Temple Hill Monkstown, ?? also just found one of them on The Census 1901, Residents of a house 106 in Ballybrack (Killiney, Dublin) would love to know where the house was or is ;)
Snowhite

Postby Sinead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:31 pm

The Burial Grounds are between Newtownpark Avenue and Temple Hill. If you can access the Tithe Books on line you should see a map which will give you where that house is. Failing that I am sure DLRCC has the books relating to Killiney Urban District Council. Best I can do for you Snowy.
Have a great holiday, I am stuck here until February so I envy you just like Grammer.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Snowhite » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:04 pm

I'll go have a look at The Cemetary when I'm back Thank's Sinead. Tried looking online for those Tithe Books but no luck. dontknow The people I'm looking for are Samuel Vallis Peet and his wife Augusta Peet nee Driver.

February wont be long coming round Sinead for your Holiday ;)
Snowhite

Postby Rocker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Snowy,

The Quakers have the most amazing records and the cemetery is looked after by a fellow called Goodbody. Again they have marvellous records. The Quakers house in Stocking Lane should be the one to contact.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:37 pm

The name of Samuel Vallis Peet is recorded in The Dublin Almanac & General Register of Ireland 1847 at 62 Lower Charlemont St and Waterford
He is recorded in University of Dublin Catalogue 1869 as getting a BA in 1844 and in 1896 as graduating with an MA from TCD 1892
He is recorded as a barrister at 96 Summerhill in Thoms 1852, at 10 Gardiner Place in Thoms 1862 and at 27 Hatch St in Thoms 1868

He is not in the Tithe Applotments
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Sinead » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Snowy, If what Gulliver says is true I can bring you to view Alumni Dublinenses which will give the entry for this man and it will give the name, profession, religion (if not established Church) and place of residence of his father.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Sinead » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Snowy:

He lived in Evergreen Lodge, which I think is on Military Road at the time of his death, he was a diabetic.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Snowhite » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank's again Sinead I found that info about the house late last night, I'll take a walk up Miltary Rd and have a look for it when I get back. His Father was a Merchant (of what I don't know) they came from Poole in Dorset..... William Peet married Love Vallis in June 1820 and they had 11 children :o Samuel was the eldest and how they came to live in Ballybrack/Killiney I don't know either, most of the other family were in Tramore, Waterford (Pickardstown House) another location I'll have to look up when I'm next in Waterford, unfortunately Samuel & Augusta never had children :( Samuel was a Barrister and to this Day there are still some in the family ;) Fascinated by this side of the Family now but mostly for my sons to know about them and their Heritage. My husbands Great Great Grandfather was Samuel's youngest brother Edward George Peet.

And somewhere along the line on my husbands Granny's side (Saunders was her maiden name) this is still in her Family. Might go knocking on few doors :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockingham_Castle
Snowhite

Postby Gulliver » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:36 am

Snowhite wrote:His Father was a Merchant (of what I don't know) they came from Poole in Dorset.....

Peet & Co are recorded in The Dublin Almanac 1847 as "tea dealers and spirit merchants, 1 Chatam Row, William St"
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 am

I keep forgetting about the schools collection on the Duchas site and just spent an hour looking at the Blackrock stories. My mother left Carysfort in 1932 and I had hoped to see something related by one of her family but, I remember the McGings and the Roes and the Murphys.

http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4428227/4387300
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Some of you might remember years ago a gas explosion in Blackrock and two houses opposite the church on the back road near the corner of St. Anne's square were blown up. The families lost their homes and the site has remained derelict ever since.

Tonight I was passing and the site has been almost cleared and a photo of what they will build is up on the hoarding. It looks like two very nice houses. It will be a great location for some lucky families.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 am

Good to see something done with the site that explosion was in 2009 I remember the year because at the time I was in the rock a lot due to having a loved one (rip) in the hospice .
Holla

Postby Sinead » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Because of Rocker I looked at Blackrock to-day as I came through on the bus.
I am absolutely amazed at the number of vacant shops. When Dun Laoghaire
was dying The Rock always seemed to be vibrant but this seems to have
changed. Very sad to see this happen.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

Pity I hadn't got a camera with me yesterday. We were cutting through the church car park on our way for breakfast in Wetherspoons when we looked at the parking meter beside the Parochial House. We were gobsmacked to see it was "Athy Town Council". Is this a meter the church got from someone and installed in the church grounds or are Dún Laoghaire County Council making do with some cast off from Athy...the mind boggles!!...gave us something to think about as we had the yummy breakfast.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Sinead wrote:Because of Rocker I looked at Blackrock to-day as I came through on the bus.
I am absolutely amazed at the number of vacant shops. When Dun Laoghaire
was dying The Rock always seemed to be vibrant but this seems to have
changed. Very sad to see this happen.

Sinéad

Sorry for being so late with this remark . . .

I was told by someone in the know that a major commercial office tenant relocated to another site in the City and that this left a big gap in the footfall for local services.

Don't know if it's yet filled or what.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Neptune House at Temple Crescent has been converted into four amazing apartments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3259761
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 am

Was reading an old Southside paper this morning and saw a report of the erection of a park seat at Carysfort Park to the late Paddy Craddock. Paddy who during my childhood lived in Brookfield was a great runner. Almost every night he passed our house and always had a cheerful wave. Over the years he was the leading light in the Blackrock athletic Club and many local men women and children trained and ran with him. He was a great marathon runner and ran in the first Dublin Marathon. He passed away in June this year. I'd say he ran well into his 70's. May he rest in Peace....he was an inspiration over 60 years to Rockers.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Jemser » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Rocker, I didn't know that Paddy Craddock passed away earlier this year. Indeed he was a great character in Blackrock Athletic Club. He was there when my son Peter was a member of said club, always available for the kids and adults alike. He was a really kind and always upbeat kind of man. Every time I met him for years after he would always ask me about Peter and how he was getting on in the USA. My he rest in Peace.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Previous

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY