Monkstown Stream

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Monkstown Stream

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Throw a five litre bucket of white Emulsion into it. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 am

Strum :lol: :lol: :lol: that would certainly get a lot more people interested :lol: :lol: like DLCC and others :lol: :lol:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:19 am

Gulliver wrote:Next time I am in a rubber duck shop, I'll buy some, hopefully of two different types or colours. I'll toss one type into the open part of the Monkstown stream, and the other type into the open part of the Ballinclea stream - then rush down to the seafront to see if they come out, and where. Come to think of it, this is not the best time for it as the water is very low - maybe I'll put it off until about November. Must also make sure to do it at low tide - that way, we'll have a better chance of locating them at the end.
Are you on for it, Micheál

Gulliver

Ha Ha. great idea Gulliver
I bags doing the tossing; you can do the locating.
M

Ps A new Search Engine has just been launched - we might get sponsorship https://duckduckgo.com/
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 am

Micheál wrote:
Ps A new Search Engine has just been launched - we might get sponsorship https://duckduckgo.com/

Micheál,

I thought it was a joke...but, it works...there is a duck behind the settee :D
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Seen in Monkstown this morning opposite Grosvenor apartments

"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Mother of Devine . . .

How the heck did that happen? Did it fall off the back of a lorry?
Either that or its the worst case of bad parking ever recorded.

Was it heading downstream?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm

OMG. Looks really nasty. Hope no one was injured.It must have caused mayhem.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Wow looks new,maybe it did fall of a lorry,hope so.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Weird, Gulliver, was there any damage to any other cars parked nearby, or to the wall or lamp post ? otherwise it just seems to have dropped out of the sky, the airbag has activated although there doesn't appear to be any frontal damage, strange dontknow
keeper

Postby Navanman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Finders Keepers

NM
Navanman

Postby keeper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 am

Ah no NM, you can have it, actually Gulliver should claim it :lol:
PS ! Did you notice we are both over the rainbow on our Avatars :cry: is Strum trying to tell us something ? We'll be over the Hill next :cry: :cry:
keeper

Postby Navanman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah! wait till he gets to be our age and we can slag him then.

NM
Navanman

Postby Strum » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Hehe. Those "Ranks" are years old. Any suggestions welcome.

That "crash" is mysterious alright. No mention of it in the media?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:33 pm

Came across this piece when I was looking for something else. :roll: :roll: :roll:
nice piece of history.
Juggy's Well

http://www.historyeye.ie/#!juggys-well/c1zvr
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:27 am

Thanks for that grammer. Very interesting.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Harjoe wrote:Micheal you have reminded me of time gone by there was a steam that ran from Newtoenpark along what was called the NARROW lane which came out at Stradbrook Road facing where Boley Road meet the Stradbrook Road .
My Uncle George lived in the cottage at the Newtownpark end of the lane and we often played in the lane not sure if the stream branched off into Rockville before the Newtownpark end but I remember its was a very small stream would have been back in the 1950s well before Marion Park, Castlebyrne Park and Rockville Park were built.

Harjoe,
This Narrow Lane rings a distant bell with me.
I lived in the Farm in the fifties. I remember walking through a lane with a river beside it....it was a shortcut to .....where was I going? Looking at the modern map, the lane seems to be still there.
From the Farm we'd go up to Sutton's field, to TEK, then right passing Rockford Manor, down Boley Road? to Stradbrook Road, across the road and into the lane.
I vaguely remember it was on Sundays.....perhaps I was going to a football match... dontknow dontknow
:roll: :roll: :roll:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:16 pm

The Workman's Club played in Newtown Park in the 50's and that was the shortcut, we took to the pitch.
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:54 pm

That Narrow Lane was still there till they built the houses opposite Castlebyrne park I think they are called Rockville. We always used to use it to go and play with my cousins in the Rockies. There is still an entrance there it has been prettified now and is used as a pedestrian shortcut by the Stradbrook people to go to the Church on NewtownPark Avenue The Guardian Angels Church. Between Stradbrook Cottages and Stradbrook gardens there was a little stream where we used to collect pinkeens. That is dried up now and the people in the Gardens use it for access into their back gardens. For years the Stradbrook road used to be impassable in the winter when it rained (big floods).I think they have done a lot of flood drainage the whole lenght of the stream as it is years since I saw that flooding.

Where was the pitch in Newtown Park where the Workman's Club played. That is where my Da would have taken me.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:48 pm

We use to go up Newtown Park Avenue turn right at Yankee Terrace and then right again at the top of the terrace and it was just around the corner after the pub. There use to be a Tram in the grounds that people live in. Just don't know the name of the road it was on.
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:We use to go up Newtown Park Avenue turn right at Yankee Terrace and then right again at the top of the terrace and it was just around the corner after the pub. There use to be a Tram in the grounds that people live in. Just don't know the name of the road it was on.

Thanks Denis,

I know where you mean. We would have appraoched it from Carysfort Ave. Up till I was 9 my Da used to take me to all the matches and i really didn't know where they were. We usually travelled on carriers on his bike. I remember the long trip to Milltown and being put over the turnstiles. i think my Da knew them and didn't pay for the children!! I remember going to TEK and Blackrock Park and somewhere in Sallynoggin. All we used to do was mess around with the other children and never watched the matches.....shame on us.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:The Workman's Club played in Newtown Park in the 50's and that was the shortcut, we took to the pitch.

Tks Denis,
I would have been demented trying to remember where I was going......great stuff. wuu wuu wuu
Did they play on a Saturday or a Sunday do you know?
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Rocker wrote:That Narrow Lane was still there till they built the houses opposite Castlebyrne park I think they are called Rockville. We always used to use it to go and play with my cousins in the Rockies. There is still an entrance there it has been prettified now and is used as a pedestrian shortcut by the Stradbrook people to go to the Church on NewtownPark Avenue The Guardian Angels Church. Between Stradbrook Cottages and Stradbrook gardens there was a little stream where we used to collect pinkeens. That is dried up now and the people in the Gardens use it for access into their back gardens. For years the Stradbrook road used to be impassable in the winter when it rained (big floods).I think they have done a lot of flood drainage the whole lenght of the stream as it is years since I saw that flooding.

Where was the pitch in Newtown Park where the Workman's Club played. That is where my Da would have taken me.

Yes, Tks Rocker I remember bad flooding on Stradbrook years ago.
The next time I'm out that way I'm going to re-visit the Narrow Lane.... wuu :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Rocker wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote:We use to go up Newtown Park Avenue turn right at Yankee Terrace and then right again at the top of the terrace and it was just around the corner after the pub. There use to be a Tram in the grounds that people live in. Just don't know the name of the road it was on.

Thanks Denis,

I know where you mean. We would have appraoched it from Carysfort Ave. Up till I was 9 my Da used to take me to all the matches and i really didn't know where they were. We usually travelled on carriers on his bike. I remember the long trip to Milltown and being put over the turnstiles. i think my Da knew them and didn't pay for the children!! I remember going to TEK and Blackrock Park and somewhere in Sallynoggin. All we used to do was mess around with the other children and never watched the matches.....shame on us.

:D :D :D
My dad was a keen soccer fan too....I used to go to TEK, Workman's Club and Shamrock Rovers in Milltown with him. My dad worked for CIE in Donnybrook and had free bus travel. We'd take the 46a from the Farm, get off at Donnybrook and walk up to Milltown Park. :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Zirco wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote:The Workman's Club played in Newtown Park in the 50's and that was the shortcut, we took to the pitch.

Tks Denis,
I would have been demented trying to remember where I was going......great stuff. wuu wuu wuu

Do you remember the Nana Mouscourie song " Never on a Sunday" well the Workers always played on a Sunday. :lol: 8-)
Denis Cromie

Postby Zirco » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:44 am

Denis Cromie wrote:
Zirco wrote:

Tks Denis,

Do you remember the Nana Mouscourie song " Never on a Sunday" well the Workers always played on a Sunday. :lol: 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah great, Tks Denis wuu wuu wuu
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY