Local History Books and On-line Resources

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Postby Zirco » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 am

Holla wrote:Helium =
Buller kinnane was a little before my time his son was the school attendance officer,I think mister meany got bullers job.

Zirco,=
you're bang on about the hickory I've no finger nails left :D ,actually have a photo of myself on the hickory.

Grammer posted about the hickory.....he was well acquainted with it, by all accounts. :lol:
Holla, who took the photo of you on the hickory, I'm intrigued? :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Holla » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:42 am

The Hickory was a set if steps leading to a side door,there's about ten of us standing on the steps I think it may have been our last year in the school, I've a feeling the teacher/master might of had the camera in to take a photo of the communion class
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:58 am

Holla wrote:The Hickory was a set if steps leading to a side door,there's about ten of us standing on the steps I think it may have been our last year in the school, I've a feeling the teacher/master might of had the camera in to take a photo of the communion class

What are you waiting for???? Put up the picture. wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Helium » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Holla wrote:Helium =
Buller kinnane was a little before my time his son was the school attendance officer,I think mister meany got bullers job.

Zirco,=
you're bang on about the hickory I've no finger nails left :D ,actually have a photo of myself on the hickory.

Thanks Holla, feeling very old now... scry scry scry
Helium
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 am

I know this is not about Dún Laoghaire but there are facinating facts about WW1 and the Easter Rising in this article produced by the East Wall residents. Great details about munitions factories etc

http://eastwallforall.ie/?p=2841
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Rocker wrote:I know this is not about Dún Laoghaire but there are facinating facts about WW1 and the Easter Rising in this article produced by the East Wall residents. Great details about munitions factories etc

http://eastwallforall.ie/?p=2841

Great read Rocker -great find- wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:33 pm

While we're on this subject may I ask you knowledgeable folks what these random markings on different pages in an old book I'm scanning for? Just curious thanks. ;)

markss.JPG
markss.JPG (16.04 KiB) Viewed 487 times

marks.JPG
marks.JPG (22.02 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 pm

I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:00 pm

skins wrote:I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.

I remember it well Skins, smell of pi*$$, then it was bricked up, then re-opened as a tourist office. I did see a photo of it online but, no idea now, probably from a larger photo of a different shot. Try some different keywords maybe. I'll have a search too. Ask Enviro, he just sprang to mind. One of his photos?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:01 am

Strum wrote:
skins wrote:I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.

I remember it well Skins, smell of pi*$$, then it was bricked up, then re-opened as a tourist office. I did see a photo of it online but, no idea now, probably from a larger photo of a different shot. Try some different keywords maybe. I'll have a search too. Ask Enviro, he just sprang to mind. One of his photos?

There's the old original plaque on the wall where it once stood,I think some man had it built in memory of his son who died young must have a look next time I'm down that way......Strum you think that smelled of Pi@ss go over to the Town hall and you will find some right pi@ss takers :evil:
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY