Blackrock

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Blackrock

Postby Strum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Yes, as far as I remember he lived for a while in the old signal box at Merrion gates or a shed or something along there. I had a pint with him one day in the Pembrook bar on Baggot St, his "local" and as Rocker said he was very well spoken and intelligent. No idea what happened to him.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Rocker wrote:Isn't it funny how we always avoided anyone who didn't "fit in" ??.

Haha Rocker I was always drawn to "anyone who didn't fit in" Do you know this chap, also from Blackrock or Monkstown? I got chatting to him one day when he was swimming behind the Pier, also very well spoken and intelligent, ostracised by his family etc.
I offered to buy him a beer and he said no at first because he couldn't get served in pubs and hadn't been in one in over 20 years. So I dragged him up to Witherspoons and when the barman came over and asked him to leave I told him we were playing a gig in the Pavilion that night and he was the Drummer. Oh, ok what are ye having? :lol:
So we had a few beers and yer man, hate to say that ( I can't remember his name) was delighted. Anyway never judge a book by its cover and all that. thumbright.

Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Moses gets several mentions on this site, along with lots of other characters: http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-co ... cters.html
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

I remember the guy with the robe and staff. Gay Byrne had him on the Late Late Show some years back. He came across as very well educated and he was happy the way he lived and was not interested in charity.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 pm

You are great Strum and we all need a lesson from you in basic humanity. Imagine how that chap felt that night after sitting in a pub having a few pints like any "normal" person. Once we fall a little through the crack it is hard to get back and then we descend further till we no longer follow the "social mores" or whatever coping is called!!

You make me think Strum wuu wuu not a bad thing in this day and age.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Rocker wrote:You are great Strum and we all need a lesson from you in basic humanity.

Eh, now I wouldn't say that Rocker but thanks for the thought. :lol: thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby stillorgan boy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 am

Fair play Strum. Credit where its due. I am sure it meant a lot to that man. What age would you think Moses would be now, if he's hopefully still with us? 70'ish maybe?
You're never fully dressed without a smile !
stillorgan boy

Postby Strum » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 pm

stillorgan boy wrote:Fair play Strum. Credit where its due. I am sure it meant a lot to that man. What age would you think Moses would be now, if he's hopefully still with us? 70'ish maybe?

Thanks SB, I worked in bars in London over a couple of years and I can tell you I've met all sorts, and the weirdest nearly always turned to be the cleverest, if that makes any sense. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:39 am

Rocker wrote:Some of you might remember years ago a gas explosion in Blackrock and two houses opposite the church on the back road near the corner of St. Anne's square were blown up. The families lost their homes and the site has remained derelict ever since.

Tonight I was passing and the site has been almost cleared and a photo of what they will build is up on the hoarding. It looks like two very nice houses. It will be a great location for some lucky families.

Passed this again today and it looks almost finished.

A bit of you tube from 2009 showing the blown up houses,
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ga ... &FORM=VIRE

the floor plans
https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housin ... ns%202.pdf

there are 2x2bed duplex and 1x3 bedded unit.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Was up around Proby Square this morning and the noise of building and cranes everywhere. The old nursery McLysaghts is being developed.

Found this on the planning applications
Site of c0.87 hectares, Proby Square, Blackrock, Co Dublin
Proposal:
Permission for development consisting of the demolition of existing nursery
Full Description:
Permission for development consisting of the demolition of existing nursery buildings (c5,500 sqm gross floor area). Construction of 20 no. 3-storey semi-detached dwellings comprising: 2 no. 'Type A' 5-bedroom houses (c271 sqm gross floor area each); 4 no. 'Type A1' 4-bedroom houses (c 276 sqm gross floor area each); 5 no. 'Type B' 5-bedroom houses (c242 sqm gross floor area each); 1 no. 'Type B1' 5-bedroom house (c244 sqm gross floor area); 4 no. 'Type C' 4-bedroom houses (c217 sqm gross floor area each) and 4 no. 'Type D' 4-bedroom houses (c 257 sqm gross floor area each). Provision of 44 no. surface car parking spaces; widening of existing vehicular and pedestrian access off Proby Square to serve the proposed development and all ancillary site development, boundary treatment and landscape works.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Jemser » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:54 pm

How many of these very large properties will be for "Social Housing", my money is on zero.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am

Jemser wrote:How many of these very large properties will be for "Social Housing", my money is on zero.

No one starting out nowadays would have a hope of a house in Blackrock. In our childhood there were loads of rent controlled house to rent (now they were old and in bits but) so there was a great mix of people. Now its the "tuppence looking down on a penny brigade" now.

There are about three infill houses on the link road near the Frescati centre and the three opposite the church at St Anne's Square. I've no idea how much the Council will charge for these or if they are for young people on the housing list. The apartments in Honey Park are pricey enough for older lone residents on pensions some of whom moved there to free up three/four bedroom houses back to the Council.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat May 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I love when there is a family question on any site. I look in on the Blackrock Society on FB and someone there is looking for details of a family called Bullard who lived in Georges Place during the 1920's. I never heard this surname but maybe someone on here has??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 pm

I've heard rumours that the Post Office in the Frascati Centre is to close on 31/12/2018, is this true ? and if so is the Post Office to be relocated anywhere close by ? My Aunt is upset at the idea that Blackrock will have no service as she is elderly and Frascati is just about close enough for her.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 pm

keeper wrote:I've heard rumours that the Post Office in the Frascati Centre is to close on 31/12/2018, is this true ? and if so is the Post Office to be relocated anywhere close by ? My Aunt is upset at the idea that Blackrock will have no service as she is elderly and Frascati is just about close enough for her.

I heard that too this morning. Apparently with the redecoration of the Frascati centre the rents will hike and the owner is not prepared to pay the increased rent. also he has to move as the section he occupies will be redeveloped next. I think he is preparing to pull out of Blackrock altogether.
There is a big debate on a FB site I look in on Monkstowners and Blackrockers. Most people don't seem too concerned as they have cars and don't seem to use the services of the Post office. Again the only ones really affected are the poor and old and the computer illiterate. I am one of those who still writes letters and cards and I have great trouble getting stamps. I took the train to Bl;ackrock the other morning and bought a couple of books of them. I have noticed over the time that that P.O has deteriorated. The staff don't know about Prize Bonds and the nitty gritty of them. They were hazy about Savings Certs and it is an N stamp or nothing in the books..I asked if I was sending a letter abroad could I count an N as one Euro and add other stamps to make up the postage..Em!!

God be with Miss O'Shea and the way she ran the P.O in the "good old days" :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you Rocker ! That's bad news for the elderly that like to go to the Post Office to collect their cash, slowly but steadily forcing us into an online world cashless society. I find if I quiz younger sales assistants they usually can't give much information on the item only its price and try to sell you insurance cover for it, if it involves electronics or electrical.
keeper

Postby Sinead » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm

If the Post Office in Blackrock is going to close perhaps those in receipt of Government payments should
ask the local Credit Union to accept these payments for them.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

On a more positive note from Blackrock,

REMINDER - For those of you interested in writing or want to get some advice on blogging, Andrea Mara will be giving a talk in #BlackrockLibrary on Tuesday next.
No booking required, all are welcome.
6.30pm to 7.30pm.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY